Modern Jazz Trumpeters

Tom 1960

...and if you're looking for a more introspective, intuitive

sound to your trumpet, then there's Markus Stockhausen.

A great musician! Saw him twice, first in a "classical" concert (playing C-trumpet), then later with Dhafer Yousef - fantastic concert (with Dieter Ilg on bass and the great Jojo Mayer on drums).

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Someone to keep a watch out for is youngish (age 33) Chicago cornetist Josh Berman. [...] Josh, who is now very much his own man, originally was an unlikely blend of Don Cherry, Tony Fruscella, and Ruby Braff, if you can believe that!

this description made me so curious that I searched and found this site

http://lucky7s.org/music.php

which has a number of mp3s featuring Berman for legal and free download (still downloading the first one)

Larry, I don't know Robertson as a leader, just from several sidemen albums, live recordings, and one concert (Barry Guy's New Orchestra) - a rather impressive technician, but as far as I am aware of his playing, sort of a role-cast player, too (high, strong, loud...)

Some others:

Jean-Luc Cappozzo (with Louis Sclavis' great quintet - 2002 ECM album "L'affrontement des pretendants")

Stéphane Belmondo (he and his sax-playing brother Lionel did a terrific album with Yusef Lateef, "Influence", released on their own label this year - check it out!)

Massimo Greco (with Gianluigi Trovesi Ottetto)

Thanks for all the great input guys. The reason I mentioned Hargrove in my initial post is that I'm already familar with some of his recordings and consider myself a fan. I don't own the recent recording(Nothing Else), but will keep KH1958's suggestion in mind since I've already heard some good things about this one. I've run across a couple of Dave Douglas albums recently in a local B&N. That might be worth further exploration. Some of the other names mentioned I'm not familar with. I'll keep a list of the many fine suggestions and report back at some point in the future. Cash is alittle tight at the moment but it doesn't cost anything to complile a list for future purchases. Thanks again fellas. :tup

Larry, I don't know Robertson as a leader, just from several sidemen albums, live recordings, and one concert (Barry Guy's New Orchestra) - a rather impressive technician, but as far as I am aware of his playing, sort of a role-cast player, too (high, strong, loud...)

I have three Robertson CDs that I like: "The Legend of the Missing Link" (Splasch), with good Italian players (septet and quintet); "Elaboration" (Clean Feed), with Tim Berne et al.; and "Shades of Bud Powell" (JMT), from 1988, with a brass ensemble and Joey Baron. All of these, though, good as they are, take up a lot of space with writing and/or collective improvising and don't really expose Robertson as a player that much as I recall. But when I heard him live in NYC in 2002 -- with a group led by Mark Helias that included Mark Shim (whatever happened to him? -- a really promising player), Craig Taborn, and Eric McPherson -- Robertson got a lot of solo space and was on fire. The thing he does in particular that knocks me out is use a plunger at up tempos to alter the timbre of individual notes in already multi-noted passages, which creates the impression that one is hearing maybe three times more notes per bar than would be possible -- this being done not with any air of trickery but because Robertson can actually think at that speed. It was wild, ecstatic stuff, a bit like early Dizzy.

Herb Robertson can be heard with Gerry Hemingway's quartet along with Ellery Eskelin and Mark Helias. I have heard a couple of live radio broadcasts and there is also a recording on Clean Feads that has been on my want list for a while.

Another trumpeter to consider that has not been mentioned is Tim Hagans. His recent recording, Beautiful Lily has some interesting moments and his earlier recording on Blue Note, Audible Architecture is very good.

Sean Jones has some excellent potential IMHO.

g30011wf0fd.jpg

Another trumpeter to consider that has not been mentioned is Tim Hagans. His recent recording, Beautiful Lily has some interesting moments and his earlier recording on Blue Note, Audible Architecture is very good.

Oh yeah, how can we not mention Hagans? Good call.

Jeez - I have a lot of catching up to do - have not heard half these guys.

Personally, I'm a pretty big Erik Truffaz fan. Love Blanchard too. His first Blue Note album was great, IMO. Did not pick up the second as I was waitng for yourmusic - but they never picked it up.

Saw Ingrid Jensen last year at the Montreal Jazz Festival and she was very good.

Here are a quick few that come to mind (they're all so pensive......) :)

g94784oyoc1.jpgf93198d4337.jpg

d38138m2w4p.jpgg07163nfq14.jpg

How about arranging them so they're looking at each other, trying to mess with each other's heads?

f93198d4337.jpgg07163nfq14.jpg

d38138m2w4p.jpgg94784oyoc1.jpg

"You think you're bad?"

"Badder than your sad ass."

"I'm badder than all of you suckers!"

"I'm so bad I don't even have to say how bad I am."

:rofl:

MG

I have three Robertson CDs that I like: "The Legend of the Missing Link" (Splasch), with good Italian players (septet and quintet); "Elaboration" (Clean Feed), with Tim Berne et al.; and "Shades of Bud Powell" (JMT), from 1988, with a brass ensemble and Joey Baron. All of these, though, good as they are, take up a lot of space with writing and/or collective improvising and don't really expose Robertson as a player that much as I recall. But when I heard him live in NYC in 2002 -- with a group led by Mark Helias that included Mark Shim (whatever happened to him? -- a really promising player), Craig Taborn, and Eric McPherson -- Robertson got a lot of solo space and was on fire. The thing he does in particular that knocks me out is use a plunger at up tempos to alter the timbre of individual notes in already multi-noted passages, which creates the impression that one is hearing maybe three times more notes per bar than would be possible -- this being done not with any air of trickery but because Robertson can actually think at that speed. It was wild, ecstatic stuff, a bit like early Dizzy.

Sounds like I ought to check him out a bit better, thanks!