Upcoming Sony Mastersound Miles Davis reissues

EKE BBB

From Peter Losin´s website:

Sony 2006 Reissue Series (Limited-edition CDs in paper sleeves)

Another round of Miles Davis reissues, plus one new compilation. Some of these CDs probably have additional material not included on the original records, but I don't know what the final configuration is.

Release date: September 20, 2006

SICP-1150 Cool and Collected: The Very Best of Miles Davis

Release date: September 27, 2006

SICP-1201 'Round About Midnight

SICP-1202 Miles Ahead

SICP-1203 Milestones

SICP-1204 1958 Miles

SICP-1205 Porgy and Bess

SICP-1206 Kind of Blue

SICP-1207 Sketches of Spain

SICP-1208 Someday My Prince Will Come

SICP-1209 Seven Steps to Heaven

SICP-1210 In Europe

Release date: October 18, 2006

SICP-1211 My Funny Valentine

SICP-1212 Four and More

SICP-1213 Miles in Tokyo

SICP-1214 Miles in Berlin

SICP-1215 E.S.P.

SICP-1216 Miles Smiles

SICP-1217 Sorcerer

SICP-1218 Nefertiti

SICP-1219 In a Silent Way

SICP-1220 Bitches Brew

Edited by EKE BBB

Well, Sony Japan and Columbia US Sony operate more often independently than together. . . . This reissue series is par for the course for the Japanese market, where they constantly release cds with a given target market in mind and then repeat as needed. . . .

I would NOT be surprised to see the Miles boxes appear eventually. Doillars. That's what Columbia wants!

They'll reissue all this for the upteenth time, but stop all work on the box sets of On The Cornor & Get Up With It. Go figure.

Has anyone really been that anxious for an 'On The Corner' box set? I own 'On The Corner' because it's Miles and I'm "supposed" to, but can't imagine sitting through 5-7 hours of it, and paying to do so. Yet, if/when the box set appears, I'll wait and get it from yourmusic.com because it's Miles and I'm "supposed" to. I'm glad he retired for awhile in '75 - gives me a natural jumping off point in his discography, so that I don't have to feel compelled to own the 80's stuff.

I actually bought On the Corner when it was released on lp, and I have always been challenged by it but enjoy it. It's a unique and amazing piece of work in my opinion. I'm looking forward to a box set, I've heard quite a bit of what should be in there and I want official releases, improved sound, etc.

I actually bought On the Corner when it was released on lp, and I have always been challenged by it but enjoy it. It's a unique and amazing piece of work in my opinion. I'm looking forward to a box set, I've heard quite a bit of what should be in there and I want official releases, improved sound, etc.

I also am not crazy about the eighties stuff and have most all the official releases but rarely spin them.

I've been listening to On The Corner for well nigh 33 or so years now, & it gets better and more interesting with each listen. It's an album that definitely benefits from the "cleanliness" of digital. And it's an album whose influence still continues to reverberate strongly today, albeit not so much in "jazz" circles. I can still get surprised by it.

The way I've finally come to look at it (and a lot of Miles' electric-era studio work) is that the music was Miles', but the album was Teo's. A detailed box set would probably be most illuminating as to sorting all that out, especially if they can include some of the really smoking live bootlegs from the same time.

I also think that the post-comeback stuff, especially the live dates, is better than one might think. Some/most of the studio albums suffer from early digital-isis, but I've heard some live dates that are really, really good in terms of groove pacing, sonic texture, and rhythmic building. Definitely not as "edgy" as the pre-retirement bands were, but there's a whole 'nother trip going on that's not without interest to me, and definitely not low on quality and creativity.

I've come to prefer the 80's electric Miles to alot of the '70s electric Miles. There's something about how stripped down and stark his sound became. Of course, that's also the only era when I was able to see him live. I thought his performance at the Arcadia Theater (recently burned down) in the late '80s was pretty fantastic.

I've been listening to On The Corner for well nigh 33 or so years now, & it gets better and more interesting with each listen. It's an album that definitely benefits from the "cleanliness" of digital. And it's an album whose influence still continues to reverberate strongly today, albeit not so much in "jazz" circles. I can still get surprised by it.

It took me a few years, but I agree with this assessment. There really is a LOT to listen to.

It's not all that far from "On The Corner" to "Remain In Light" by the Talking Heads.

I like On the Corner, though it's not my favorite electric Miles.

Guy

I've come to prefer the 80's electric Miles to alot of the '70s electric Miles. There's something about how stripped down and stark his sound became. Of course, that's also the only era when I was able to see him live. I thought his performance at the Arcadia Theater (recently burned down) in the late '80s was pretty fantastic.

Hell, just getting to listen to Ricky Wellman would be treat enough. But there was always a lot more to listen to.

I also think that the post-comeback stuff, especially the live dates, is better than one might think. Some/most of the studio albums suffer from early digital-isis, but I've heard some live dates that are really, really good in terms of groove pacing, sonic texture, and rhythmic building. Definitely not as "edgy" as the pre-retirement bands were, but there's a whole 'nother trip going on that's not without interest to me, and definitely not low on quality and creativity.

I wouldn't disagree with any of that, but I'm not crazy about listening to it. NOW. That may change in a while.

By coincidence, I ordered the "On the Corner" SACD from Hiroshi Tanno today.

This new japanese reissue series is nothing special, since the Miles CBS albums have been reissued in Japan multiple times already. That's how their CD market works. It's not an event as the reissue of a Miles album in the US, with bonus tracks, new liner notes, new remastering, etc.

A more notable reissue would be to release "Jack Johnson" on a multichannel SACD, since it has been remixed for multichannel when the Jack Johnson box was prepared, but the remix remains unreleased so far.

Edited by Claude

I've heard some live dates that are really, really good in terms of groove pacing, sonic texture, and rhythmic building.

I've heard that some of the 80's live stuff was far superior to the studio albums from that period, but haven't wanted to lay down $180 for the Montreux set to find out if I agree.

A board member was very kind to me and sold me the Montreux set at a great price.

I would say yes, that material is better than any of the studio efforts to my ears. I play one of these discs more often than any of the studio discs.

Hmmmm. . . I ought to load a few of these into my iPod.

It's not all that far from "On The Corner" to "Remain In Light" by the Talking Heads.

It's not that far from "On The Corner" to a lot of things, although again, not too many of them are "jazz".

Which is what my problem is with it, I think. It's why I can't really "hear" hip-hop either. Robert Christgau wrote (at least) once that the music you enjoy most will be that which reflects the rhythm of life as you hear it, and for me that isn't funk. I realize it is for hundreds of millions of people. Talking Heads really weren't a big item for me either, more of a novelty. It's not that I'm too old to have never enjoyed this stuff ( I was born in '54), but rather that it isn't how I'm wired. "Heart Of The Sunrise" and prime Motown provide my rhythms rather than Talking Heads and George Clinton. Helpful comments from all to make me understand that my objections are subjective rather than objective.

They'll reissue all this for the upteenth time, but stop all work on the box sets of On The Cornor & Get Up With It. Go figure.

Has anyone really been that anxious for an 'On The Corner' box set? I own 'On The Corner' because it's Miles and I'm "supposed" to, but can't imagine sitting through 5-7 hours of it, and paying to do so. Yet, if/when the box set appears, I'll wait and get it from yourmusic.com because it's Miles and I'm "supposed" to. I'm glad he retired for awhile in '75 - gives me a natural jumping off point in his discography, so that I don't have to feel compelled to own the 80's stuff.

You are aware that you are the only one "making" yourself by anything, right?

. . .comments from all to make me understand that my objections are subjective rather than objective.

Hey it is what it is. Makes perfect sense to me. I had a huge mix of influencing music and beats the first half of my life. . . Philly soul sound, thirties swing, Bach and Mozart and Beethoven and Gershwin, eatern and southern African musics, British Blues Bands, Chicago blues bands, San Francisco sounds, electric Miles Davis. . . . I can't get a lot of folk and country musics though I really try sometimes, etc.

Edited by jazzbo

I've heard some live dates that are really, really good in terms of groove pacing, sonic texture, and rhythmic building.

I've heard that some of the 80's live stuff was far superior to the studio albums from that period, but haven't wanted to lay down $180 for the Montreux set to find out if I agree.

Listened to We Want Miles recently and it was better than I remembered. Worth a shot at any rate and its a twofer and cheap here in europe. Lots of this stuff floating around in semi official releases here (and swapping amongst collectors) and can't imagine the Montreux set is any better than the others.

On the main topic I've gone off Columbia issues of Miles since I know they'll all come out again someday, with more or better. They issue a definitive set and then release it again soon after...

Bored of the box sets too, Jack Johnson had lots of great music and its fine that its out there but I don't need to hear it all...

As an example, I saw the September 1986 Paris concert by Miles (later broadcast on TV). They mostly played the songs from Tutu (which had just come out). The performances were a million times better than what was on the album.

We Want Miles is probably my favorite 80's Miles album, especially the second album. I wish he had done more tunes like 'My Man's Gone Now' - revisiting tracks form the old days with a modern flavor. Shirley Horn dug the arrangement so much she used it on her Miles Tribute album.

'Ursula' from Man With The Horn is fantastic as well.

Bertrand.

if you don't want to plunk down the money for the Montreux box, "Live Around the World" is an excellent album to have covering the 80's early-90's material.

I'll second that emotion.

Let it be noted, though, that the Montreux box features several worthy lineups that never got "officially" recorded otherwise.