Joe Pass recomendations

PHILLYQ

Hello all,

I'm interested in checking out Joe Pass, but I don't know where to begin. Can anyone recommend a disc or two of his that you think is his best work? Thanks to all who reply.

Don't have much of his music, but "Virtuoso" is great and I believe often recommended as a first choice. Only caveat is that it's solo guitar -- just in case you aren't into that. His stuff on Pablo (of which there is a ton, I know) is often regarded as his best.

Edited by LJazz

I strongly recommend "For Django" a quartet date with second guitar, bass/drums.

f84082ma6lq.jpg

The live date "Joy Spring" also from 1964, is quite good too.

d10847yj937.jpg

Took the cover scans right outta my mouth. I also would recommend "Virtuoso" for a great example of his later, solo style.

All the Virtuosos are worth it, IMO. Virtuoso 3, however, is a personal, sentimental favorite--it concentrates on originals, far more subtle (read: less flash) than the others. For all the bombast and technique, Pass was, foremost, a remarkably tasteful player... on full evidence, here.

Edited by ep1str0phy

All the Virtuosos are worth it, IMO. Virtuoso 3, however, is a personal, sentimental favorite--it concentrates on originals, far more subtle (read: less flash) than the others. For all the bombast and technique, Pass was, foremost, a remarkably tasteful player... on full evidence, here.

If you wanna hear old Joe in a playing situation that is 'uncharacteristic', check him burning and poppin in a soul jazz format with Charles Kynard, on a session that I think is added onto Kynards "Soul Brotherhood' cd re-issue. Although it might be "Aphro-Disiac', not sure. Boy Pass could make it real in any situation!

And one hell of an obstinate man to boot, apparently.

a quite good and comprehensive overview gets you that Pablo 4CD box released in 1997 that contains all blends of Pass.

For a long time (Beside some stuff he did as Peterson sideman) that was all I needed...

B000000XHV.01._SCMZZZZZZZ_.jpg

I'm not 100% sure if that is still in print but I believe it helps for a good start...

Cheer, Oliver

Edited by tjobbe

• 2 weeks later...

a quite good and comprehensive overview gets you that Pablo 4CD box released in 1997 that contains all blends of Pass.

For a long time (Beside some stuff he did as Peterson sideman) that was all I needed...

I'm not 100% sure if that is still in print but I believe it helps for a good start...

Cheer, Oliver

agree. I enjoy this collection quite a lot. Easy to find-ebay, half, etc.

The Mosaic box is a good overview of his Pacific Jazz material - besides the "Django" Lp there's "Catch Me" (my favorite) and lots of Pass with Les McCann - very hard to find in any other CD format. And look for the Groove Holmes/Les McCann "Something Special" - more Pass in a "soul" setting, maybe the best of his early appearances in this vein. (Joe Pass and Clifford Scott!!)

Thanks to all who replied- I really appreciate the recommendations. I saw the Pass Mosaic on sale, and I bit. I've listened to one disc so far, and I LOVE IT!!!!(Side note: I ordered the disc on a Thursday morning and it was delivered to my door on Friday evening! Thank you, Mosaic.) later this week I'll spin some more Pass. Thanks again everyone.

Thanks to all who replied- I really appreciate the recommendations. I saw the Pass Mosaic on sale, and I bit. I've listened to one disc so far, and I LOVE IT!!!!(Side note: I ordered the disc on a Thursday morning and it was delivered to my door on Friday evening! Thank you, Mosaic.) later this week I'll spin some more Pass. Thanks again everyone.

That's a nice box. I've been through it once, need to spin it again.

Cheer, Oliver

agree. I enjoy this collection quite a lot. Easy to find-ebay, half, etc.

Yep--got this for the proverbial song from BMG a couple of years back. Very nice collection & intro to Pass' Pablo work.