what are you drinking right now?

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

9 hours ago, bresna said:

Under $10 is getting harder to do. I still think Gnarly Head's Zin is pretty good if uncomplicated vino for around $7.

(Bodega) Septima Malbec (Argentina) used to be an automatic recommendation in this price point, but recent vintages have come out with retail prices closer to $12. In general, you should still be able to find many good Malbecs from Argentina under $15. There's also a bunch of Spanish Garnaca wines in that same price range.

Thanks. Another winner in the sub$10 category is Torrebruna Sangiovese. I bought two cases, comes up to well under $8 per bottle. I buy it from Wollaston’s in Quincy.
Malbecs are great budget wines too!

2 hours ago, jlhoots said:

Later today K Vintners 2016 The Boy

97 points for a straight Granache? That's unusual for a grape that's normally blended. It must be a good one.

I've tasted several of K Vintner's wines and have not been overly impressed for the price. They've all been tasty, sure, but they've also all been between $50-100. That's a lot of money. Sometimes, I think that Charles Smith takes his "rock star" reputation too seriously and prices his wines accordingly. He dumped his "affordable" label a few years ago too.

13 minutes ago, bresna said:

97 points for a straight Granache? That's unusual for a grape that's normally blended. It must be a good one.

I've tasted several of K Vintner's wines and have not been overly impressed for the price. They've all been tasty, sure, but they've also all been between $50-100. That's a lot of money. Sometimes, I think that Charles Smith takes his "rock star" reputation too seriously and prices his wines accordingly. He dumped his "affordable" label a few years ago too.

He still owns Substance & CasaSmith which have some lower priced wines. Motor City Kitty is a K Vintners wine that goes for under $40 & is excellent IMHO.

Having said that, we do enjoy some of the higher priced wines in the portfolio. When we visited Walla Walla, he & his staff were very nice to us.

I thought Barolo wines were supposed to be uniformly good, heavy and rich. This was light, almost no fruit to taste, and the color wasn't amazing. I was disappointed.. $35. Is it possible it's counterfeit? IMG_6249[1]

Viu Manent Cabernet Sauvignon, at 1/5 the cost, was much better.  Life is still full of surprises.

Edited by Dmitry

11 hours ago, Dmitry said:

I thought Barolo wines were supposed to be uniformly good, heavy and rich. This was light, almost no fruit to taste, and the color wasn't amazing. I was disappointed.. $35. Is it possible it's counterfeit?

Like any wine, not all Barolos are created equally. I've had great Barolos and some that were not good at all. It's also possible that you got a bad cork. There were a few studies that show as much as 10% of all corked bottles have some cork taint.