Reptet Announces East Coast Tour

Johnny E

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

See you all soon.

btw, we start at 11PM at the Tritone.

You definitely have time to make to the Peter Brotzmann show....

Sunday, October 8 | 8pm

Brötzmann/Bennink Duo

with

Peter Brötzmann, reeds

Han Bennink, drums

Rose Recital Hall [Room 419]

Fisher-Bennett Hall

University of Pennsylvania

34th and Walnut streets

$15 General Admission

:g

I'm planning to catch you at the Tritone on October 9th. And who knows? I may have 3 itinerant Michigan musicians with me. :rolleyes:

I don't see why not!

I dunno, man. Starts at 11PM??? :blink: Not sure what these 3 kids' parents'll think of me having 'em out that much past their bedtime--and on a school night, too. :w

Good band! Love the way they've arranged the horns to comp, the various instrumental combinations to keep the textures varied, the cross genre rhythms, and the energy. Original compositions, original approach. Here's to collective improvisation!

Best of luck with the tour, opening for the Claudia Quintet, the Raymond Scott project for Earshot and, especially, those CD SALES!!!

Great to hear the band and meet everyone. Especially that Republican drummer. (emoticons don't work with this browser, insert goofy one here ;)

LV

No Chicago members went to the gig last night? Shame.

I'm in Chicago at my hotel, getting ready to head out for some grub and then on to the Hungry Brain to check them out.....! May post some photos in the next day or so.

m~

This is exciting. Hope all continues to go well for Johnny and the gang.

And can't wait to see some great photos. (no pressure)

g

Hmm... We have two weekly free papers in Philly. Both of them have an ad for Tritone but Reptet is not mentioned in either ad. They mention some kind of "vinyl 45" party for Sunday. I hope there wasn't a mix up.

Edit: Thursday's Organissimo gig is in both ads.

Edited by Chalupa

Hmm... We have two weekly free papers in Philly. Both of them have an ad for Tritone but Reptet is not mentioned in either ad. They mention some kind of "vinyl 45" party for Sunday. I hope there wasn't a mix up.

In Brooklyn right now. The Philly gig is indeed on, but let me tell ya', the booking dude is a real winner. He tried to cancel our show but I called and demanded he keep his commitment. Now we go on after that thing listed (which I thought was a poetry fest or something). We hit at 11PM. And now I know that he failed to list us in his strip ad. I'm a bit miffed by the whole situation. I hope all my Philly friends can still make it. We are sounding tighter than ever and spledid time is guaranteed for all...anyway this gives us time to catch Brotmann/Bennink. :)

Edited by Johnny E

I hope all my Philly friends can still make it.

If the boys get back to Philly in time from Virginia Beach (they had a gig there last night), we plan to hit the Brotzmann show first, and then head on to Tritone. So, if Chalupa comes (I can't remember if he said he could), there'll be at least 5 of us there (if you include organissimo as temporarily among your Philly friends :rolleyes: ).

In Brooklyn right now. The Philly gig is indeed on, but let me tell ya', the booking dude is a real winner. He tried to cancel our show but I called and demanded he keep his commitment. Now we go on after that thing listed (which I thought was a poetry fest or something). We hit at 11PM. And now I know that he failed to list us in his strip ad. I'm a bit miffed by the whole situation. I hope all my Philly friends can still make it. We are sounding tighter than ever and spledid time is guaranteed for all...anyway this gives us time to catch Brotmann/Bennink. :)

Man that sucks. I've heard bad things about that guy in the past. The guy who runs Ars Nova Workshop(he's putting on the Brotzmann show tonight) started out presenting shows at Tritone. I don't know the details but there was a falling out and now Ars Nova is booking its shows elsewhere. Jamaaladeen Tacuma used to have a monthly gig there for about two years. And then he announced abruptly in an email that he was ending his monthly show at Tritone. Pretty rare for a musician to end an "on going" gig voluntarily. Ron, what was your experience w/ the guy?

Ron, what was your experience w/ the guy?

My experience with him was fairly decent. In fact, that was the first of the 3 October Philly gigs I was able to nail down. The only difficulty I encountered in dealing with him is that he's only available to discuss bookings on Monday evenings.

By the way, I see from my notes that he offered me October 8th (along with the 12th and a couple of other October dates) when I spoke with him in July, and he told me at the time that there would also be a DJ on that date. We did agree that there would be also be a local band on the bill for the 12th (since organissimo had not yet performed in Philly and a local band could help be a draw). The band he scheduled as the "warm-up" for organissimo on the 12th is Dr. Ketchup, a jazz-funk group that should fit well with organissimo. You can hear some samples and read about them here.

(Sorry, John--didn't mean to hijack your thread. :blush: )