Has anyone done business with the CdJapan web-store?

Dmitry

I have not, personally, but I know someone who has purchased from them and the reports were that it was a very positive experience.

That is very reassuring. This cd is listed at $40 everywhere on the web, but on this site it was $23 or so, plus the $5 off coupon - it was a no-brainer. Air-mail shipping was about $5. Now let's see if they come through.

I've placed several orders with them and always had great service.

However, lately I've found that Hiroshi usually can do better, particularly when I add the shipping fees. Horshi's S&H can be quite a bit less when buying several CDs.

BTW, once you place an order with them, they should start sending you E-mail discount coupons.

Kevin

I've placed several orders with them and always had great service.

However, lately I've found that Hiroshi usually can do better, particularly when I add the shipping fees. Horshi's S&H can be quite a bit less when buying several CDs.

BTW, once you place an order with them, they should start sending you E-mail discount coupons.

Kevin

Like Kevin I have used them without any problems and also like Kevin I now use Hiroshi. He's usually cheaper overall and his servive is second to none. My latest order was posted on a Friday and arrived on my doorstep the following Tuesday - beat that!

As much as I like Hiroshi and his service etc. I don't think we can give him all the credit for the fast shipments. One time you're lucky other time it get's hold up by customs or something else so it depends on the postal services (usually in you own country) I do believe the Japanese postal service is very good and reliable so there should be no hickups over there but over here in the Netherlands for instance.........I won't start.

As much as I like Hiroshi and his service etc. I don't think we can give him all the credit for the fast shipments. One time you're lucky other time it get's hold up by customs or something else so it depends on the postal services (usually in you own country) I do believe the Japanese postal service is very good and reliable so there should be no hickups over there but over here in the Netherlands for instance.........I won't start.

I haven't had any problems with the Dutch Postal Service lately. I lost a few shipments, but it turned out they disappeared after they had been handed over to the foreign postal service (Italy...)

As for incoming shipments I have no complaints about the Dutch Postal Service, but the private carriers that also handle foreign shipments are another matter... They're generally terrible, with bad service and bad manners, they're extremely expensive when it comes to collecting import duty and tax, their delivery times are sometimes extremely long, and they're always making problems when no one's home during the daytime.

Edited by J.A.W.

• 8 years later...

Oldie but goodie via the site search. I want to order a bunch of the Blue Notes being issued in Japan this month and next. Is CDJapan my best (most economical) source for these? Any sense of what their shipping charges are like on an order of 15-20 CD's sent to USA?

The last shipment I received had 13 items and I went with FedEx International (three days from Japan to Ohio) and it cost 3500 Yen. As I had about ten dollars in "points" to apply it was quite reasonable for me. The slower options are cheaper, probably about 2700 for Air Mail and 2000 or so for "slow boat from China" shipping.

I love cdjapan and have had zero problems using them over the years.

Edited by jazzbo

You get 300 points when opening an account, a couple hundred quarterly points, points for your birthday, and of course the points you accumulate purchasing CDs. 3% of item value, but for older CDs as much as 10%. Every point equals one Yen discount. The quarterly and birthday points have a shorter expiration date.

It's a very, very good company to do business with.

Using the EDS shipping option has been for me the best shipping bang for buck value.

On some things, though, I have found better prices at Dusty Groove. Only some, and only sometimes, but check first.

A year ago I ordered the Rolling Stones SHM-CD which was supposed to be the original flat transfer, not the 2011 remaster. It arrived. I listened to it, thought it sounded fine, and put it away. Two months later I was looking at it and realized it was not the flat transfer 2013 version> i contacted their customer service to see if they would send me the correct version (we obsessive-compulsive music collectors). The lady asked me to send pictures to verify which version I had. She investigated and then told me that the one I wanted was not available. She then offered me a 5000 (~$%) refund in points. I let it go. A week later her supervisor contacted me to tell me that the lady had brought this to his attention. He was embarrassed by their "measely" (his word) offer, and now wanted to offer me a full 1700 point credt, and for me to keep the CD. This was all done on their initiative. Hard to top that.

Are they all listed as in-stock? I placed an order a couple of months back and the fill rate wasn't good and I ended up feeling a little screwed because I went with the Fed Ex priority option based on the original cost/# of CDs. Really changed the economics when you take three CDs out of the pile.

Still a very good company that I am sure I'll used again.

I love CD Japan! Every order is well packaged, and I've never had one damaged jewel case. I can't say that about anybody else except for Wayside Music.

All those folks getting ripped off at Amazon will be sore if they ever visit CD Japan and find so many classic jazz titles for under 9 dollars.

• 7 years later...

Possibly dumb question, this seems like the best place to post it.

I've never ordered from CDJapan before.

I see a number of interesting items shown as "Backorder: usually ships in 2-4 weeks"

Do those backorders have a significant chance of getting filled? I wouldn't order backorder items from most domestic US sites because I figure they'd go unfilled.

Edited by T.D.

26 minutes ago, T.D. said:

Possibly dumb question, this seems like the best place to post it.

I've never ordered from CDJapan before.

I see a number of interesting items shown as "Backorder: usually ships in 2-4 weeks"

Do those backorders have a significant chance of getting filled? I wouldn't order backorder items from most domestic US sites because I figure they'd go unfilled.

My experience with them is that most backorders don't get filled, but some do.  I wouldn't base an order with them on backordered items, but would certainly add them to an order I was otherwise going to make anyways.  Everything else about them is first rate, and their prices (even with shipping, as long as you make a sizeable order) for Japanese-issued jazz CD's are phenomenal compared to US sources.