Any chance there's still any unreleased Reid Miles covers???

Rooster_Ties

Were all nine of the "colorized later" Reid Miles covers released on LP?? And if so, domestically, or only as imports? (and if so, from where?) See my HUGE post above, with the nine covers.

I'm about 90% sure I've seen an LP of the Leo Parker (about 8 years ago), and as best I can recall, it was a French 'DMM' issue. (90% sure it was 'DMM' - but only about 70% sure it was French. I think I bought it for somebody here on the board, and sent it to them - come to think of it.)

Bringing this up because someday I'd LOVE to find a full-size LP of the Sam Rivers date, as much for the cover as anything.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm about 90% sure I've seen an LP of the Leo Parker (about 8 years ago), and as best I can recall, it was a French 'DMM' issue. (90% sure it was 'DMM' - but only about 70% sure it was French. I think I bought it for somebody here on the board, and sent it to them - come to think of it.)

I've got the Parker. As far as I can remember, it IS a DMM job and I think it was manufactured in France. I just went to dig it out and find I've misfiled it! Arrrrgghhhh!!!! What the hell do you do when you mifile an LP? (sigh)

I'll confirm this when I find the bugger.

MG

Found it! It was in the pile I hadn't got around to refiling after playing some weeks ago (untidy bugger).

So, it IS a DMM and it was manufactured by Pathe Marconi, France.

Thinking about this business of EMI inventing the colours on those nine sleeves, it seems extraordinary that Blue Note would hire Reid Miles to do a cover but NOT ask him to do the colouring on it. So, he'd produce, for THIS LP, a white sleeve with white lines and blocks and just the words along the top and leave someone else to put the colours in?

nbn1%20164.jpg

That seems to me so extraordinary a proposition that I really can't believe it.

So, if Reid usually produced a finished article, why did EMI have to choose colours for those sleeves?

MG

Thinking about this business of EMI inventing the colours on those nine sleeves, it seems extraordinary that Blue Note would hire Reid Miles to do a cover but NOT ask him to do the colouring on it. So, he'd produce, for THIS LP, a white sleeve with white lines and blocks and just the words along the top and leave someone else to put the colours in?

So, if Reid usually produced a finished article, why did EMI have to choose colours for those sleeves?

Look back through this thread again. I don't have time to find and quote the right post(s) that I'm sure are there, but the info is there (from my memory).

In short, the color negatives (or however they existed in the files) were LOST for these specific 9 covers --- 9 covers which weren't actually used back in the day. Only the B&W "negatives" (or "positives") were ever found. So then the only way to use these covers was to "colorize" them after the fact.

They were originally in color, but decades later -- there was no way to know what the colors originally were -- so the modern EMI people had to just guess, and/or make good choices.

Edited by Rooster_Ties

Look back through this thread again. I don't have time to find and quote the right post(s) that I'm sure are there, but the info is there (from my memory).

In short, the color negatives (or however they existed in the files) were LOST for these specific 9 covers --- 9 covers which weren't actually used back in the day. Only the B&W "negatives" (or "positives") were ever found. So then the only way to use these covers was to "colorize" them after the fact.

They were originally in color, but decades later -- there was no way to know what the colors originally were -- so the modern EMI people had to just guess, and/or make good choices.

Thanks - I see now. I must have read that before, but forgot.

MG

Not quite correct. Most of the BN covers (in this case all except the Donaldon) were printed as 2 or 3 color jobs with a film for each Pantone color to be reproduced. For example Let Freedom ring would have one negative for black ink and one for red. The surviving films for Coming Your Way would have been 3 negatives and the problem is deciding what color each neg represented since the films were not marked.

Today most color printing is four color process printing and there are 4 "screened" negatives to do the same job.

That is probably unclear, but the best I can do right now.

Were all nine of the "colorized later" Reid Miles covers released on LP?? And if so, domestically, or only as imports? (and if so, from where?) See my HUGE post above, with the nine covers.

Bringing this up because someday I'd LOVE to find a full-size LP of the Sam Rivers date, as much for the cover as anything.

All nine were released - in the 80's - in the US (and in France as well).

Here is another title which has been released in the 80's, with a jacket "a la Reid Miles":

nbn4%20196_thumb.jpg

Top three from those unrleased (now released) Miles covers:

3. Back from the Tracks

2. Here to Stay

1. Dimensions and Extensions :excited::excited::excited:

Question to Chuck or anybody: does Dimensions and Extensions come before or after Hi Voltage as the last cover Miles did for BN (I don't recall the original catalogue number for D & E)?

Edited by Holy Ghost

3. Back from the Tracks

2. Here to Stay

Question to Chuck or anybody: does Dimensions and Extensions come before or after Hi Voltage as the last cover Miles did for BN (I don't recall the original catalogue number for D & E)?

Rivers - 84261

Mobley - 84273

3. Back from the Tracks

2. Here to Stay

Rivers - 84261

Mobley - 84273

The Mobley was released in April 1968 but the Rivers didn't appear in the BN Decemmber 1968 catalogue. Must have been issued in 1969 or perhaps even later. Does the catalogue number indicate the order in which RM did the sleeves? Or the release order?

MG

I've got the Parker. As far as I can remember, it IS a DMM job and I think it was manufactured in France. I just went to dig it out and find I've misfiled it! Arrrrgghhhh!!!! What the hell do you do when you mifile an LP? (sigh)

I'll confirm this when I find the bugger.

MG

Yes, I have the Leo Parker too on vinyl. Great cover design. Definitely a DMM and from Pathe Marconi, France.

The Mobley was released in April 1968 but the Rivers didn't appear in the BN Decemmber 1968 catalogue. Must have been issued in 1969 or perhaps even later. Does the catalogue number indicate the order in which RM did the sleeves? Or the release order?

MG

The Sam Rivers was issued in the mid-70s on the 'brown cover' series of Libery/UA 2LP sets put out by Msrs Cuscuna and Lourie ('Involution'). The first single LP issue was the mid-80s DMM.

Edited by sidewinder

Yes, I have the Leo Parker too on vinyl. Great cover design. Definitely a DMM and from Pathe Marconi, France.

By the time this was issued in the US they stopped importing the nasty Pathe pressings and manufactured them at Wakefield, the outfit that I used when I had a choice.

Great Rugby League team they have there.

MG

By the time this was issued in the US they stopped importing the nasty Pathe pressings and manufactured them at Wakefield, the outfit that I used when I had a choice.

Yes, the US versions are distinctly better. I still have a mountain of those French Pathe Marconis and these days they tend to collect quite a bit of dust. At the time though in Blue Note-starved UK the music therein was a total and utter revelation :excited: