When will the next RVG and Conn batches be announced?

Kyo

Speaking of RVGs: is it just my local Borders locations that have stopped stocking the new ones, or is it everywhere? The clerk I spoke to said the ordering is done centrally somewhere, and the last two batches never appeared at any of my 3 area Borders. That's got to bite into sales for BN.

With this most recent batch of RVG's (the September batch), this marked the first time the Fort Worth area Borders didn't carry them. They have also slimmed down their jazz racks as well. Sad.

The brick and mortars are crumbling here in King of Prussia (Philly suburb which is home of the shopping mall in the USA with the most stores - 420). Sam Goody is closed down. Tower Records drastically downsized and eliminated 75% of their jazz inventory a few years ago, and is now closing. I used to spend $1000 a year there, haven't spent $50 total there the last two years, since they eliminated both the deep inventory and the really good January/February sales. Two of the three FYE's are shut down. Borders is now the best game in town inventorywise, but is too pricey for my blood (and I avoid the mall, though I'm glad it pays my property taxes for me - I remind myself of that when I sit in mall traffic coming home from work at night, especially during the holiday season). The only indy brick and mortar in town closed about five years ago. Fifteen minutes away on the Main Line, Plastic Fantastic, the famous used store in Ardmore, closed down a few years ago. Borders in Rosemont drastically reduced their shelf space. Repo Records in Bryn Mawr, a funky used place which grossly underpriced a lot of good used CD's which weren't alternative rock, closed down in the last few months. None of this affects me much, as I've been doing almost everything online in recent years, but it's an interesting sign o' the times. Only the big box stores (Best Buy and Circuit City) seem to be holding on at this point here, and my understanding is that they actually run their CD departments at zero profit to draw people into their stores.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He's talking about how The Sermon and House Party contents were handled when they became RVGs. People sold the original reissues only to discover that some tunes didn't appear on the RVG and now they were out the discs.

In my case I bought the RVGs some time ago thinking they were (as usual) the way to go

only to discover that I missed out on half a dozen tracks that were only on the old CD editions.

Some people had been complaining that the old CDs had a different track listing/order than

the LPs and Cuscuna got so annoyed with them that he made the RVGs almost straight

copies of the LPs, leaving off most of the extra tracks that were added to the old CDs.

Tsk, tsk....thin skin indeed.

• 4 months later...