Stupid Question

Matthew

:blush::blush: Dumb question: How do I save music files to my hard drive? Example: I would love to save the Miles Davis concerts that appear on Darkfunk.com, but I can't figure out how. Some with Gratefull Dead downloads, I can stream all these but I can't figure out how to get them to my hard drive to save. :blush::blush: I know, hopeless..... Edited by Matthew

(assuming you're running windows...)

On the darkfunk site, try right clicking on each song title and then "save link as" -- this should bring up a dialog box that lets you specify where the file will be saved. For instance, the 1969-07-25 concert has seven tunes, you will need to save each song individually. There doesn't appear to be any way to save an entire concert in one shot.

After the songs are saved, you should be able to play them anytime by double clicking on the file names.

Also, it's possible to convert the saved MP3 files to .WAV files, which can be used to burn audio CDs. Let us know if you want to do that as well...

Hope this helps! :)

Thanks, that seems to be working. I'm saving it to My Muisc file. How do I do the wav. thingy, I'd love to have stuff on cd. Thanks a 1,000,000,000,00,!

You don't want to extract an MP3 to a wav file. MP3s are condensed and lossy formats that can't be saved by returning them to wav.

Your CD burner should recognize MP3 files and you can just burn them direct to disc.

Thanks, that seems to be working. I'm saving it to My Muisc file. How do I do the wav. thingy, I'd love to have stuff on cd. Thanks a 1,000,000,000,00,!

You don't want to extract an MP3 to a wav file. MP3s are condensed and lossy formats that can't be saved by returning them to wav.

Your CD burner should recognize MP3 files and you can just burn them direct to disc.

That looks easy to do, the My Music file has a button to click for that very thing. Two more questions, if people don't mind.

1. I keep reading there can be a loss of sound quality when you transfer to cd, something about a loss of numbers, any reason to be concerned about that?

2. Am I correct, to use an example, that I wanted to download the new Sonny Rollins cd off of his site, same procedures as all the above?

If you burn MP3 files directly to a CD, it won't play in audio CD players, unless the player specifically supports MP3.

My car and home CD players both do not support MP3, so the only way to play something that was originally in MP3 format on those players is to first convert MP3 to WAV, and then burn a "regular" audio CD.

Dan's correct that MP3s are condensed and lossy formats, but converting them to WAV does not result in any further audio degradation.

Downloading and saving stuff from Sonny Rollins site should be very similar.

If you burn MP3 files directly to a CD, it won't play in audio CD players, unless the player specifically supports MP3.

My car and home CD players both do not support MP3, so the only way to play something that was originally in MP3 format on those players is to first convert MP3 to WAV, and then burn a "regular" audio CD.

Dan's correct that MP3s are condensed and lossy formats, but converting them to WAV does not result in any further audio degradation.

I wasn't trying to say that converting to wav files would result in losing anything, I was really trying to say that it wouldn't make them less lossy.

I'm not certain about your point as far as MP3 files burning to CD. If you burn it as a "data" disc, you get an MP3 file, and these may not be recognized by some players. However, my program, Nero, burns MP3s as audio discs, and these are recognized by audio CD players. The program specifically says that mp3 and WMA files are converted to audio cd files in the burning process.

Bottom line, since Skid has suggested that you need to go ahead and convert to wav to burn a CD, if you download the free version of goldwave (goldwave.com), you can open an MP3, and then choose "Save As" to turn it into a wav file. But I would make sure about your burning program before you go to that trouble. If it is set to burn an audio file and it recognizes MP3s as valid, then you can bet that you are going to get a disc that will play on any CD player.

Edited by Dan Gould

Another question is people have the time. Do you eq your downloads? Use the RIAA EQ Curve? Or do you just fiddle around with the eq until it sounds good? I'm using "GoldWave."

I don't usually EQ anything, what I look for on downloads is to make sure that the levels are decent. I hate burning CDs off of shows with horrible low levels. In Goldwave, choose the entire song, then Effect -> Volume - > Maximize. Enter a number (I usually go with something around -.25, which is 97% of the max - you won't clip anything then) and see what it does. Do the same thing for each track.

BTW, don't forget to burn Disc At Once (no gaps between tracks) whenever you are burning a concert. That is, unless you like to have two seconds of silence inserted in the middle of applause. :)

• 4 weeks later...

A friend of ours is hunting a cd burner. I have a Denon, but I wouldn't recommend it to him as he's a complete registered and accredited Luddite. Do any of you folks know anything about the SONY RCD-W500 recorder. It seems simple enough for him to operate.

Comment??? Anybody recommend something else?

Thanks.

• 1 month later...

More stupid questions, this time about bit-torrents. It looks like I'm finally getting a download+upload on Dime-a-Dozen. Does it always take so long to download? Right now I'm doing about 10KBs? Do I need a program to convert from bit-torrent to MP3? Thanks for any help. :blush:

MP3 is a file format

BitTorrent is a file distribution network

Over BitTorrent, you can download and share MP3s, movies or whatever. No need to convert the files.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bittorrent

this isn't accurate, at least when it comes to Dime. You are most likely downloading FLAC files, which are not lossy like MP3s. You need a program like Flac Frontend (free) to conver FLAC files to burnable wav files. If I was converting to MP3s, I would use my Goldwave software to save those files to MP3 format, though I am sure someone knows of an easier way to convert them. couw?

Edit: I just realized that Goldwave handles FLAC files, so I wouldn't even have to use FLAC Frontend to convert to wav files first. I could open up the FLAC files and then save as MP3s.

Some Dime concerts are encoded to SHN files. Winamp will burn SHN files direct to CD, then an audio editor program should be able to extract those files to a format that can be turned into MP3.

As far as download rates, its partially dependent on whether you are broadband or not, but its also dependent on how many people are in the "swarm" downloading the particular concert. If there are only a few people, download rates can be pretty slow. I've also gotten into swarms where there were 80 seeders and two leechers, and I'd be getting things at 200 KBPS or more.

Edited by Dan Gould

My comment on BiTorrent was general. I was under the impression that Matthew meant he had to convert the files because they come from BitTorrent.

Well, clearly Matthew signed up now knowing what bit-torrent is, or what type of file is being downloaded.

Yeah, I knew, but it was only this morning, after two months of trying, that I finally was able to get the download/upload thing going. Lord, the things I do for Bob Dylan... :w

Edited by Matthew