Snakes on a Plane

It's a New Line movie, by whom I am employed. Really tanked at the box office. I think a lot of folks felt like Stefan about it, it will probably kick ass on DVD.

As I'm sure many are aware, this was sort of a test-case of whether or not a huge internet buzz could "open" a movie. Turned out it couldn't, probably because the internet dweebs who hyped it are waiting for it to come out on DVD so they can bit-torrent it for free. :rolleyes:

My question is, has there ever before been a film in which the first four words of the pitch meeting became the title? It certainly summarized the movie and probably had a lot to do with getting it green-lighted.

Edited by Dan Gould

Personally, I think it would be HORRIBLE on DVD. This film needs a big screen and a huge audience. Watching in your living room wont work at all.

I loved it. It sure did deliver what it promised. Sneaking beer into the theater certainly helped as well.

It has gotten alot of positive word of mouth. I wouldnt be surprised if it does well this weekend.

Here's what I wrote last week on another message board about SoaP:

Last night was one of the two greatest audience participation movie experiences of my life. The theater was packed with mostly kids that were hissing and chanting "Snakes! Snakes! Snakes!" a half hour before the flick started. The place erupted in applause when four or five guys walked in covered in plastic and rubber snakes. One guy, in a straw cowboy hat, kept leaping up and whirling a snake over his head, leading the audience in chants, pumping his other fist. Then three other costumed people walked in, a guy with a sandwich board with SNAKES ON A MOTHERF****ING PLANE written on it, a guy behind him with his arms held out, with poster board wings and a cone hat, dressed all in white, and a snake covered girl. The place went bananas. All this before the movie even started. When it did, everybody screamed and howled throughout, but at all the right places. Like the campy dialog, the

obviously cardboard, two-dimensional characters, and the actors hamming it up. This movie seemed like a throwback to the 60s/70s B or C level genre flicks I used to love on late night UHF TV. (This is Ghoul or MST3K material, through and through). BUT, the director does know how to ramp up the suspense and shoot violence. My date was clutching my arm or jumping in her seat a lot. And at the end, the theater exploded in applause.

Now, a week later, I'm kind of disappointed that my experience didn't translate into some decent box-office numbers. The movie is cheesy, but it's also exactly what the title states. And I had such a load of mindless, spontaneous fun with a theater filled with people GEEKED over this flick, that it's a shame the phenom wasn't wide spread.

Oh, well, I had mine, jack.

Edited by Werf

• 8 months later...

It is a really fun movie. And Sam Jackson's quote is really one of the great lines in recent Hollywood history. When I think about it, whatever happened to the days of cheesy quotable lines from big, mainstream movies? Don't seem to get much of that anymore.