Upcoming Sony Mastersound Miles Davis reissues

EKE BBB

if you don't want to plunk down the money for the Montreux box, "Live Around the World" is an excellent album to have covering the 80's early-90's material.

I'll second that emotion.

Let it be noted, though, that the Montreux box features several worthy lineups that never got "officially" recorded otherwise.

Agreed. I quite enjoyed the set with Robben Ford on guitar, despite the mushy synths. But frankly I don't think I've ever played a couple of the later dics.

IMO on the Corner is a very good album, just not a great one. It starts out well but eventually wears on the listner because of the lack of creativity in the beat. The first 25-30 minutes are like a firecracker but I can't possibly imagine sitting through hours of this stuff, though!

Spun_Miles.jpgI'm not sure but I don't think there would be hours of stuff like the album to sit through. . . there would be other material in different veins in the box set, if I'm thinking clearly about what might be included. Edited by jazzbo

Helpful comments from all to make me understand that my objections are subjective rather than objective.
I think that some folks are more Motown and others are more Stax (I'm definitely the later!).

Also, a few years back, I heard something on our local jazz station

that sounded like On The Corner outtakes or something!

Instead of calling the station, I began a hunt for this item...

then, I thought that they had gotten hold of some promo

for an upcoming set that I didn't know about,

and so the searching went on. I've heard OTC sooooooooo many times,

that it was clearly some version of one of the cuts, but I could never come up with anything.

Still don't know, but maybe there's a Laswell reworking out there somewhere?

If this box is anything like I heard...well, hell, I'd buy anything on Miles anyway... :g

Helpful comments from all to make me understand that my objections are subjective rather than objective.
I think that some folks are more Motown and others are more Stax (I'm definitely the later!).

Also, a few years back, I heard something on our local jazz station

that sounded like On The Corner outtakes or something!

Instead of calling the station, I began a hunt for this item...

then, I thought that they had gotten hold of some promo

for an upcoming set that I didn't know about,

and so the searching went on. I've heard OTC sooooooooo many times,

that it was clearly some version of one of the cuts, but I could never come up with anything.

Still don't know, but maybe there's a Laswell reworking out there somewhere?

If this box is anything like I heard...well, hell, I'd buy anything on Miles anyway... :g

Laswell's Panthalassa has a version of "Black Satin," though it sounds pretty much the same. There's also a previously unreleased song from the sessions featuring John McLaughlin, but it doesn't sound like the On the Corner stuff.

"Black Satin" also gets the remix treatment on Panthalassa: The Remixes. "Black Satin" reappears again on the 1972 live album. Henry Kaiser's Yo Miles! recordings can sometimees sound like the real thing during the guitar solos.