Stupid Question

Matthew

Okay guys/gals be patient with me on this: I've downloaded bit-torrents from DAD, and for the past two days have been trying to get burn it to cd, I've tried all my programs, looked at faqs, no luck. Do I need a special program to get the torrents to cd? I know, I'm hopelss.

Okay guys/gals be patient with me on this: I've downloaded bit-torrents from DAD, and for the past two days have been trying to get burn it to cd, I've tried all my programs, looked at faqs, no luck. Do I need a special program to get the torrents to cd? I know, I'm hopelss.

Depends on the file type - that is, the compression format used to create the files you downloaded. What is the extension on the filenames you downloaded? (.flac, .shn, or what)?

Matthew, I responded to this earlier. If you're going to ask for help, you ought to take a look to see if its been offered.

You are most likely downloading FLAC files, which are not lossy like MP3s. You need a program like Flac Frontend (free) to conver FLAC files to burnable wav files. If I was converting to MP3s, I would use my Goldwave software to save those files to MP3 format, though I am sure someone knows of an easier way to convert them. couw?

Edit: I just realized that Goldwave handles FLAC files, so I wouldn't even have to use FLAC Frontend to convert to wav files first. I could open up the FLAC files and then save as MP3s.

Some Dime concerts are encoded to SHN files. Winamp will burn SHN files direct to CD, then an audio editor program should be able to extract those files to a format that can be turned into MP3.

I've been fooling around with the stuff you listed -- still no luck. Friday, when I have a free day, I'm going spend all day, I necessary, to figure this out. :crazy:

You have Flac Frontend?

Then

A. Open it.

B. Click Add Files

C. Choose all of the files from a concert (you can click on one Flac file at the top, hold the shift key and click on the bottom file and you will select all of them)

D. click "Decode"

When Flac Frontend is finished, you will have wav files in addition to Flac files.

Any CD burning program will recognize wav files. Be sure to burn "Disc at Once" so that the applause doesn't have two second gaps in between tracks.

If you have a concert that are "shn" files (you'll know this if Flac Frontend doesn't recognize the files):

Open Winamp

Click File ----> Add Media to Library

Choose all of the concert files

Make sure they end up in the correct track order (you can click and drag to move them)

Put a blank CD in your drive and click "burn".

I've been fooling around with the stuff you listed -- still no luck. Friday, when I have a free day, I'm going spend all day, I necessary, to figure this out. :crazy:

You have Flac Frontend?

Then

A. Open it.

B. Click Add Files

C. Choose all of the files from a concert (you can click on one Flac file at the top, hold the shift key and click on the bottom file and you will select all of them)

D. click "Decode"

When Flac Frontend is finished, you will have wav files in addition to Flac files.

Any CD burning program will recognize wav files. Be sure to burn "Disc at Once" so that the applause doesn't have two second gaps in between tracks.

If you have a concert that are "shn" files (you'll know this if Flac Frontend doesn't recognize the files):

Open Winamp

Make sure they end up in the correct track order (you can click and drag to move them)

Thanks Dan, I'll copy this and on Friday see if I can make magic happen. I have some Dylan & Bill Evans/Lee Kontiz to burn...

You have Flac Frontend?

Then

A. Open it.

B. Click Add Files

D. click "Decode"

Open Winamp

Thanks Dan, I'll copy this and on Friday see if I can make magic happen. I have some Dylan & Bill Evans/Lee Kontiz to burn...

Good luck, and sorry for the heavy handedness of my initial response. I guess you really don't know what you're doing. :o:P

You have Flac Frontend?

Then

A. Open it.

B. Click Add Files

D. click "Decode"

Open Winamp

Good luck, and sorry for the heavy handedness of my initial response. I guess you really don't know what you're doing. :o:P

I told you I was hopeless, and also...

I reserve the right to remain pig-headed, close-minded, stupid and unreasonable in these matters.

Wonder who said that.... :w

Thanks Dan, your last post got me over the top. Still not quite sure about everything, I think the problem is where I'm directing the file, when I finally got the files to the My Music files I was able to do everything. Going have to keep working on it. Thanks again. :tup

Thanks Dan, your last post got me over the top. Still not quite sure about everything, I think the problem is where I'm directing the file, when I finally got the files to the My Music files I was able to do everything. Going have to keep working on it. Thanks again. :tup

Glad it worked. I didn't talk about where the wav files would end up because in my setup, "output directory" defaults to the same location as "input directory".

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone know of a program I can download that will convert 24bit PCM files for Window Media Player?

Late PS: Don't bother answering. It took me a couple of hours to realize that I'm burning the information to a cd so I don't need to play it off my computer... Duh! :blush:

Edited by Matthew