what are you drinking right now?

14 hours ago, Matthew said:

Nickel & Nickel Suscol Ranch 2014 Merlot. One of those single vineyard wines, not too bad either.

BottleGlass_2014_M_SuscolRanch.jpg

While I do thoroughly enjoy many of Nickel & Nickel's offerings, I think their prices are too high for what they deliver. It's their business and they're free to run it as they see fit, but in my opinion, they're overpriced.

You want a less expensive "Nickel & Nickel" Cab, try their sister label, Bella Union. At $65/bottle, it's still expensive, but it's much cheaper than their single estate wines.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

23 hours ago, Kevin Bresnahan said:

While I do thoroughly enjoy many of Nickel & Nickel's offerings, I think their prices are too high for what they deliver. It's their business and they're free to run it as they see fit, but in my opinion, they're overpriced.

You want a less expensive "Nickel & Nickel" Cab, try their sister label, Bella Union. At $65/bottle, it's still expensive, but it's much cheaper than their single estate wines.

It was a nice merlot, the price was right (got it free), so I wasn't disappointed in it -- though I prefer Far Niente wines, (founded by the same couple Gil & Beth Nickel), their cabernets are especially good.

26 minutes ago, Matthew said:

It was a nice merlot, the price was right (got it free), so I wasn't disappointed in it -- though I prefer Far Niente wines, (founded by the same couple Gil & Beth Nickel), their cabernets are especially good.

My favorite Merlots from California are Shafer, Pride Mountain and A. Rafanelli, whose Merlot is only available at their winery in Sonoma. I like Rombauer's Merlot as well but it's over $40 these days, which is getting up there. Recently, I visited Sonoma & Napa wine country and became a wine club member at Lambert Bridge. Their Merlot was superb but it was also $65, so it really should be superb. :)

If you get a chance, go check out Lambert Bridge. Great wines. Their single estate Chardonnay was one of the best Chardonnays I've ever sipped.

On 4/26/2019 at 11:33 AM, Kevin Bresnahan said:

That'd be a first, if it was ours only.  I'm old enough to remember (late 1940s) when bubble gum was not available in Canada and we crossed the border to Niagara Falls NY to bring back a package to wow kids on the schoolyard.  To think I've lived long enough to have a wine exclusive to Ontario is gobsmacking! :D

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Michael Weiss said:

Had the pleasure of visiting Domaine Santa Duc in 1994 and was offered barrel samples courtesy of the Edmond Gras. His son wasn't happy about it.

Generation gap 😎 .... btw Santa Duc pruduces consistently excellent vine ....