BFT 39 - Disc 1 - Answers!

Dan Gould

No one wants to comment on Stitt wailing over "Agent Double O Soul"? I thought it was the ultimate WTF track of the bunch. :P

I thought I had! I asked if you knew about any album releases for that one and the one with Hank Marr.

If I thought I could get them on an album - even with a load of (other) trash on it - I would have my tongue hanging out.

MG

Yes - it's still there - post 16, top of page.

Edited by The Magnificent Goldberg

No one wants to comment on Stitt wailing over "Agent Double O Soul"? I thought it was the ultimate WTF track of the bunch. :P

I thought I had! I asked if you knew about any album releases for that one and the one with Hank Marr.

If I thought I could get them on an album - even with a load of (other) trash on it - I would have my tongue hanging out.

MG

Yes - it's still there - post 16, top of page.

Well, I meant commenting on the idea of taking the backing track and having Sonny solo on top. Pretty wild stuff, if you ask me.

I did notice your question, sorry that I hadn't responded. I'm not aware of any LP issue, I'm afraid. But now you've got the best of the bunch (Hank's Groove and Sonny's Groove aren't nearly as fun, for me).

Well, I meant commenting on the idea of taking the backing track and having Sonny solo on top. Pretty wild stuff, if you ask me.

I remember a soul group's single where they had the same basic track used for both sides of a single, one side with some kind of vocals, the other side simply without them. Can't remember the group's name .....

The flip side of The Fantabulous Johnny C's "Boogaloo Down Broadway" was the same rhythm track with different words and title.

Stan Lewis repeated that trick a while later with a Big Joe Turner side on Jewel, using the same backing tracks for several "different" songs. I'm surprised he didn't get Stitt in to blow! :g

Edited by JSngry

Paul Winley was ace at using the same stuff for backing tracks. The whole of "Harlem underground" by the Harlem Underground Band is run over tracks recorded (for Winley) by Willis Jackson, which were issued on Trip. They come from his LPs "Mellow blues", "Funky reggae" and "Willis Jackson plays around with the hits". I believe the same tracks were also used for an album I haven't got called "Erotic moods" by George Benson, who was said to be one of the guitarists on the first two Jackson LPs (though he's unrecognisable).

Winley also recorded an album by Gene Ammons with Howard McGhee, which apparently first issued on Argo 4020, with a rhythm section I've never heard of. Barney Richmond on bass; Jake Fisher on guitar; Willie Mashburn on drums; and Waco on bongos. I've often wondered if this was another case of running solos over an pre-existing backing track. Anyone know?

MG

Winley also recorded an album by Gene Ammons with Howard McGhee, which apparently first issued on Argo 4020, with a rhythm section I've never heard of. Barney Richmond on bass; Jake Fisher on guitar; Willie Mashburn on drums; and Waco on bongos. I've often wondered if this was another case of running solos over an pre-existing backing track. Anyone know?

That is the album House Warmin' and is one of my favorite McGhee albums. Definitely not any sort of pre-existing backing track, just warm, very bluesy and soulful blowing by all concerned. Highly recommended.

That is the album House Warmin' and is one of my favorite McGhee albums. Definitely not any sort of pre-existing backing track, just warm, very bluesy and soulful blowing by all concerned. Highly recommended.

Funny you should say that - I think of it as one of my favouriteAmmons albums! :D

MG

Funny you should say that - I think of it as one of my favouriteAmmons albums! :D

MG

that's funny - didn't they keep Ammons' name off the album because he was signed to Prestige at the time?

And if you have the LP anyway - what makes you think that the rhythm tracks are separate?

MG

that's funny - didn't they keep Ammons' name off the album because he was signed to Prestige at the time?

And if you have the LP anyway - what makes you think that the rhythm tracks are separate?

I never heard the rhythm tracks as separate, though I'm not sure I'd always be able to recognise it. I simply thought, knowing Winley's rep, "I wonder if...", y'know? Because there's this rhythm section with what are maybe made-up names.

MG

MG

I never heard the rhythm tracks as separate, though I'm not sure I'd always be able to recognise it. I simply thought, knowing Winley's rep, "I wonder if...", y'know? Because there's this rhythm section with what are maybe made-up names.

MG

I see ... but it was originally an Argo LP. Never knew how it got to be a Winley LP but unless there's a difference between the two of them, I don't think Winley did anything to it. (And I actually bought both LPs once - the Winley name threw me - so I can confirm that they didn't do anything to the tracks.)

TRACK 9

"This is the Way 'Tis"

The Three Sounds

It Just Got To Be (Blue Note - but only on the JRVG reissue)

Gene Harris, piano

Andy Simpkins, bass

Bill Dowdy, drums

0000299743_170.jpg

Well, y'all knew that the former GHF was going to slip in a Gene Harris track. I tried to fool you by picking a tune that's only seen release in Japan but the trio (or Gene) is too recognizable to most of you, or else you all know me too well. :g (I also liked this tune as a continuation of the gospel sounds of the prior two tracks).

I don't care if this was the gimme on the collection.... I still get to say I got one right!!!! :party::party::party:

• 2 weeks later...

I also remember Cliff Nobles' using the basic track of "The Horse" several times on the LP.

Well, maybe I mixed up something here: I dug out my old 45 of Fantastic Johnny C's "Hitch it to the Horse", and that turns out to use the instrumental track of Cliff Nobles and Co., "The Horse". Turns out I don't have the Nobles LP anymore to check it.

Recycling backing tracks was pretty common in R&B circles, methinks ...

Edited by mikeweil

• 1 month later...
  • 6 years later...