Kenny Burrell/John Coltrane-best sounding version

Big Al

The best-sounding Kenny Burrell/John Coltrane CD is:  

36 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

When I upgraded from the OJC to the K2, I thought it was worth it.

Although I'm a SACD fan, I did not get the hi-rez version when it came out, because of my disappointing experience with many other Fantasy SACDs. I haven't heard it though.

Edited by Claude

I'm with Al on this - I don't have this one either.

So I will ask the question somewhat differently:

Of all the versions out there, is there anyone to stay AWAY from? I plan to buy the RVG unless I hear it has a problem, in which case I will get the K2 or the OJC if I can find 'em.

I plan on only buying ONE version in my lifetime.

Bertrand.

I haven't heard multiple versions of this one - either have the original OJC or have it on the Coltrane box if it's included there too - but having heard many other OJCs and K2s, and a handful of the SACDs and RVGs, I'd probably recommend the K2 unless you have an SACD player and can afford to spend more for the SACD. I'd probably narrow my choice down between the K2 and the RVG and leave the decision to personal preference.

Bertrand: some might say the only problem with the RVG is that Rudy remastered it! :lol:

Edited by RDK

Of all the versions out there, is there anyone to stay AWAY from? I plan to buy the RVG unless I hear it has a problem, in which case I will get the K2 or the OJC if I can find 'em.

I plan on only buying ONE version in my lifetime.

Precisely what I was trying to say! :tup

I only have this in the Coltrane box. If I saw it cheap, I'd buy the SACD because I DO like the sound of the Fantasy SACDs, quite a bit (and I have a nice SACD/DVD player, a tube-output modified Sony). I also like RVGs so if I saw a nice used RVG. . . well I'd be tempted to get that.

Will likely go with the RVG, since I've got a 30%-off coupon for Borders this weekend!

That sort of explains my "just buy one" advice. I have the OJC and think it's fine. From experience I'd guess the K2 probably sounds a bit better, the SACD might be good (not sure they are better than K2s) and the RVG is a big question mark for me. I'm staying with what I have and suggest buying the "best deal". Mastering differences seem to be personal, so just buy it. :)

Fine music making, and that was also part of my post.

Edited by Chuck Nessa