Fats Waller - The Complete Recorded Works

EKE BBB

Brownie, I agree that the French RCA releases of Fats' material were a mess insofar as they did the two Memorial box sets first and then put the other or alternate tracks up to 1939 on 18 or so LP's in their Black & White series. So most sessions were split over several albums.

But - generally speaking - do you find all this strictly chronological reissuing of music fom the 78rpm era (such as on the Classics series) always all that fascinating to listen to it - fillers, duds, all too commercial or downright forgettable ditties and all included?

Maybe a nice approach if you do your collecting strictly from an accountant's point of view, but at times there is more to it (much as I deplore the lack of coherence of some former reissues programs of the vinyl era which you could only make up for more recently with the Classics series and similar CD reissue programs).

Maybe it's also a matter of principle of which medium one prefers (I do buy CD's to close certain gaps in my collection but I also admit I quickly got rid of some CD's again when I got hold of exactly the same material on vinyl after all ;-) ).

Edited by Big Beat Steve

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But - generally speaking - do you find all this strictly chronological reissuing of music fom the 78rpm era (such as on the Classics series) always all that fascinating to listen to it - fillers, duds, all too commercial or downright forgettable ditties and all included?

I am one of those that prefer to have the material available on a chronological (Classics :D ) basis.

If I need to go back or advance to specific dates, I'ld rather prefer do it my way rather than having it done by someone else! But I do this not very often. I like to go from one date to the next. More interesting to listen to the progression!

Did a little a/b on the solo material vs. the 2 cd Bluebird set....the JSP is VERY clean, with maybe just a teeeny bit too much digital NR scrubbing. Maybe it's that that gives a slightly synthetic feel to the top end. The Bluebird is strange to compare...I don't prefer it in the end. The plus to the Bluebird is that the top end is not molested too badly, but it's got a slightly out of phase swishing problem that negates some of the more natural quality tonally. And no question, it is dirtier sounding, and not in a pleasing way, even for one that prefers a more natural sound.

I'm just a bit surprised that Kendall seems to be inching away from J.R.T. Davies ideal of judicious NR but preserving the full quality of the original recording tonally.

Really just quibbling here (buy the darned thing already!), but I expected it to blow the Bluebird away (and away from my collection...but I'm keeping it now), and it only sideswiped it.

P.S. Listening to more of the set tonight. I must say the piano solos are the ONLY tracks to bother me as described above...the other sides sound really superb. The "Fats Waller and his Buddies" sides w/Gene Krupa even manage to reproduce his 4 heavy beats per measure with presence, but without muddying up the rest of the ensemble, which is easily possible!

Edited by tatifan

• 2 months later...

Waller is a big old blind spot for me, so it was pleasure and anticipation that I got this in the mail yesterday - it seems like a fine and affordable way to get familiar.

I have a couple of questions.

1. I am gobsmacked by the sound quality on the '20s recordings on Disc 1. Is this because high-quality Waller 78s are relatively commonplace? Or is it the remastering? Or both?

2. How many 4-disc sets will JSP have to release to get the job done?

Edited by kenny weir

Did a little a/b on the solo material vs. the 2 cd Bluebird set....the JSP is VERY clean, with maybe just a teeeny bit too much digital NR scrubbing. Maybe it's that that gives a slightly synthetic feel to the top end. The Bluebird is strange to compare...I don't prefer it in the end. The plus to the Bluebird is that the top end is not molested too badly, but it's got a slightly out of phase swishing problem that negates some of the more natural quality tonally. And no question, it is dirtier sounding, and not in a pleasing way, even for one that prefers a more natural sound.

I'm just a bit surprised that Kendall seems to be inching away from J.R.T. Davies ideal of judicious NR but preserving the full quality of the original recording tonally.

Really just quibbling here (buy the darned thing already!), but I expected it to blow the Bluebird away (and away from my collection...but I'm keeping it now), and it only sideswiped it.

P.S. Listening to more of the set tonight. I must say the piano solos are the ONLY tracks to bother me as described above...the other sides sound really superb. The "Fats Waller and his Buddies" sides w/Gene Krupa even manage to reproduce his 4 heavy beats per measure with presence, but without muddying up the rest of the ensemble, which is easily possible!

I haven't heard Kendall's mastering of the JSP Waller set, but your remark about Kendall moving away from John R.T. Davies' way of using noise reduction seems to be correct; I've read more rather negative comments lately on his apparently excessive use of CEDAR noise reduction :(

Edited by J.A.W.

Waller is a big old blind spot for me, so it was pleasure and anticipation that I got this in the mail yesterday - it seems like a fine and affordable way to get familiar.

I have a couple of questions.

1. I am gobsmacked by the sound quality on the '20s recordings on Disc 1. Is this because high-quality Waller 78s are relatively commonplace? Or is it the remastering? Or both?

2. How many 4-disc sets will JSP have to release to get the job done?

Those 20s tracks have sounded good wherever I've heard them (the ones I've got to spin over and over are King Jazz cds with Davies transfers. They're just that good as far as source goes.

I think that JSP could get this done with from four to six box sets depending on the parameters they use to describe "complete". . . .

Those 20s tracks have sounded good wherever I've heard them (the ones I've got to spin over and over are King Jazz cds with Davies transfers. They're just that good as far as source goes.

I think that JSP could get this done with from four to six box sets depending on the parameters they use to describe "complete". . . .

Thanks Lon! I'm enjoying the set a bunch.

As it happens ... it seems to happen when your collection reaches a certain point ... I actually have quite a few of the tracks on the Condon JSP set, Bix/Tram Mosaic and the Ted Lewis tracks on an old Muggsy CD.

• 3 months later...

I wonder how many tracks on Vol1 are actually prime Fats Waller and how many are Fats just comping behind other groups/singers. I was a little dissapointed with Vol2 including lots of tracks where Fats is barely audible. I'll probably skip this one and wait for Vol 3.

Worlds Records I believe can get it earlier. . . they sent it out as part of their weekly "new this week" list.

Thanks for the hint on worldsrecords having Volume 1 earlier, Lon.

Just ordered it from them. Lots of duplication with my collection (Classics et al), but I just can't get enough Fats!!!

• 3 weeks later...