larry coryell

Guest donald petersen

maybe no one mentioned it because it is meh. at least, imo. all the coryell/burton albums are a touch meh over time. jerry hahn was a more interesting guitarist with that group, imo in retrospect.

Well, everyone has their own opinion and I can see why some might think that. I quite like Hahn with John Handy, but with Burton (Country Roads? Throb?) not records I have ended up keeping so I can't have been impressed at the time. Maybe I should revisit them.

i haven't kept any of them either so i am not trying to say they are "great". well i kept LPs of both groups but got rid of CDs. the live set is definitely not one i return to, though. i guess "country roads" would be my favorite of these albums and probably mostly for roy haynes. i would recommend "the duster" with coryell over the live set and "lofty fake anagram" as well, though i find that album pretty dull. "throb" didn't do much for me.

one of the downbeat things jsangry posted has an "offering" review tacked on and it gets a really good review! interesting to see how it was recieved when it came out. out of the vanguards this one has probably held up the best for me over time.

"fairyland" would be my favorite if only it were on CD.

i haven't kept any of them either so i am not trying to say they are "great". well i kept LPs of both groups but got rid of CDs. the live set is definitely not one i return to, though. i guess "country roads" would be my favorite of these albums and probably mostly for roy haynes. i would recommend "the duster" with coryell over the live set and "lofty fake anagram" as well, though i find that album pretty dull. "throb" didn't do much for me.

one of the downbeat things jsangry posted has an "offering" review tacked on and it gets a really good review! interesting to see how it was recieved when it came out. out of the vanguards this one has probably held up the best for me over time.

"fairyland" would be my favorite if only it were on CD.

Guess what? Fairyland was released on CD last month.

... The thing that has always bugged me about Coryell is a lack of discipline in his playing. Maybe discipline's not the right word. "Focus", "center", whatever. The guy's obviously had great chops from the beginning, and spirit to spare, but it seems like he'll just bust loose in a prolonged ejaculation of energy without rhyme or reason at any damn time or place, and that's a quality of his that continues to bug me now that he's gone completely "straight ahead". It's like he's the posterboy for ADD jazz or something. ...

I couldn't say it better - that was my impression when I saw him live ca. 10 years ago with Airto Moreira and Flora Purim. Interesting ideas initially, but he didn't go far with them. I found his playing on "Memphis Underground" was full of second-hand blues licks.

I started a thread on his latest CD, an organ trio.

Edited by mikeweil