Any chance there's still any unreleased Reid Miles covers???

Rooster_Ties

From the liner notes to the Andrew Hill Mosaic big box (about the last date, with Sam Rivers)...

March 7th, 1966

This is another session that did not see the light of day until it was issued in the Blue Note Reissue Series of tan double albums in 1975. Since we had only one unissued Sam Rivers LP in the Blue Note vaults, we put this Hill session featuring Sam with it rather than reissue other Rivers dates. Alfred like it a great deal at the time and was thinking about calling it CHANGE. It was even given the catalog number 84233 AND PREPARED FOR RELEASE

Was there a cover prepared as well??

We all know there are a handful of dates that had real, legit Reid Miles covers -- dates which weren't released at the time. I'm thinking of the following (and please add any others I've missed).

d59616x5669.jpgrivers_dimensions.jpgg81425ligot.jpg

(Not 100% sure the Leo Parker cover is a Ried Miles, but I think it is. And in case any of those hot-linked pics fail, I've got the covers for "Blue John", "Dimensions and Extensions", and "Rollin' with Leo" displayed.)

Anyway, could there be a Ried Miles cover for the Andrew Hill date with Sam Rivers?????

What other dates (that haven't ever been issued as individual CD's yet), could possibly have Ried Miles covers in the vaults -- if they were "prepared for release" -- back in the day???

(And what other "issued long after the fact" Ried Miles covers have we gotten in the last 35 years??)

Edited by Rooster_Ties

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ah yes, HERE TO STAY -- forgot about that one.

And I didn't realize that Tina Brooks cover fit this catagory -- thanks!!

Edit: Might be handy to have this link handy, as this thread develops...

That Japanese site with all the Blue Note covers.

Edited by Rooster_Ties

Wait a sec - are we saying that for each of these albums - shelved for one reason or another - these are original Reid Miles covers that were produced at the time?

I thought Happy Frame of Mind was supposed to be a Booker Ervin release ... and then it got split off from one of the brown LP cover twofers of the 70s. This was the original Reid cover, with Parlan as leader?

I'm really confused on some of these ...

Wait a sec - are we saying that for each of these albums - shelved for one reason or another - these are original Reid Miles covers that were produced at the time??

Yup. That's my understanding. (I'll let others here smarter than me about these things comment on your other questions.)

But as far as I know, these (above) are all honest to goodness REAL Reid Miles covers that never saw the light of day until years later.

Cool. :cool:

Edited by Rooster_Ties

Wait a sec - are we saying that for each of these albums - shelved for one reason or another - these are original Reid Miles covers that were produced at the time?

I thought Happy Frame of Mind was supposed to be a Booker Ervin release ... and then it got split off from one of the brown LP cover twofers of the 70s. This was the original Reid cover, with Parlan as leader?

I'm really confused on some of these ...

Yes to your first question. Michael found the printing films (negatives) for those covers.

The Parlan was coupled with an unissued Ervin in the '70s but it was indeed a Parlan date.

It was included in Booker's Back From The Gig 2-fer, but listed as a Parlan session therein. They included it because Booker was featured, and because they only had one unreleased Ervin session.

The object of that series quickly turned from straight reissues to getting as much unreleased stuff out as quickly as they could, by any means necessary. Gotta love'em for that!

And - I can see Lush Life being Miles' basic layout, but the coloring, tinting, etc? I'm skeptical.

I hear ya.

Yeah, but they still had shots of those puuurrrttttyyy models to use. :wub:

:g

Actually, I was under the impression that Lush Life had been issued originally at the time. Was that actually a "rainbow" LP the first time it came out?

And - I can see Lush Life being Miles' basic layout, but the coloring, tinting, etc? I'm skeptical.

I hear ya.

Actually, I was under the impression that Lush Life had been issued originally at the time. Was that actually a "rainbow" LP the first time it came out?

First issue was a King pressing in Japan. It had a terrible generic cover.

Actually a couple of weeks ago a test pressing of "A Happy Frame Of Mind" - no cover, white labels with 'Plastylite' stamp, the name, title and original number (BST-84134) written on it - was sold on eBay. Unfortunately I was on holiday at the time so I was not able to bid on it.

Peter

If I remember correctly, Back To The Tracks went as far as getting test pressings. I wonder if any of those survived. Bet they would fetch a fortune on ebay!

Bertrand.

It even got as far as the cover art for 'Back To The Tracks' appearing on W61st inner sleeves, I believe. I'll check later but I'm sure I've seen this one.

I hear ya.

I quite like the King cover of that one. :)

Wasn't the first issue actually the 'Applause' budget issue? :crazy:

If I remember correctly, Back To The Tracks went as far as getting test pressings. I wonder if any of those survived. Bet they would fetch a fortune on ebay!

Bertrand.

It even got as far as the cover art for 'Back To The Tracks' appearing on W61st inner sleeves, I believe. I'll check later but I'm sure I've seen this one.

Pretty sure the cover art for "Blue John" also appeared on an inner sleeve or two - back in the day. (I remember the linernotes mentioning this - although I'm away from my copy at the moment, otherwise I'd check personally.)

Edited by Rooster_Ties

Bertrand.

Pretty sure the cover art for "Blue John" also appeared on an inner sleeve or two - back in the day. (I remember the linernotes mentioning this - although I'm away from my copy at the moment, otherwise I'd check personally.)

Yes, I'm pretty damn sure I've seen that one too on some of those pre-'66 vintage inner sleeves.

Bertrand.

If I remember well the covers for Rollin' with Leo and Coming Your Way were also printed on one of these inner sleeves. I will check it when I'm home.

I hear ya.

I quite like the King cover of that one. :)

Wasn't the first issue actually the 'Applause' budget issue? :crazy:

The Japanese issue was titled "Sweet Slumber", and had a nice cover. I've already erased the cover of the Applause issue from my memory...

12LPjap%20105.jpg

That Japanese 'Sweet Slumber' cover was uncredited. Don't think Reid Miles had anything to do with the design!

I wasn't suggesting that he did. I was basically responding to Chuck's comment (and I'll add that there could very well be another Japanese cover that I'm unaware of...).

That Japanese 'Sweet Slumber' cover was uncredited. Don't think Reid Miles had anything to do with the design!

I wasn't suggesting that he did. I was basically responding to Chuck's comment (and I'll add that there could very well be another Japanese cover that I'm unaware of...).

That's the one I think sucks. :)