box sets with extended/expanded LIVE material??

Rooster_Ties

Edit: This thread is primarily about expanded LIVE material lurking in box sets.

Was thinking about the Bill Evans Verve box (14 discs?), and the (was it?) 2½ to nearly 3 hours of live material found therein (all from one date, in California - if I remember) -- much of which (I think) was otherwise never released before the box. (Used to own it, hated the packaging, and sold it -- and really wished I had that live material again, as a release all by itself.)

And there's the 10-disc Roland Kirk Mercury box (which I just got), and its 2 hours of live material, greatly expanded from it's only legit release on LP (which must have been about 45 minutes long, probably) -- though I understand this has come out in Europe on Lonehill (or some such murky label).

And the Joe Henderson Milestone box, which for years was the only way to get all of the Joe and Woody Shaw "Live at the Lighthouse" recordings (though that material has since recently come out as a full-length release unto itself).

What other extended/expanded LIVE dates are lurking in box sets?? --> Dates with added material that is (or was) otherwise unavailable until the box came out (and please mention any corresponding issue of the same material, if it's since come out as an expanded release, separate from the box).

Must be some that I'm not aware of, since I only discovered the Kirk when I finally got the box just a couple weeks ago (from a fellow board member - thanks!!!)

Edited by Rooster_Ties

...and Miles Davis' Cellar Door Sessions. (More than 4 CDs worth of extra live tracks.)

Lee Morgan Live at the Lighthouse (pretty much two discs worth of unreleased material).

If you want to expand the topic to include 2-CD sets, there's a lot of Monk with extended/expanded live material (Big Band and Quartet In Concert plus others on Columbia) and Sun Ra's Black Myth/Out in Space (9 unreleased tracks).

FWIW, what I'm really looking for are extended (expanded) LIVE recordings buried in the middle of larger box sets made up primarily of STUDIO material.

The three examples in my first post are all good examples.

The Plugged Nickel and Cellar Door sets are entirely made up of live sessions (as is the Lee Morgan Lighthouse mini-box). They're good to know about, certainly, but not really what this thread was aiming at. (but thanks anyway!!)

-- Rooster T.

There's all of the extra Bohemia material in the Mingus Debut box. A lot of extra Village Vanguard material is in the Mosaic Elvin Jones box.

On the other hand, I never thought of those recordings as being in some sort of process of "lurking" aound studio-dominated box sets before. :g

Edited by John L

The recent Miles/Trane box set on Prestige is a case in point.

Is there some live material in there? I must have slept when this was discussed (I have it most likely, whatever it is - which is why I will only get the 2CD "Round About Midnight"-Deluxe set if I see it really cheap).