Have you hipped a friend to the magic of vinyl?

patricia

OK. The reason I started this thread was that I wondered how many of us not only love vinyl, but have spread the word about the continuing romance we have with it?

The other day my youngest daughter told me that her boyfriend has come down with the virus.

I of course was delighted.

He managed to acquire a turntable, but it has no stylus.

The turntable he now has is a piece of crap, but luckily, I solved his problem by giving him my spare, which is compatable with his sound system.

I also invited them over to peruse my collection of discs, with the exception of my jazz, which of course is off limits.

Imagine how I feel about this young man's interest in something I thought was not on his radar at all?

I have a reasonable number of albums from the sixties and seventies that I have decided to give to the cause and have asked him to bring a couple of milk crates with him when he picks up the turntable.

Have any of you done similar things to keep the interest in vinyl alive by promoting it to the next generation??

Edited by patricia

Guest sailor

Patricia, very altruistic of you to do that. Especially for a youngster who takes an interest in older music.

Smart move on the jazz record rule...off limits.

I leant one record (about 1980) and only one in my life time and I never did it again. Harped

on the friend two times "when are you gonna give me my album back;" shortly thereafter

the friend vanished. Oh, I could live without the album but I never lend records out

unless I know the person really well.

Nevertheless, yes I have made compilations for trade (comic books), quid pro quo.

:D:D:D:)

Edited by sailor

A friend of mine loaned me some LPs when we were in high school. I held on to when he moved away. A few years later, he got killed attempting to hold up a 7-11. I still have the LPs.

Moral of the story - if you're a dumbass who might someday try to rob a convenience store, and you want your vinyl to remain in good hands, I'm your guy.

A friend of mine loaned me some LPs when we were in high school. I held on to when he moved away. A few years later, he got killed attempting to hold up a 7-11. I still have the LPs.

Moral of the story - if you're a dumbass who might someday try to rob a convenience store, and you want your vinyl to remain in good hands, I'm your guy.

:D

... last week we had some "new" friends from my wife for dinner. i was playing some jazz vinyl for background music (it was an oscar peterson record) - i think he liked it cause he asked which CD was playing. so i showed him the cover of the record. he was so fascinated by it, that we talk the rest of the evening about records !

i wrote him down 10 jazz records to start with, because he wanted to buy the next day a turntable !

so we have maybe soon a new board member who's addicted to vinyl

My son and his band mates (punk rockers) buy vinyl alomost exclusively - and I set him up with a turntable at his Mom's house.

I also hooked up a good friend with the local Rega dealer and he made the plunge.

Seems the more I talk about vinyl, the more I discover people are either interested or actually playing music on turntables. Some of it is nostalgia and some of it is the presentation of the product - people seem to really like being able to hold the lp jacket, read the notes, etc. I also just think vinyl is hip these days - plus, more and more folks are discovering (or remembering) that music CAN sound pretty good with vinyl.

Plus, despite all the stories about the demise of Tower and other retailers, there are a number of solid record stores still out there, many of whom have great vinyl selections (new and used). There IS a different experience associated with flipping through vinyl versus buying CDs online (or downloading music) and I think it resonates with some folks.

Edited by Eric

:D

Gee and I only hold myself out as the go-to guy if you want to loan some LPs and then forget about them.

I tell every I get into a musical conversation with, that I went back to vinyl after getting rid of it twenty years ago. And when I go to The Corner Record Store or Vertigo Music, my regular stores, I usually see several teens and twenty somethings going through the used and new vinyl. It's a good thing.

I think when people actaully hear vinyl, they realize they didn't know they'd been missing something from the recording. Several times I have played something - rock or jazz - and the comment was "wow, and all this time I thought the CD version is/had to be the better sound".

You guys are going to wind up getting me into trouble. I have a turntable but never got into collecting LPs. The vast majority of my purchases have been made since CDs came into existence and I've continued to build my collection. Now I think I'm going to have to start scouting out LPs too. Where am I going to find the space (not to mention the $$) :angry:

:g

Thanks for the belly laugh, JSngry.

LJAZZ, Did you mean that you have a turntable, but NO records?

Sailer, regarding giving my daughter's boyfriend access to ALL my records for his new collection, with the exception of my jazz. I'm nice and want to promote music on vinyl. But, I'm not insane.;)

Edited by patricia

I have four crates of vinyl, a fun little collection which doesn't repeat anything from my cd collection. When I play them, it takes me a few weeks to get through everything before going back to my cds. I always forget about titles I have, so it makes it fun to go through them.

My turntable is crap though, I need to buy a better one so I don't wear my records out.

I have four crates of vinyl, a fun little collection which doesn't repeat anything from my cd collection. When I play them, it takes me a few weeks to get through everything before going back to my cds. I always forget about titles I have, so it makes it fun to go through them.

My turntable is crap though, I need to buy a better one so I don't wear my records out.

Your turntable's condition is not as crucial as the condition of your stylus.

I smiled when you said that your record collection doesn't repeat anything from your CD one.

There are some things which I have not only the record, but the CD and the audiotape.

Am I beyond redemption?;)

Okay Jim, I know you have never sold an LP; once the vinyl hits your collection, it stays. My question is:

What was your very first LP? (purchase or gift)

Edited by slide_advantage_redoux

Okay Jim, I know you have never sold an LP; once the vinyl hits your collection, it stays. My question is:

What was your very first LP? (purchase or gift)

34beb340dca0cf9f9f3f7010._AA240_.L.jpg

Bought it in early 1967, lost it somewhere in the late 70s.

Still one of the great rock&roll albums afaic. Non-stop energy & some great George solos.

Thanks for the belly laugh, JSngry.

You're welcome, but it really is a true story. The guy tried to hold up a 7-11 by using his finger inside his jacket pocket to simulate a concealed weapon. Tried it again on the cops when they pulled up. BAM! - instant permanent addition to my collection.

Even dumber still (and another true story) was the high school classmate of mine who drowned trying to rescue a friend who had fallen into the lake. I wasn't there, but supposedly Earl (his real name) was first heard yelling, "Hold on Tommy, I'm coming in after you", then was last heard (shortly thereafter) screaming, "HELP ME TOMMY! I CAN'T SWIM!"

Earl didn't buy any records though. Dammit.

Tommy could swim just fine and made it to shore before realizing what had happened to Earl. Tommy cried at the funeral, as did many, but a few days later, everybody was laughing at Earl for dieing the way he had lived - as a total dumbass.

Sure wish he'd have bought some records, though.

Tommy could swim just fine and made it to shore before realizing what had happened to Earl. Tommy cried at the funeral, as did many, but a few days later, everybody was laughing at Earl for dieing the way he had lived - as a total dumbass.

Sure wish he'd have bought some records, though.

To digress even further. I still remember my brother's wife saying, when asked about the death of one of my friends' fathers that his death was "alcohol related". Someone said sypathetically, "cirrosis"? My brother laughed and said that Harold [my friend's father] had gotten totally wasted, decided there was way too much snow on the roof of his house, climbed up on the roof and fallen off, breaking his neck. Dumbass.

He had no records either. :(

But, getting back to the subject of vinyl.

Some hesitate to explore the exciting and rewarding world of records because they are discouraged by the cost of vintage records.

Though it's true that rare records are expensive, like all collector's items are, there are lots of records available that are affordable.

Start off by checking out the classifieds in your local paper on the weekends.

Then look for records at second hand stores.

They sometimes have some, among the old sofas and miscellaneous.

Estate and even garage and yard sales are sometimes goldmines for old vinyl.

Used record stores sell most of their records at reasonable prices usually.

My favourite store prices their stuff from about $6 to about $20, so not free, but reasonable.

But, and who can blame them for this, if the record is rare, they know it and will charge accordingly.

Also, and this is important.

Don't just buy records because they are records.

Decide what genres you're interested in actually listening to.

A record collection can get away from you, leaving you with all sorts of stuff that you really don't listen to.

It's a kind of wonderful insanity, so watch yourself.

I think it's a mistake to start a collection with the idea of selling it to make a profit at some point.

Like all art, collect what gives you joy.

To me, it's real value is in the enjoyment you get from listening to the music.

And NOJ, get a new stylus already. :blink:

Edited by patricia

Some of it is nostalgia and some of it is the presentation of the product - people seem to really like being able to hold the lp jacket, read the notes, etc.

Eric, I believe you're right about the whole allure of vinyl.

Of course, part of it is that although much of the music has been re-recorded on CD, particularly jazz, not all of it has.

Many of the collections which were originally produced by tiny record labels, now defunct, can only be heard if you have a turntable.

There is more space on the cover than on a CD for information about the artists and the music presented.

That is a huge part of why I love records.

I'm thinking of such labels as Black Swan, Liberty, JazzTone [a mail-order company] and others.

When I see the distinctive JazzTone cover, my heart actually speeds up.

The hunt, if it results in discovering just one or two good finds is as rewarding as listening to the disc when I get it home.

But, I must reiterate my cautionary note that you must try to be discriminating about your choices.

Records do require more storage space, since each should be on it's edge on sturdy shelving.

Records can be much more easily damaged if they are not treated with the respect they deserve.

Always store them in their sleeves, in their covers, away from the radiator and out of the sun.

Excessive heat will warp your treasures and turn them into garbage.

Immediately after you have played one, put it back in its cover.

When I was growing up, not doing so was a hanging offence, at least to my father.

Handle them only by their edges.

Pay attention to the condition of your stylus. [JON!!!] :cool:

If a record becomes damaged, it can't be repaired.

And remember that they are to be listened to, not just collected.

And JSngry my first album, as a young teenager, was an "8 Top Hits" compilation. I rested for a while some years later, got rid of my turntable and records and went to CD.

I then re-gained my sanity, bought one of those huge pieces of furniture which used to be called a combination [radio/record-player] since replaced with a good turntable. My first record, after my hiatus, was Jazz - Chicago Style by Max Kaminsky. Since then, the virus is unstoppable. I've never enjoyed an obsession quite so much.;)

Edited by patricia