Jack Teagarden

(BB)

I'm not even sure if they got the rights, or if Tea had the master as part of his arrangement for that lp, etc. . . . But you'll enjoy the cd.

I don't doubt that! It would be interesting to know about the rights. It was pretty unusual, I think, for artists to own their masters at that time. The movie "Ray" made a big deal out of Ray Charles owning his masters at ABC/Paramount. I haven't read any biographies of Charles, so I don't know how accurate the movie was about that. For all his legendary status, Tea wasn't exactly a chart-topper, so it seems to me like it would be unusual for him to be able to make that kind of deal, but you never know.

Regardless, I'm definitely looking forward to hearing the music--Bobby Hackett with him on it too!

I don't personally believe that Joe Teagarden has the rights to this Verve lp, but that he is just putting it out because he wanted to have a "prize" recording to offer and he's mad at how his dad's work has been stiffed by some majors and bootlegged all over the world.

I'm not even sure if they got the rights, or if Tea had the master as part of his arrangement for that lp, etc. . . . But you'll enjoy the cd.

I don't doubt that! It would be interesting to know about the rights. It was pretty unusual, I think, for artists to own their masters at that time. The movie "Ray" made a big deal out of Ray Charles owning his masters at ABC/Paramount. I haven't read any biographies of Charles, so I don't know how accurate the movie was about that. For all his legendary status, Tea wasn't exactly a chart-topper, so it seems to me like it would be unusual for him to be able to make that kind of deal, but you never know.

Regardless, I'm definitely looking forward to hearing the music--Bobby Hackett with him on it too!

I don't personally believe that Joe Teagarden has the rights to this Verve lp, but that he is just putting it out because he wanted to have a "prize" recording to offer and he's mad at how his dad's work has been stiffed by some majors and bootlegged all over the world.

Well, if that's the case, I'm in a *hurry* to get the album! ;)

• 2 years later...

Can anyone tell me more about his Bethlehem date (very briefly mentioned here)? I'm a Teagarden newbie and own absolutely nothing by him. I'm worried about the singing although it seems everyone enjoys it here. So what kind of music is it? Is it jazz or dixieland? I can get the Beth date for $10, should I take the plunge? Comments are more than welcome ^_^

-HG

Listen to Chuck and Lon. Re Tea's singing: It's as warm and personable as it gets.

Agreed. Teagarden's singing is as soulful as his playing. I wish I could have met/got to know him.

For that matter, I also think of Frank Rosolino's scatting as an accurate representation of his style (articulation, vocabulary, energy) on the horn.

Listen to Chuck and Lon. Re Tea's singing: It's as warm and personable as it gets.

Agreed. Teagarden's singing is as soulful as his playing. I wish I could have met/got to know him.

For that matter, I also think of Frank Rosolino's scatting as an accurate representation of his style (articulation, vocabulary, energy) on the horn.

Absolutely.

If there would be an album called "Jack Teagarden Sings", this would be my selection of 20 classics:

1. It's All In Your Mind

2. Nobody's Knows The Trouble I've Seen

3. If I Could Be With You One Hour Tonight

4. One Hundred Years From Today

5. Don't Smoke In Bed

6. Stars Fell On Alabama

7. Music To Love By

8. St.James Infirmary

9. Time After Time

10. Where Are You?

11. Nobody Knows (And Nobody Seems To Care)

12. Say It Simple So I Understand

13. Love Me

14. Body And Soul

15. Meet Me Where They Play The Blues

16. A Monday Date

17. Misr'y And The Blues

18. Baby, Won't You Please Come Home?

19. All The Way

20. Rockin' Chair

If there would be an album called "Jack Teagarden Sings", this would be my selection of 20 classics:

1. It's All In Your Mind

2. Nobody's Knows The Trouble I've Seen

3. If I Could Be With You One Hour Tonight

4. One Hundred Years From Today

5. Don't Smoke In Bed

6. Stars Fell On Alabama

7. Music To Love By

8. St.James Infirmary

9. Time After Time

10. Where Are You?

11. Nobody Knows (And Nobody Seems To Care)

12. Say It Simple So I Understand

13. Love Me

14. Body And Soul

15. Meet Me Where They Play The Blues

16. A Monday Date

17. Misr'y And The Blues

18. Baby, Won't You Please Come Home?

19. All The Way

20. Rockin' Chair

That's a good list. I'd add "I Cover the Waterfront" and maybe "The Sheikh of Araby." But "St. James Infirmary" is still it for me. Superb, sublime and transcendental!

greg mo

greg mo

• 1 year later...