Connoisseur Wish List for 2007

bertrand

Reiner suggested we start a wish list for 2007 Connoisseurs.

Here's what we know so far:

Andrew Hill: Compulsion!!! (already scheduled) - edit: it's scheduled as an RVG

Louis Smith: Smithville with bonus tracks (already scheduled)

My requests:

Andrew Hill Change (3/7/66)

Larry Young: Contrasts

Larry Young: Heaven On Earth

Kenny Burrell: Freedom

Woody Shaw: Master Of The Art/Night Music (twofer) - originally on Elektra/Musician

I'll look through the discography this week-end and add more.

And, since Rooster wants to try a campaign for the trainwreck sessions, why not give it a shot - you only live once:

Tyrone Washington: Trainwreck session (date?) or Natural Essence with some tracks from the Trainwreck session as bonus tracks

Jackie McLean: rejected 7/5/68

Wayne Shorter: rejected 10/13/70

I don't believe MC has ever expressed an opinion about the McLean (but Jackie said he didn't like the drummer). Much has been said about the Shorter, but I think it's worth thinking about again.

Bertrand.

Edited by bertrand

• Replies 240
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Shorter won't happen. It's a session which never took off and Wayne (and MC) are agains issueing it. I believe we should respect the artist himself in this regard and leave it.

I would like to see the Kenny Cox twofer, Frank Foster (with bonus tracks from his other BN date), Bobbi Humphrey - Flute In (only Lee Morgan date not yet on cd).

Andrew Hill Change (3/7/66)

Kenny Burrell: Freedom

I agree, these two would be great to have on CD. I'll probably come up with more but one

"trainwreck" session I'd love to hear would be the Grant Green session with John Gilmore and

Duke Pearson. Also that one unissed Kenny Dorham session (forgot the details) sounds interesting.

After "Natural Essence" with hopefully most of "The Trainwreck" as bonus tracks (oh please, oh please, oh PLEASE!!!), my other priorities would include...

Both of the Kenny Cox dates (either a two-fer, or edit one of the tracks slightly -- and release both albums on on CD. Yeah, some will cry foul at any editing -- but I'd rather miss out on 60-90 seconds and get both dates issued on disc, than just release one of the dates -- only to have the other one never happen. Or, again, a two-fer.)

Larry Young's "Contrasts" (love the cover!! :tup )

The Hill date with Sam Rivers would be nice too ("Change").

And by the way, to correct the original post -- isn't "Compulsion!!!" coming out as an RVG?? - and not as a Conn. (Pretty sure that's what I read in the "Compulsion" thread.) If so, FYI.

Edited by Rooster_Ties

The Cox LP's will fit on 1 CD (that's what I meant with twofer i.e. 2 LP's on 1 CD).

This has been discussed before (I forget the details), and I think I remember that these two albums clock in at something like 81 minutes (maybe closer to 82). 80 minutes no longer appears to be the absolute upper limit for CD lengths, so perhaps these two can fit on one CD. But this is still somewhat an open question, I believe.

What 10" is there to issued besides the Urbie Green? There's nothing to combine it with so that's the problem with this session (free after MC).

An Urbie Green / Lou Mecca CD would pair two of the rarest 10'' records .

What else ? Well , the 10"s that were leased from Vogue aren't an option. There are the two volumes of Best From the West , but given the dismal sales of the West Coast Classics series I doubt such a CD would be greenlighted .

How about some Art Hodes? I don't think any Hodes have been issued aside from the Mosaic. Even the batch celebrating the 60 year anniversary did not include any Hodes.

And I'm sure that there are many Blue Note 10", Capitol, Liberty, and Pacific Jazz stuff they can issue as Conns.

Here are some random selections:

Bob Gordon, "Meet Mr. Gordon" (Pacific Jazz)

Jim Hall, "Good Friday Blues" (Pacific Jazz)

Jutta Hipp Quintet (Blue Note)

Hank Mobley Quartet (Blue Note)

Zoot Sims, "Choice" (Pacific Jazz)

Roy Haynes, "People" (Pacific Jazz)

V.A., "Best from the West" (Blue Note)