what are you drinking right now?

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

25 minutes ago, mjazzg said:

I don't know La Chouffe but I'm intrigued now. Looks like it might be available here too

It’s one of my favorite Belgian blonde beers. Here it’s for sale in the local supermarkets. Lucky me ☺️ 

It's not my favorite Belgian beer but I do like it as well... I'd say it strikes a nice balance somewhere between the real heavy spicy beers (like a Westmalle tripel or Tripel Karmeliet), some lighter, less interesting blonde beers (like a Leffe Blonde) and then those really weird but fascinating beers that give you a headache that's completely out of proportion to the abv (like a Duvel or Orval, never have more than one of those on the same night...). The thing is that one could think that a small bottle of La Chouffe or Duvel (0.3*8.5%) has about the same effect as a big bottle of regular lager or pils (0.5*5%)...  but the difference between having three Orval or Duvel vs having three large pils is something even inexperienced drinkers will notice (due to added sugars or whatever else it is that the monks are doing, those beers taste great though)... La Chouffe is something of a compromise I'd say, tastes almost as good, but there is a bit less variation from bottle to bottle, and a considerably smaller headache factor...

4 hours ago, Dub Modal said:

Love La Chouffe. Can't find it lately here on the East Coast but one of the best imported beers I've ever had. 

I know it's not from Belgium and I know it's not blonde, but if you like smooth Belgian beers "on the East Coast" (of the US I assume), you should try one of these:

Ex Novo Fresh Hop Mass Ascension | Total Wine & More

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...