Connoisseur Wish List for 2007

bertrand

• Replies 240
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know it's in the Moncur Mosaic, but I would like a single CD of Jackie McLean's Hipnosis.

As for the rejected Shorter session, I know all about the anecdote concerning Wayne's opinion of this, but it was 11 years ago. People in the music biz have been known to change their minds.

Bertrand.

Edited by bertrand

As for the rejected Shorter session, I know all about the anecdote concerning Wayne's opinion of this, but it was 11 years ago. People in the music biz have been known to change their minds.

Bertrand.

Does that mean I can still dream of the day that the Grant Green - Gene Harris date will be released? :excited::crazy:

Not sure 'Congo Lament' has ever been on CD (I have an LP of it with the weird monkey-in-earmuffs jungle scene :crazy: ). Good music though !

All tracks from Congo Lament were reissued on Ike Quebec's Easy Living (Blue Note CDP 7 46846-2). Three tracks appeared on the Japanese "Blue Note Works" CD version (Toshiba TOCJ-4103): "See See Rider", "Congo Lament", and "Que's Pill".

It's also on the Bennie Green Mosaic Select, I believe.

Correct.

i remember reading somewhere sometime that the Pacific Jazz Album of Lenny McBrowne and the Four Souls (hope i am not confusing anything) would not come out on cd for commercial considerations... :(

it's definitely on my wish list though i haven't heard it

You're not confusing anything, the title of McBrowne's Pacific Jazz album was indeed Lenny (or Lennie) McBrowne and the Four Souls. The title of his Riverside album was Eastern Lights.

Edited by J.A.W.

i remember reading somewhere sometime that the Pacific Jazz Album of Lenny McBrowne and the Four Souls (hope i am not confusing anything) would not come out on cd for commercial considerations... :(

You're not confusing anything, the title of McBrowne's Pacific Jazz album was indeed Lenny (or Lennie) McBrowne and the Four Souls. The title of his Riverside album was Eastern Lights.

In addition to McBrowne's Pacific Jazz album, I'd like to see another relatively unknown Pacific Jazz album reissued, Ron Jefferson's Love Lifted Me. Perhaps Mighty Quinn can be persuaded to release these albums. After all, they did reissue Pepper Adams' Pacific Jazz album Critics' Choice.

In addition to McBrowne's Pacific Jazz album, I'd like to see another relatively unknown Pacific Jazz album reissued, Ron Jefferson's Love Lifted Me. Perhaps Mighty Quinn can be persuaded to release these albums. After all, they did reissue Pepper Adams' Pacific Jazz album Critics' Choice.

There might be a couple of people here interested in that album - I used a cut on last month's BFT.

The Complete Gil Fuller Pacific Jazz Sessions

c464008n7nl.jpgpj10101.jpg

I e-mailed Cuscuna about this idea, and he replied that both sessions would fit onto one disc ... maybe even with bonus tracks?

I'm surprised that these Pacific Jazz sessions rarely get mentioned for reissue. They seem like prime candidates.

I have a PJ vinyl of that 'Lennie McBrowne and the Four Souls' album and it's never grabbed me - sounded a bit run-of-the-mill. Must check it out again.

I have a PJ vinyl of that 'Lennie McBrowne and the Four Souls' album and it's never grabbed me - sounded a bit run-of-the-mill. Must check it out again.

please report! i don't know their two albums but they have Don Sleet on them (and Daniel Jackson and this one also has a song written and arranged by Elmo Hope)

How about Donald Byrd 'The Creeper' (for folks who don't have the Mosaic). With Pepper Adams and Chick Corea. Well worth a reissue - last time out was on vinyl in the 'Rainbow' series.

Yes, that one too! "Chant" and "The Creeper" are the missing links in owning what comprised the Byrd/Adams Mosaic.

My half-dozen wish list would be:

1. The Complete Pacific Jazz Gil Fuller Sessions

2. Kenny Cox: Introducing - Multidirection

3. Jack Wilson: Song for My Daughter

4. Chico Hamilton: Trio (Pacific Jazz)

5. Sam Rivers: Dimensions and Extensions

6. Andrew Hill: Change

The last two, of course, were on Mosaics, but they're such great sessions that they demand being heard. I'm not as familiar with what's not out from Roulette, United Artists, Imperial, Liberty, or Colpix, etc. Would Blakey's "Golden Boy" be a good candidate for a Connoisseur? I wouldn't mind seeing a legit issue of Herb Geller's "Fire in the West" either.

There might be a couple of people here interested in that album.

Count me as one who is definitely interested. That tenor player really worked for me.

Jack Wilson: Song for My Daughter

I'm glad there are people here with brains who can help me to remember things like this. :tup

I'm not as familiar with what's not out from Roulette, United Artists, Imperial, Liberty, or Colpix, etc. Would Blakey's "Golden Boy" be a good candidate for a Connoisseur? I wouldn't mind seeing a legit issue of Herb Geller's "Fire in the West" either.

"Golden Boy" and "Fire In The West" would be great to see, in whatever series.

5. Sam Rivers: Dimensions and Extensions

The last two, of course, were on Mosaics, but they're such great sessions that they demand being heard.

The Rivers album has been on CD before (although it's hard to find these days).

I hope they reissue A New Conception (never released as an individual CD) first.

I'm glad there are people here with brains who can help me to remember things like this. :tup

Have either of you heard this album? I'm just asking because if you haven't, and are expecting some "typical" Jack Wilson fare, you might be disappointed. It's a good album, but it's a lot more "commercial" than Wilson's other work.

Have either of you heard this album? I'm just asking because if you haven't, and are expecting some "typical" Jack Wilson fare, you might be disappointed. It's a good album, but it's a lot more "commercial" than Wilson's other work.

That's certainly a shame. I'm a huge album of Wilson's other stuff (even the slightly 'groovier' sides).