Tubby Hayes and Paul Gonsalves on cd.

Jazztropic

The Tubby Hayes/Paul Gonsalves 'Just Friends' was part of the EMI Lansdowne seried produced by Dennis Preston and originally released on UK Columbia. I don't recall any UK CD issue of this one. They also did a joint session released on World Record Club called 'Change of Setting' - again I don't think it's been reissued (allthough a track from this did appear on Vol 2 of the 'Impressed Repressed' compilation).

The Gonsalves 'Hummingbird' (without Hayes but with Kenny Wheeler in the lineup) originally issued on Deram has, however, recently been reissued by Dutton Vocalion on CD.

Edited by sidewinder

They also did a joint session released on World Record Club called 'Change of Setting' - again I don't think it's been reissued (allthough a track from this did appear on Vol 2 of the 'Impressed Repressed' compilation).

"Don't Fall of The Bridge" - nine minutes of double caffeinated heaven.

boy was I excited when I first saw the topic. one can only hope that the lull in the Brititsh re-issues means there is a deluge on the way.

There's rumours of another batch of Dutton Vocalions imminent and possibly also a volume 3 of the Giles Peterson 'Impressed Repressed' compilation from Universal. The rumours also say that the latter might include tracks by Kenny Wheeler (presumably from 'Windmill Tilter'?) and also from Vic Lewis (I'm guessing here but possibly this might be from the excellent 'Plays Bossa Nova At Home and Away'). It would be nice if these Hayes/Gonsalves sessions also saw light of day again on CD.

Not sure what titles they might have in mind for the Dutton Vocalions.

There was also a rumour (and a shaky one I think) that the 'Timewind - Mike Taylor Remembered' session might also see the light of day (from 1973). A track from this was included on one of the 'Impressed' compilations but the whole album, although funded by Dennis Preston, was put in the can and was never issued at the time (although Neil Ardley himself did put it out as a limited edition CD some years ago before his tragic death). As well as Neil Ardley this session also includes Ian Carr and Norma Winstone and (based on the track that has so far been reissued) merits release as a priority, I think.

Hope we see Vol 3 of the 'Giles Peterson' soon ! :tup

Edited by sidewinder