Horo Records

Hot Ptah

I still have the HORO Vinyl of Sun Ra "Unity" and the quartet album. I like Unity more. But it´s strange that Sun Ra plays only organ on that.

There are TWO different Sun Ra Quartet double-albums on Horo.

"Other Voices, Other Blues" (which I have on original vinyl)...

...but there's also "New Steps" - which I have on recent a high-quality CD bootleg (with superb packaging, including both a new 2009 essay, and also the original liner-notes). If fact, it was only around here somewhere that I read that the "New Steps" CD wasn't legit - though it's far better in almost every way than many legit reissues I have.

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@Rooster_Ties: Yes, it´s the "New Steps" album. When I bought them, there where only those two albums "Unity" and "New Steps" in the record store. "Other Voices, Other Blues" might be interesting, but I don´t think I´ll find it.

Some years ago, while reminiscing Sun Ra´s performance that I saw live, I purchased a CD from Rome/Italy, done in March 1980 about the same time I saw them in Viena. But I don´t know the label of that record, though I don´t think it was a HORO re-issue.

It seems that Sun Ra had a big following in Italy, since he played and recorded quite often there.....

The sound on the Roach double LP wasn't that good, a bit harshand hard. I had heard the band live - well with a different bass and tenor - but was a bit disappointed by the LP and sold it in the end.

The two Sun Ra doubles are something I would buy - a friend of mine had one, I still have the cassette copy I made. Very atmospheric music.

Just got some quotes from them

Lester Bowie - African Children € 200,00

Enrico Rava - Jazz a Confronto 14 € 100,00

Karl Berger & Ingrid Berger- Changing the time € 80,00

Gil Evans Orchestra - Parabola € 150,00

I think I'll be sticking with the used market

I still have the HORO Vinyl of Sun Ra "Unity" and the quartet album. I like Unity more. But it´s strange that Sun Ra plays only organ on that.

There are TWO different Sun Ra Quartet double-albums on Horo.

"Other Voices, Other Blues" (which I have on original vinyl)...

...but there's also "New Steps" - which I have on recent a high-quality CD bootleg (with superb packaging, including both a new 2009 essay, and also the original liner-notes). If fact, it was only around here somewhere that I read that the "New Steps" CD wasn't legit - though it's far better in almost every way than many legit reissues I have.

I think i have the same CD version of New Steps... love that album, no regrets about not waiting indefinitely for a legit version to emerge (and i'll take my lumps for that if i need to). I know a lot of people rate Unity higher so i'd be keen to hear it.

• 4 months later...

Try Aldo Sinesio on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/aldo.sinesio

"Aldo" just friended me this week nearly 2.5 years after I sent him a friend request and nearly 1.5 years since he died! :huh:

The clasic "Unity" album by Sun Ra is available at eBay:

http://www.ebay.com/...=item3f17a9feac

Got it myself a couple of months ago.

What is that? Is it a re-issue or new old stock?

That is what the original album cover looked like upon its initial release.

It certainly seems like new old stock. A great album really worth it's price. smile.gif

I bought two of those Sun Ra's (Unity & Other Voices) that were old dead stock - not bootlegs or reissues AFAIK. They were not warped or damaged in anyway. They sound fine to my ears.

• 2 weeks later...

I bought two of those Sun Ra's (Unity & Other Voices) that were old dead stock - not bootlegs or reissues AFAIK. They were not warped or damaged in anyway. They sound fine to my ears.

Some Horo's (including the Sun Ra's) had two pressings. Dead stock copies of the second pressing do turn up quite regularly here in Europe. Sun Ra originals have a yellow label; later Horo pressings have orange labels.

Both sound fine, like in fact many Horo's do.

Some Horo's (including the Sun Ra's) had two pressings. Dead stock copies of the second pressing do turn up quite regularly here in Europe. Sun Ra originals have a yellow label; later Horo pressings have orange labels.

Both sound fine, like in fact many Horo's do.

I've got quite a few Horo, Sun ra New Steps, Steve Grossman, Kenny Clarke etc, all sound good and I've got a fairly high end turntable

I noticed that Sun Ra did perform quite often in Italy. Did he love the country, the people ? And it seems that he had a lot of fans down there, it seems they dug him.

I was trying to find a concert similar to what I heard in spring 1980 and got some strange CD from a Rome concert from the same time march 1980. But no liner notes.....

Bad sound quality, but great music, with the exception of the first tune, which is a quite stupid thing with flutes only, the worst starter I ever heard, but then things really improve.....

• 4 years later...

Just noticed this on Dusty Groove (https://www.dustygroove.com/item/936090):

A real standout in the 70s catalog of reedman Steve Lacy – and that's saying a lot, given that he gave us so many fantastic records in the decade! The album's proof that the Horo Records label had a great knack for capturing key players in some different, but fantastic formations – and here, Lacy is blowing soprano sax alongside ex-MEV members Alvin Curran and Frederic Rzewski – in a unique quality that's very different than many of Lacy's other recordings of the 70s. Curran's got his usual mad edge – and plays synthesizer, percussion, and flugelhorn – while Rzewski contributes some nicely restrained dark lines on acoustic piano. Titles include "Skirts", "Threads", "Rabbit", and "Broils".

lacy_steve~_threads~~_101b.jpg

Could this be a legitimate re-release, and could there be more Horo coming?

STILL need and wish I had Sun Ra’s Other Voices Other Blues on CD, even if it was only a grey-market silver-disc (non-cdr) as good as the non-legit issue of New Steps that came out on CD with nice packaging and good liners (if you can imagine) some 10(!) years ago.

I do have a legit copy of OVOB on LP, that I got back in college around 1990, and both of those quartet albums (both double-LP’s) are phenomenal.

23 minutes ago, Rooster_Ties said:

STILL need and wish I had Sun Ra’s Other Voices Other Blues on CD, even if it was only a grey-market silver-disc (non-cdr) as good as the non-legit issue of New Steps that came out on CD with nice packaging and good liners (if you can imagine) some 10(!) years ago.

I do have a legit copy of OVOB on LP, that I got back in college around 1990, and both of those quartet albums (both double-LP’s) are phenomenal.

Btw with surprisingly good sound too .... 

On 24.11.2019 at 8:45 PM, Rooster_Ties said:

New Steps and Unity were the most evident two Albums when I first saw Sun Ra live in spring 1980. Then I bought only "Unity" which seemed to be more similar to the mixture of free-jazz., space chants and old Fletcher Henderson arrangements, that made the Arkestra so attractive. 

I bought "New Steps" (the quartet album) About 10 years ago and it it´s possible it was that non-legit issue. I wonder why they didn´t reissue also the twin album "Unity" on CD. 

About "Other Voices...…" I still haven´t heard. It is possible it was not in the stores during my time...… it seems there was that Twin thing "Unity" "New Steps", similar album covers with some dark brown desert sand or something….

On 11/24/2019 at 0:37 PM, mjzee said:

Just noticed this on Dusty Groove (https://www.dustygroove.com/item/936090):

A real standout in the 70s catalog of reedman Steve Lacy – and that's saying a lot, given that he gave us so many fantastic records in the decade! The album's proof that the Horo Records label had a great knack for capturing key players in some different, but fantastic formations – and here, Lacy is blowing soprano sax alongside ex-MEV members Alvin Curran and Frederic Rzewski – in a unique quality that's very different than many of Lacy's other recordings of the 70s. Curran's got his usual mad edge – and plays synthesizer, percussion, and flugelhorn – while Rzewski contributes some nicely restrained dark lines on acoustic piano. Titles include "Skirts", "Threads", "Rabbit", and "Broils".

lacy_steve~_threads~~_101b.jpg

Could this be a legitimate re-release, and could there be more Horo coming?

Alternative Fox seem to be issuing live performances and random oddities from PD or grey market sources, so I highly doubt this is legit.

On 11/24/2019 at 1:58 PM, mjazzg said:

This is a coincidence as I've been thinking about the Garrett List Horo 'American Images' this weekend.  Happened across it's existence whilst looking into his 'Your Own Self'.  It looks very intriguing, anyone know it?

Yeah, it’s a good one. However it’s much more akin to Fire & Ice than Your Own Self, which is pretty much singular in his catalog. 

• 4 years later...