what are you drinking right now?

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 7/6/2019 at 1:14 PM, bresna said:

14 Justin Savant. Large group so if that runs out, up next is the 2014 Hess Collection Cabernet Sauvignon.

https://wineexpress.scene7.com/is/image/WineExpress/f/500/132015614_1.jpg

https://images.vivino.com/thumbs/jzBmiqJ9TU6Xlu8lRqyImw_pl_375x500.png

How are Hess wines? I go to Mount De La Salle often (next door to Hess), and I've always been tempted to stop there.

10 hours ago, Matthew said:

How are Hess wines? I go to Mount De La Salle often (next door to Hess), and I've always been tempted to stop there.

I don't think Hess makes a bad wine. They try to keep their prices down, which I like. The 2016 Hess Estate Chardonnay was a phenomenal bottle of wine for $17. This particular 2014 Hess Collection Cabernet Sauvignon was just OK... for the money. For $50 (on sale from ~$60) I felt it should have been better. Maybe I got a bad cork? It happens. The 2012 vintage was superb.

Their single estate Cabernet from their Allomi Vineyard is very good and very nicely priced for a single estate Cab. The Hess Select line is good wine at a good price - typically under $10. I don't know if they have any wines that they only sell there. It's worth stopping by to see. :)

58 minutes ago, bresna said:

I don't think Hess makes a bad wine. They try to keep their prices down, which I like. The 2016 Hess Estate Chardonnay was a phenomenal bottle of wine for $17. This particular 2014 Hess Collection Cabernet Sauvignon was just OK... for the money. For $50 (on sale from ~$60) I felt it should have been better. Maybe I got a bad cork? It happens. The 2012 vintage was superb.

Their single estate Cabernet from their Allomi Vineyard is very good and very nicely priced for a single estate Cab. The Hess Select line is good wine at a good price - typically under $10. I don't know if they have any wines that they only sell there. It's worth stopping by to see. :)

Many thanks!

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, jlhoots said:

Turley Zinfandel Juvenile 2017 - great price on a very good wine.

What is it going for these days? I used to get this from the winery for $30/bottle but the shipping got up to almost $9/bottle, so I dropped off their list years ago. In recent years, I've been able to get it for $39/bottle and I've grabbed several but... I just don't think it's worth it. There are great Zins out there for a lot less money and great high-end Zins for not much more. I still prefer the Juvenile to their other "cheaper Zin", the Old Vine Zin, but again, with what I paid, I expected more.

BTW - this wine is the only wine that gives my wife a red face. Weirdest thing. We drink plenty of reds, including many Zins, and this one wine gives her hot flashes and a red face. She won't drink it any more.

14 hours ago, Matthew said:

Hess Select 2016

Image result for hess select cabernet sauvignon 2016

How was this? I've found these Selects to be good "bang for the buck" wines.

Edited by bresna

16 minutes ago, bresna said:

What is it going for these days? I used to get this from the winery for $30/bottle but the shipping got up to almost $9/bottle, so I dropped off their list years ago. In recent years, I've been able to get it for $39/bottle and I've grabbed several but... I just don't think it's worth it. There are great Zins out there for a lot less money and great high-end Zins for not much more. I still prefer the Juvenile to their other "cheaper Zin", the Old Vine Zin, but again, with what I paid, I expected more.

BTW - this wine is the only wine that gives my wife a red face. Weirdest thing. We drink plenty of reds, including many Zins, and this one wine gives her hot flashes and a red face. She won't drink it any more.

I've seen the Juvenile priced variably from $25 - $35. The regular Seghesio bottling may be a better deal.

1 hour ago, jlhoots said:

I've seen the Juvenile priced variably from $25 - $35. The regular Seghesio bottling may be a better deal.

My favorite big Zin these days is the last "real" Seghesio, San Lorenzo. It's the only estate that's still owned & run by a Seghesio (Peter). The family sold the label back 2011 but Peter kept the family's original site. The 2014 was phenomenal. The 2015 was a step down but still good.

My favorite wine store is telling me that he may be able to get some of Carlisle's Zins. I have been wanting to try their wines for years, as they always seem to garner high scores. My only concern now is that high-scoring Zins have lately been on the drier & lighter side. The days of a 95 point jammy fruit bomb seem to have retired with Robert Parker. I love Zins that are jammy fruit bombs. Ridge used to fit the bill but since Paul Draper retired, their wines have been dried out and I won't buy them any more.

Edited by bresna

32 minutes ago, bresna said:

My favorite big Zin these days is the last "real" Seghesio, San Lorenzo. It's the only estate that's still owned & run by a Seghesio (Peter). The family sold the label back 2011 but Peter kept the family's original site. The 2014 was phenomenal. The 2015 was a step down but still good.

My favorite wine store is telling me that he may be able to get some of Carlisle's Zins. I have been wanting to try their wines for years, as they always seem to garner high scores. My only concern now is that high-scoring Zins have lately been on the drier & lighter side. The days of a 95 point jammy fruit bomb seem to have retired with Robert Parker. I love Zins that are jammy fruit bombs. Ridge used to fit the bill but since Paul Draper retired, their wines have been dried out and I won't buy them any more.

I'm with you. Give me a jammy fruit bomb any day!!

6 hours ago, bresna said:

I liked the Hess Select, it had a lighter taste that other cabernets I've had, and for $20.00, well worth the price. I'm going to try others in the next couple of weeks.