Anthony Braxton and Roche Pharmaceuticals ?

deadcoldfish

p. 137 of Forces in Motion:

L: Why was the first In the Tradition LP dedicated to Roche Pharmaceuticals?

B: The makers of Valium. I lived on Valium for about five years, I was taking 100 milligrams a day.

L: Why?

B: Because...I was living in severe poverty, and...oh, every time I picked up a music journal, somebody was attacking me as if I'd done something personal to them. My life was very difficult, there was a lot of stress, and the Roche Pharmaceutical Company--because of their technology I would be able not to jump out of my skin.

actually, Betty Roche was a travelling saleswoman for that company, which she founded - that's how Duke met her, when he was suffering one of his frequent bouts of insomnia - see Chapter 6, Stanley Dance, the World of Duke Ellington -

Allen, this belongs to the What Are You Drinking Right Now thread :P

actually, Betty Roche was a travelling saleswoman for that company, which she founded - that's how Duke met her, when he was suffering one of his frequent bouts of insomnia - see Chapter 6, Stanley Dance, the World of Duke Ellington -

:lol::lol::lol:

This one killed me, Allen!

Roche is one of the big ones in pharmaceutical industry, based of course in my lovely country... rather sad, that Braxton episode - wouldn't want to have to live on valium for such a long time... not at all, in fact!

• 2 years later...

From people I know who have taken prescription Valium for short times for legitimate medical reasons, it seems almost unfathomable to me that anyone could take 100 mg a day over an extended period and still function at any sort of minimally productive level.

Apparently his nerves were really shot.

p. 137 of Forces in Motion:

L: Why was the first In the Tradition LP dedicated to Roche Pharmaceuticals?

B: The makers of Valium. I lived on Valium for about five years, I was taking 100 milligrams a day.

L: Why?

B: Because...I was living in severe poverty, and...oh, every time I picked up a music journal, somebody was attacking me as if I'd done something personal to them. My life was very difficult, there was a lot of stress, and the Roche Pharmaceutical Company--because of their technology I would be able not to jump out of my skin.

But is the use of 100 mg. of Valium per day (unless one somehow gets it for free or for next to that) compatible with "living in severe poverty"? Don't know myself, just wondering what Valium cost back then.