Any chance there's still any unreleased Reid Miles covers???

Rooster_Ties

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I could SWEAR I saw Blue John offered at auction from Paris Jazz Corner. Wonder if it was a test pressing also?

I met a Japanese dude in Paris who had a test pressing of the Brooks... :blink:

Wasn't the 'Blue John' issued on a DMM ( :bad:) vinyl back in the early 1990s? I have this on the CD but I'm sure I've also seen the vinyl.

I could SWEAR I saw Blue John offered at auction from Paris Jazz Corner. Wonder if it was a test pressing also?

I met a Japanese dude in Paris who had a test pressing of the Brooks... :blink:

Wasn't the 'Blue John' issued on a DMM ( :bad:) vinyl back in the early 1990s? I have this on the CD but I'm sure I've also seen the vinyl.

Correct.

That's another one that I doubt used what would have been Miles' colorings.

Again, I hear ya -- and more than that, I've always thought the cover of "Blue John" looked like it was blown up from a rather small (B&W?) source picture. Look at the detail (or lack thereof) in the image of Patton.

nbn2%20140.jpg

Also, what was the last (latest in time, a.k.a. "most recent") cover that Reid Miles did for BN?? (When did Miles stop doing covers for BN?)

Knowing that should give some impression of the chances that Miles could have still been producing covers for BN around the time that Hill/Rivers sessions would have been being "prepared for release".

(That date was recorded on 7-MAR-66, if that gives any indication of when any cover for it might have been being worked on.)

Edited by Rooster_Ties

Also, what was the last (latest in time, a.k.a. "most recent") cover that Reid Miles did for BN?? (When did Miles stop doing covers for BN?)

Knowing that should give some impression of the chances that Miles could have still been producing covers for BN around the time that Hill/Rivers sessions would have been being "prepared for release".

(That date was recorded on 7-MAR-66, if that gives any indication of when any cover for it might have been being worked on.)

Off the top of my head I'm not sure but 'Alligator Boogaloo', 'Mr Shing-A-Ling' and 'The Jody Grind' must be some of the last. 'Forlenza Venosa Associates' got heavily involved after the Liberty takeover.

I've always wondered what was up with the unused number in the 1500 series. It's 1553, right between 1552, Jimmy Smith at the Organ Vol. 2 from 2/12/57 and 1554, Art Blakey - Orgy in Rhythm, Vol. 1 from 3/7/57.

Up over and out.

Poetic license. From pre-computer days...

Remember that era when mistakes were only human :unsure:

Concerning the colors of the covers, the films had no indication of the intended colors so the EMI art department came up with what you see.

I never knew that. But I always thought the base colour of "Blue John", judging solely by the illustrations on subsequent BJP LPs, would be a bit nearer to the blue on "The way I feel". I was a bit disappointed when I got the LP in '85 or '86, whenever it was.

MG

Edited by The Magnificent Goldberg

Concerning the colors of the covers, the films had no indication of the intended colors so the EMI art department came up with what you see.

I never knew that. But I always thought the base colour of "Blue John", judging solely by the illustrations on subsequent BJP LPs, would be a bit nearer to the blue on "The way I feel". I was a bit disappointed when I got the LP in '85 or '86, whenever it was.

MG

Additional problems arose because most BN covers were not 4 color process but printed to Pantone color numbers or custom ink blends. By the time these films were used the industry had move to "process" as the standard and everything had to be converted.

Edited by Chuck Nessa

So, other than the Hill/Rivers date that I mentioned at the beginning of this thread -- what other dates could have easily had Reid Miles covers completed at the time?

Or, maybe I'll ask a similar question this way: What "not released at the time" dates were at least assigned catalog numbers "at the time"??

Edited by Rooster_Ties

You are out of control here Rooster. Cuscuna found 9 sets of films for unissued dates and all of them came out years ago. There were another bunch of test pressings made and beyond that master tapes edited for issue. Lots of steps involved in preparing a date for issue. The "artwork" is the last. Assigning the catalog number is one of the first things you do - artwork and master tapes can't be completed without the number.

Edited by Chuck Nessa

You are out of control here Rooster. Cuscuna found 9 sets of films for unissued dates and all of them came out years ago. There were another bunch of test pressings made and beyond that master tapes edited for issue. Lots of steps involved in preparing a date for issue. The "artwork" is the last. Assigning the catalog number is one of the first things you do - artwork and master tapes can't be completed without the number.

I think Rooster meant to ask: which of all the unissued sessions were meant to be released at the time (and were assigned a catalogue number at the time).

Here is a list:

1592 Sonny Clark Quintets

4052 Tina Brooks - Back To The Tracks

4065 Stanley Turrentine - Coming Your Way

4095 Leo Parker - Rollin' With Leo

4103 Ike Quebec - Congo Lament (later released as Easy Living)

4116 The Jackie McLean Quintet

4122 Stanley Turrentine - Jubilee Shout

4134 Horace Parlan - Happy Frame Of Mind

4135 Freddie Hubbard - Here To Stay

4142 Blue Mitchell - Step Lightly

4143 "Big" John Patton - Blue John

4210 Ornette Coleman - Town Hall Concert I

4211 Ornette Coleman - Town Hall Concert II

4223 Jackie McLean - Jacknife

4233 Andrew Hill - ?

4234 Stanley Turrentine - later released as "In Memory Of" (LT 1037)

4236 Jackie McLean - High Frequency

4241 Hank Mobley - Slice Of The Top

4254 Lou Donaldson - Lush Life

4261 Sam Rivers - Dimensions & Extensions

4316 Frank Foster - ?

4366 "Big" John Patton - Memphis To New York

4367 Hank Mobley - Thinking Of Home

4371 Lonnie Smith - ?

4381 Lee Morgan - same (released later as 4901)

4065 Stanley Turrentine - Coming Your Way (issued in the Turrentine twofer vinyl LA883-J2)

4210 Ornette Coleman - Town Hall Concert I (this was issued on ESP as Town Hall 1962)

4233 Andrew Hill - ? (issued on the Sam Rivers twofer vinyl LA453-H2)

4316 Frank Foster - ? (January 1969 session that remains unissued)

4371 Lonnie Smith - ? (remains unissued)

That Lonnie Smith one - 4371 - is odd, because there aren't any unissued Smiths on BN. Perhaps it was supposed to be for the Club Mozambique session.

MG

Perhaps this one?

Lonnie Smith Quintet

Dave Hubbard (ts) Ronnie Cuber (bars) Lonnie Smith (org) Larry McGee (g) Marion Booker (d)

Rudy Van Gelder Studio, Englewood Cliffs, NJ, December 19, 1969

5713 Twenty-Five Miles Blue Note rejected

5714 Seven Steps to Heaven -

5715 Psychedelic Pi -

5716 Original Latin Blues

That Lonnie Smith one - 4371 - is odd, because there aren't any unissued Smiths on BN. Perhaps it was supposed to be for the Club Mozambique session.

MG

Perhaps this one?

Lonnie Smith Quintet

Dave Hubbard (ts) Ronnie Cuber (bars) Lonnie Smith (org) Larry McGee (g) Marion Booker (d)

Rudy Van Gelder Studio, Englewood Cliffs, NJ, December 19, 1969

5713 Twenty-Five Miles Blue Note rejected

5714 Seven Steps to Heaven -

5715 Psychedelic Pi -

5716 Original Latin Blues

I don't think so - that stuff was mostly rerecorded a fortnight later for the LP "Drives". Obviously Joe Dukes made all the difference!

MG