Squirrel mini-emergency

OK, so I have one of those window air conditioners with the flimsy expanding plastic accordion guards that fills up the window space, as shown in the link below:

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=htt...6lr%3D%26sa%3DN

There is now a big squirrel on the ledge of my air conditioner window hell bent on getting into my apartment, and he's getting pretty close. I live in an open apartment with a cat, so if he gets in I'm going to have a very ugly episode of Wild Kingdom playing itself out in my living room.

Any ideas on getting rid of the squirrel? I obviously can't take the air conditioner out to close the window. I've tried making a lot of noise (roaring, stomping my feet), but that just gets him to stop pushing on the accordian guard for a little while... it doesn't make him go away.

I'd prefer to avoid hurting the squirrel, but if I have to I will (the risk of rabies, bites, and injuries to my cat are all larger concerns to me than the wellfare of the squirrel, but I'm not completely heartless).

Thanks for any ideas.

Edited by J Larsen

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I recommend putting a big bag of nuts out there so you can attract his whole family and wipe them all out in one fell swoop. If fighting the squirrels outside so you don't have to fight them inside doesn't work, don't worry, there'll probably be lots of infighting over the nuts anyway and they won't be so concerned with your apartment anymore.

I call this the squirrelpaper theory.

Edited by Big Wheel

I'm sorry this won't help you much, but I once had a squirrel enter my apartment through an opening from the attic. He hid under the living room couch and wouldn't budge. I was so freaked out that I called an exterminator who told me that the squirrel wanted to leave my apartment just as much as I wanted him out and that I could save a few hundred dollars in fees by simply placing a small amount of peanut butter by an open window and then leaving the room. The smell would attract the squirrel to the open window and he'd leave. It worked.

Unfortunately, BW, this thing came to a head before your suggestion and I had to take drastic measures. The squirrel is gone - he's still alive, but I doubt I'll be getting a medal from PETA.

:unsure:

I was just wondering what he would do...well, would've done...if you'd walked toward the window with your cat at the end of your outstretched hands.

Unfortunately, BW, this thing came to a head before your suggestion and I had to take drastic measures. The squirrel is gone - he's still alive, but I doubt I'll be getting a medal from PETA.

I was just wondering what he would do...well, would've done...if you'd walked toward the window with your cat at the end of your outstretched hands.

I tried that. I ended up with a new set of claw marks on my arm. I think the squirrel was a little too big of a foe for my cat to go after before it got on his territroy, but if the squirrel had gotten in, there would have been a fight.

I tried that. I ended up with a new set of claw marks on my arm. I think the squirrel was a little too big of a foe for my cat to go after before it got on his territroy, but if the squirrel had gotten in, there would have been a fight.

So you still haven't told us what you did to not earn a medal from PETA. :huh:

^_^

Just as he was about to get in, I spilled a *little* scalding coffee on him through the crack he had made between the plastic guard and the window frame - just enough to make him change his mind. Then I quickly yanked the air conditioner out of the window and slammed it shut. There was something wrong about that squirrel.

^_^

Just as he was about to get in, I spilled a *little* scalding coffee on him through the crack he had made between the plastic guard and the window frame - just enough to make him change his mind. Then I quickly yanked the air conditioner out of the window and slammed it shut. There was something wrong about that squirrel.

Rabies?

^_^

Rabies?

I actually was worried about that. The reason I mentioned it in my first post is that he seemed weirdly aggressive and determined for a squirrel - he kept showing his teeth and he was clawing at the plastic guard really hard. I thought it was a rat until I saw the tail.

i'm sorry you felt the need to pour scalding water on the squirrel. there are products available that will deter squirrels without harming them. many contain red pepper, which they can't stand. if the problem resurfaces, i recommend buying something like scoot squirrel, a spray that's easy to use and quite effective.

sqscoot.jpg