Jack Teagarden

(BB)

Not having any Jack Teagarden, I picked up Jazz Maverick! on a whim. The trombone playing was great as I expected, but it was his singing just floored me. I found his casual tone and somewhat gravely voice very genuine and touching in an early Tom Waits kind of way. I wonder if his other Roulette sides are in this same vein, or where else in his catalog I might look to find some similar stuff.

Thanks in advance,

Bill

I'm a stone cold Teagarden fan and that's a fact Jack!

I enjoy so many of his recordings that it's hard to choose a favorite, but in a lot of ways the Roulettes are great, the Verves are great (including the one not on cd yet) and yet I would say I react the strongest to his recordings (mainly with others) in the thirties.

Edited by jazzbo

A favorite Teagarden album is the 'A Hundred Years From Today' CD that came out on the Grudge label.

Recorded at the Monterey festival in 1963. It was a happy reunion of the Teagarden family and also featured guests like Pee Wee Russell, Gery Mulligan and Joe Sullivan.

Teagarden at his most relaxed and enjoyable best.

There are a lot of Teagarden vocals on the v-disc sides he cut with his big band in the mid 40s (Big T Jump). The focus of the big band stuff seems to be primarily on his singing, so if that's what you're looking for it would be a good place to start.

Big t jump

Some vocals and good playing by Tea are also on the Bud Freeman disc that's part of the Mosaic singles series.

Edited by montg

Teagarden was a wonderful singer. Everything mentioned above is worth owning. He may have been the greatest white blues singer ever. I also like his early vocal recordings with various bands; not as relaxed and drawling as he became later, but still charmingly unique and inevitably a highlight of each side he appeared on.

I love everything about this guy. His voice and, especially, his superlative musicianship. One of my particular favorites is the version of"Rockin' Chair" he does with Satchmo. Just so laid back and relaxed.

There is an excellent Teagarden documentary I saw several years ago. If you ever get a chance to catch this, don't pass up the chance. You'll be an even bigger fan because of it.

Up over and out.

Edited by Dave James

• 3 weeks later...

I'm going to revive this thread and ask if anybody can tell me about the one Verve LP that hasn't yet been released on cd. I think it was simply titled "Jack Teagarden." It's long been a giant hole in my Teagarden collection, and I wish they'd reissue it!!

Oh yeah, my favorite Teagarden? "St. James Infirmery" recorded with Satch at Town Hall. Oh yeah! :wub:

The "When You Wish upon a star" CD also has some fine singing:

http://www.jackteagarden.com/shopping01.htm

The Naxos Collection: Texas Tea Party has Jack's on vocal on 17 of the 18 selections. My favourite collection.

http://www.naxos.com/catalogue/item.asp?item_code=8.120585

My all-time favourite song by this great artist is "It's all in your mind" from the Verve CD:

http://www.amazon.com/Mis-ry-Blues-Jack-Te...TF8&s=music

Simply wonderful feeling.

Edited by jostber

I'm going to revive this thread and ask if anybody can tell me about the one Verve LP that hasn't yet been released on cd. I think it was simply titled "Jack Teagarden." It's long been a giant hole in my Teagarden collection, and I wish they'd reissue it!!

Oh yeah, my favorite Teagarden? "St. James Infirmery" recorded with Satch at Town Hall. Oh yeah! :wub:

It's not generally known, but Jack's son has reissued that Verve lp as one of the three cds that he sells on the website. . . .

I bought all three of those cds, and there's lots of great Teagarden on them. It's actually been some time since I last heard them, and I would pull them out right now if I could, but I'm in another city from my collection. . . .

It's not generally known, but Jack's son has reissued that Verve lp as one of the three cds that he sells on the website. . . .

I bought all three of those cds, and there's lots of great Teagarden on them. It's actually been some time since I last heard them, and I would pull them out right now if I could, but I'm in another city from my collection. . . .

Could you give me the url? Thanks!

Greg M.

I'm not even sure if they got the rights, or if Tea had the master as part of his arrangement for that lp, etc. . . . But you'll enjoy the cd.

I don't doubt that! It would be interesting to know about the rights. It was pretty unusual, I think, for artists to own their masters at that time. The movie "Ray" made a big deal out of Ray Charles owning his masters at ABC/Paramount. I haven't read any biographies of Charles, so I don't know how accurate the movie was about that. For all his legendary status, Tea wasn't exactly a chart-topper, so it seems to me like it would be unusual for him to be able to make that kind of deal, but you never know.

Regardless, I'm definitely looking forward to hearing the music--Bobby Hackett with him on it too!