Connoisseur Wish List for 2007

bertrand

• Replies 240
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If I had to pick 6, it'd go sumthin like this...

1) The Complete Pacific Jazz Recordings - Gil Fuller

2) Silver 'n Brass/Silver 'n Wood - Horace Silver

3) Change - Andrew Hill

4) Contrasts - Larry Young

5) A New Conception - Sam Rivers

6) Natural Essence - Tyrone Washington

Also would be nice to see Chant (Donald Byrd) and High Frequency (Jackie McLean), but those are the 6 I think probably have the best chance.

specifically, what aspects of duke p's production are suspect? song selection, arrangements, what are the aspects we need to look out for whilst listening to one of his records....

yea i dont like wayne shorter anymore.

No one is going to answer this, chewy. Nor mine about which albums are the problem.

MG

For reference, this is a rough list of the BN albums produced by Duke Pearson. The list is probably not exhaustive and may contain some errors (it was compiled from the AMG, Google and a quick look at the back of my own records):

Duke Pearson 'Introducing Duke Pearson's Big Band' (1967)

Duke Pearson 'The Right Touch' (1967)

Kenny Cox 'Introducing Kenny Cox' (1968)

Frank Foster 'Manhattan Fever' (1968)

Herbie Hancock 'Speak Like a Child' (1968)

Bobby Hutcherson 'Patterns' (1968) w/Frank Wolff

Bobby Hutcherson 'Spiral' (1968)

Bobby Hutcherson 'Total Eclipse' (1968) w/Frank Wolff

Elvin Jones 'Puttin' It Together' (1968)

Elvin Jones 'The Ultimate' (1968)

Lee Morgan 'Taru' (1968) w/Frank Wolff

McCoy Tyner 'Expansions' (1968)

McCoy Tyner 'Time for Tyner' (1968)

Donald Byrd 'Fancy Free' (1969)

Donald Byrd 'Kofi' (1969)

Herbie Hancock 'The Prisoner' (1969)

Bobby Hutcherson 'Now' (1969)

Bobby Hutcherson 'Medina' (1969)

Duke Pearson 'How Insensitive' (1969)

Duke Pearson 'Merry Ole Soul' (1969)

Wayne Shorter 'Super Nova' (1969)

Stanley Turrentine 'Another Story' (1969)

Donald Byrd 'Electric Byrd' (1970)

Bobby Hutcherson/Harold Land 'San Francisco' (1970)

Hank Mobley 'Thinking of Home' (1970) - possibly produced by Francis Wolff

Wayne Shorter 'Moto Grosso Feio' (1970)

Wayne Shorter 'Odyssey of Iska' (1970)

McCoy Tyner 'Asante' (1970)

Edited by Daniel A

Randomly picking from a list (never heard any of the albums):

Harold Vick - Steppin' Out

Ike Quebec - Congo Lament

Sonny Redd - Out Of The Blue

Walter Davis Jr - Davis Cup

Freddie Redd - Shades of Redd (again?)

And yes please to Art Hodes and other early Blue Note albums.

I think all of the above apart from 'Congo Lament' have previously been out as Conns. They all need to be available again though. The Harold Vick in particular.

Not sure 'Congo Lament' has ever been on CD (I have an LP of it with the weird monkey-in-earmuffs jungle scene :crazy: ). Good music though !

Actually Congo Lament is partially issued on the excellent Bennie Green Mosaic Select (five tracks with Ike & Turrentine on tenor, with Green, Sonny Clark, Milt Hinton & Art Blakey). Cuscuna states in the liners that these sides and three quartet tracks were issued in 1985 as "Easy Living" on BST 84103. I would love to hear those quartet tracks also, described by MC as "among his (Quebec's) finest moments on tape".

I think all of the above apart from 'Congo Lament' have previously been out as Conns. They all need to be available again though. The Harold Vick in particular.

Not sure 'Congo Lament' has ever been on CD (I have an LP of it with the weird monkey-in-earmuffs jungle scene :crazy: ). Good music though !

Actually Congo Lament is partially issued on the excellent Bennie Green Mosaic Select (five tracks with Ike & Turrentine on tenor, with Green, Sonny Clark, Milt Hinton & Art Blakey). Cuscuna states in the liners that these sides and three quartet tracks were issued in 1985 as "Easy Living" on BST 84103. I would love to hear those quartet tracks also, described by MC as "among his (Quebec's) finest moments on tape".

One of the biggest surprises I have received by the members of this board occurred when no one here wanted a used CD copy of Easy Living that I had spotted in a shop I frequent. It was an excellent copy and I offered it to the members at what would be my cost....about $13 and that included postage. I have a copy and it is an excellent session IMHO. Other members confirmed this I believe.

That was a real surprise. Couldn't believe that bunch of folks here were not looking for that one..I just let it pass on. Figured everyone must have already had it.

Guess you never know.....It is a great session.

I have Easy Living on CD - 8 tracks. I don't know if BST 84103 ever was actually released. My CD shows a release date of 1987. Number on the "spine" is CDP 7 46846 2. BTW the music is all excellent.

Green really, really shined with strong tenors.

Then how about a nice reissue of "Born to Be Blue", his classic album with Ike? Nice sound, please a new cover with a good Wolff photo... but probably rather an RVG, so this is the wrong thread.

The Stanley T with Green (not that outstanding at all) could make a Conn some day, though... unless they do that as an RVG, too.

These are two instances where I am really wondering why they did reissues of some Conns or regular BNs (such as that Lee Morgan disc that came out twice in the last five years, both times in new remasterings), instead of delivering a nice reissue of "Born to Be Blue"!

I have Easy Living on CD - 8 tracks. I don't know if BST 84103 ever was actually released. My CD shows a release date of 1987. Number on the "spine" is CDP 7 46846 2. BTW the music is all excellent.

The LP did come out, in Britain at least. I bought a copy in 1988, but gave it away when I got the CD with the complete session the following year.

It's another that was supposed to be released back in the day, but never was. That mean that there should be some proper Reid Miles cover art lying around for it. I really dislike the colour scheme of the album (both LP & CD).

What's on the Bennie Green select is the whole of what was issued as "Congo chant" in the LT series.

MG

Green really, really shined with strong tenors.

You and Ubu are talking about different Greens. But it's still true that both Bennie and Grant worked very well with strong tenor players. Bennie's work with Jimmy Forrest, Jug, Ike, Griff, Eric Dixon and Stanley are among his best recordings.

MG

And Lateef's only BN appearance was with the (wrong) Green, too!

Sorry, I didn't realize the above meant Bennie...

time for the if you could only keep one Green (Jones, Davis, endless possibilities) in your collection which one would it be thread... (Grant Thad Lockjaw for me i suppose) :)

time for the if you could only keep one Green (Jones, Davis, endless possibilities) in your collection which one would it be thread... (Grant Thad Lockjaw for me i suppose) :)

:D

Grant, Boogaloo Joe, Lockjaw for me. (Just as well you didn''t mention Smith.)

MG

That's what Michael Cuscuna wrote in his commentary to the extended CD reissue of Grantstand - but he was mistaken: Brother Yusef also played on Art Blakey's The African Beat, recorded January 24, 1962, for Blue Note, released on LP 84097.

:D

Grant, Boogaloo Joe, Lockjaw for me. (Just as well you didn''t mention Smith.)

MG

Hm, I'd be hard-pressed to chose between Jabbo and Joe... ;)

The Green would be Freddie, I assume, Thad would be most likely, then it would be Miles, I guess...)

Mike, I think I have that Blakey somewhere (old CD version - was there ever a new one of this? I lost touch during the CCrap period, totally), wasn't aware Lateef was on it, it's been a long time since I played it.

I heard back from Cuscuna and he said it's too early for him to start deciding Connoisseur titles. There will likely be a couple more RVG issues before than and if that series grabs a title, it won't be in the Connoisseur series.

Anyway, going on titles that Michael & I have talked about before, I would be very surprised if the next batch of Conns excluded the Kenny Cox two-fer and the Frank Foster date. I know he listened to the unissued Foster session and found a lot of good material in it so I would imagine he'd put this out as a Conn. Michael's also a big Andrew Hill fan so "Change" makes sense too. We just have to wait a few more months to see how it shakes out.

BTW, Malcolm Addey remasters for Blue Note when they need the multi-track masters mixed to stereo. Apparently Malcolm is the guy for this. This is why he did "Passing Ships" and the Mosaic Select. They were never mixed to stereo. I don't think Blue Note re-mixes if a stereo master exists.

Later,

Kevin