When will the next RVG and Conn batches be announced?

Kyo

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OK since the barcodes are real it's safe to post them:

FEBRUARY 2007 (6 RVGs)

ICPN: 0094637421420 Lou Donaldson - Lush Life (7 tracks)

ICPN: 0094637421628 Kenny Drew - Undercurrent (6 tracks)

ICPN: 0094637421826 Johnny Griffin - Introducing (bonus tracks) (8 tracks)

ICPN: 0094637422021 Duke Pearson - The Right Touch (bonus track) (7 tracks)

ICPN: 0094637422229 Horace Silver - You Gotta Take A Little Love (7 tracks)

ICPN: 0094637422427 Stanley Turrentine - The Spoiler (bonus track) (7

tracks)

MARCH 2007 (6 RVGs)

ICPN: 0094637422625 Donald Byrd - The Cat Walk (6 tracks)

ICPN: 0094637422823 Dexter Gordon - Clubhouse (6 tracks)

ICPN: 0094637423028 Andrew Hill - Compulsion (4 tracks)

ICPN: 0094637423226 Thad Jones - Detroit-New York Junction (5 tracks)

ICPN: 0094637423424 Jackie McLean - New And Old Gospel (3 tracks)

ICPN: 0094637423721 Art Taylor - A.T.'s Delight (6 tracks)

Looking forward to the Johnny Griffin (bonus tracks!) and Duke Pearson.

I picked up The Spoiler recently(should of known it was going to be RVG'd) It is a good date. I do not have the Silver,Byrd or the Hill, of course, and will pick those up. The rest I have in some format. The Clubhouse is a nice Dexter and I agree with the comments about A. T.'s Delight.... Undercurrent is a must have!

Nice bunch I think.

Now when are they going to release Curtis Fuller Vol. 3? I figured it would be on it's way after all those Spanish releases. Seems many of those have been RVG'd....

Edited by Morganized

Speaking of RVGs: is it just my local Borders locations that have stopped stocking the new ones, or is it everywhere? The clerk I spoke to said the ordering is done centrally somewhere, and the last two batches never appeared at any of my 3 area Borders. That's got to bite into sales for BN.

Speaking of RVGs: is it just my local Borders locations that have stopped stocking the new ones, or is it everywhere? The clerk I spoke to said the ordering is done centrally somewhere, and the last two batches never appeared at any of my 3 area Borders. That's got to bite into sales for BN.

There are three Borders near here, and I don't think any of them stocked all of the RVGs, though one stocked a few and another stocked a few. The Borders around here has definitely been slimming down the jazz selection, although one of the three seems to have become a dumping ground for discs ordered long ago that were never sold, which is nice because when I browse through there I sometimes find interesting stuff.

There are three Borders near here, and I don't think any of them stocked all of the RVGs, though one stocked a few and another stocked a few. The Borders around here has definitely been slimming down the jazz selection, although one of the three seems to have become a dumping ground for discs ordered long ago that were never sold, which is nice because when I browse through there I sometimes find interesting stuff.

I was at my local Borders today in NYC, and I happened to look for Another Workout, which they did have in stock. Didn't look for the other recent releases.

my local Barnes and Noble has stopped carrying the new batches of RVG's entirely. Since like last year I have found nothing in the store I want

Yes! Same in Hudson Valley, NY

Barnes and Noble in Poughkeepsie, Kingston and Albany NY - NOTHING

Borders in Poughkeepsie - NOTHING; Albany and Danbury had one copy of each new RVG each, I think

Tower in Nanuet, NY - NOTHING (which sucks, because BN titles are 20% off right now)

FYE in Poughkeepsie and Kingston - NOTHING

Best Buy in Kingston and Poughkeepsie (who used to carry new RVGs up until about a year ago) - NOTHING

Man, I miss my New England days. I haven't been to Newbury Comics in TOO long. They were somewhat reliable for new BN reissues and new releases.

my local Barnes and Noble has stopped carrying the new batches of RVG's entirely. Since like last year I have found nothing in the store I want

Borders in Poughkeepsie - NOTHING; Albany and Danbury had one copy of each new RVG each, I think

Tower in Nanuet, NY - NOTHING (which sucks, because BN titles are 20% off right now)

Best Buy in Kingston and Poughkeepsie (who used to carry new RVGs up until about a year ago) - NOTHING

Man, I miss my New England days. I haven't been to Newbury Comics in TOO long. They were somewhat reliable for new BN reissues and new releases.

I live within two miles of Tower and Borders, never bother with them or any other brick and mortar stores. I do everything online. CD Universe has it at your door the day after it's released, and much less expensive than the brick and mortars. Or, if you can be patient, you can usually get them a few months later from yourmusic.com for $5.99 + free shipping.

I live in the Catskills, and never even try such chain stores. But Rhino Records in New Paltz (maybe there's a branch in Poughkeepsie, but I've never been), seems to be run by somewhat of a jazz fan, and occasionally stocks newish RVGs. Once in a while, interesting used discs show up, though their pricing can be off (eg, they tend to charge the "full used price" for old OJCs, even if newer K2s and/or RVGs have been released). But the flip side is the occasional OOP find (eg I got Ike Quebec's "Easy Living" there). They also have a lot of good titles on vinyl, but I can't speak for the prices, not being an LP collector. Not sure if it'd be worth the drive for you, but worth a stop if you happen to be in NP.

I live in the Catskills, and never even try such chain stores. But Rhino Records in New Paltz (maybe there's a branch in Poughkeepsie, but I've never been), seems to be run by somewhat of a jazz fan, and occasionally stocks newish RVGs. Once in a while, interesting used discs show up, though their pricing can be off (eg, they tend to charge the "full used price" for old OJCs, even if newer K2s and/or RVGs have been released). But the flip side is the occasional OOP find (eg I got Ike Quebec's "Easy Living" there). They also have a lot of good titles on vinyl, but I can't speak for the prices, not being an LP collector. Not sure if it'd be worth the drive for you, but worth a stop if you happen to be in NP.

Thanks! I'm quite familiar with Rhino, and I usually find excellent stuff there. They closed down the Albany Rhino about 10 years ago, and closed the Poughkeepsie location maybe 8 years ago? The New Paltz location is all that's left.

It's a shame. One can obtain just about any title on-line these days. Record store shopping offers threadbare stock and fewer and fewer surprises, which is something I miss quite a lot.

Thanks! I'm quite familiar with Rhino, and I usually find excellent stuff there. They closed down the Albany Rhino about 10 years ago, and closed the Poughkeepsie location maybe 8 years ago? The New Paltz location is all that's left.

It's a shame. One can obtain just about any title on-line these days. Record store shopping offers threadbare stock and fewer and fewer surprises, which is something I miss quite a lot.

Where the heck is the New Paltz Rhino store these days? I heard they moved out of the old location after many yrs. to a much smaller store. I wouldn't mind dropping in. It's been a very long time.

Where do you mean by "around here"? The Borders around the SF Bay Area have certainly been cutting down their jazz sections, but they were never that great to begin with.

• 1 month later...

With this most recent batch of RVG's (the September batch), this marked the first time the Fort Worth area Borders didn't carry them. They have also slimmed down their jazz racks as well. Sad.