what are you drinking right now?

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

70820-Rochefort%20Triple%20Extra.png

To explain the significance, let me cite a review from ratebeer.com

"The trappist monks of Rochefort are not known for being very progressive or open to change - in fact, their range of just three beers, each one based on the other, is perhaps the most stable and 'fixed' of all Belgian breweries: since the introduction of the 'intermediate' Rochefort 8 in 1954, joining the already existing 6 and 10, absolutely nothing has changed. Until now: after I have been playfully pondering about the idea for years, the monks suddenly decided to create a tripel, their first new beer in 66 years (though it seems to be inspired by a brew they made somewhere in the 1920s). I could hardly believe it when I first read about it - I thought it was some or other practical joke among beer geeks on social media, of the kind you see popping up each year on April Fool's Day - but I have it right in front of me now and it is indeed very real."

20 hours ago, Niko said:

70820-Rochefort%20Triple%20Extra.png

To explain the significance, let me cite a review from ratebeer.com

"The trappist monks of Rochefort are not known for being very progressive or open to change - in fact, their range of just three beers, each one based on the other, is perhaps the most stable and 'fixed' of all Belgian breweries: since the introduction of the 'intermediate' Rochefort 8 in 1954, joining the already existing 6 and 10, absolutely nothing has changed. Until now: after I have been playfully pondering about the idea for years, the monks suddenly decided to create a tripel, their first new beer in 66 years (though it seems to be inspired by a brew they made somewhere in the 1920s). I could hardly believe it when I first read about it - I thought it was some or other practical joke among beer geeks on social media, of the kind you see popping up each year on April Fool's Day - but I have it right in front of me now and it is indeed very real."

I wonder why they didn't call it 12 or 13 instead of Triple? Maybe they didn't want to scare people away by pointing out the ABV?

15 hours ago, bresna said:

I wonder why they didn't call it 12 or 13 instead of Triple? Maybe they didn't want to scare people away by pointing out the ABV?

these numbers are loosely tight to ABV, so the 6, 8 and 10 have resepctive about 7.5, 9.2 and 11.2 ABV... heavy beers but excellent - which means they hide the ABV reasonably well...  in that logic the new one would be the 7... the major innovation is that the 6, 8 and 10 are all dark beers while this one here is a blonde one... in the logic of these trappist beers, a Dubbel is a somewhat heavy, sweet dark beer with about 7%, a Quadrupel is a decidedly heavy, sweet dark beer with about 10% while a triple is a somewhat fruity/spicy blonde beer with about 8.5%... so the Triple makes perfect sense here because it signals the lighter color and somewhat different taste...