The Who

Tom 1960

I was and still am a huge of fan of there music. In there heyday, they were one ot the best touring bands going. With the death of Moon and Entwhistle a few yrs. back, I can't quite warm up to the idea of these guys trotting out just one more time for old times sake. Mixed emotions at best. I'll be more curious about the upcoming release than say the tour. Any thoughts out there? Should these guys give it up or do you feel it's still a worthwhile venture?

For awhile they had a web site that would show 3 live songs from the most recent show during their European tour. (They won't being doing this on the US tour as Daltrey nixed it.) Sometimes they were pretty respectable (not $250 a ticket mind you, but not terrible), other times it was awful. A clip of "My Generation" with Pino on bass will make you fully how crucial Entwistle was to the band if you didn't know it already.

Daltrey seems to strap on an acoustic more often, even on songs that he never used to do such as "Naked Eye." He also sometimes wears glasses, so it's a very different look from the nonstop microphone twirling. Townshend has taken to vocal improves on some songs, such as "Naked Eye" and "The Kids Are Alright" that I don't care for at all. A scat singer he's not.

I last saw The Who in '82 and they played "Tattoo" which was about as special of a moment one could have gotten in '82, so I let that be my final show. After all, it was the Farewell Tour. ;) But if someone feels compelled to see them and doesn't mind the prices that older bands charge go for it. They've been a band without Moon longer than they've been a band with him. And while I'm far too cheap to pay over $50 to see anyone (so I don't see many dinosaur shows) I don't begrudge the elderly bands that can get away...um, I mean charge that. I don't really expect them to give up music and take up a trade instead. ;)

I'm not optimistic about the new album. I've passed on picking up the "Wire & Glass" EP as an import, though I probably will make an effort to at least hear the new one when it comes out on Halloween. After all, while there hasn't been much out of him for the past 20 years or so, once upon a time Townshend was the most important artist in the world to me.

Once they lost Moon it was over. Without Entwistle it's even more of a disgrace. Hard to think of a single rock band where the rhythm section was more integral to the sound.

Led Zeppelin, Cream, King Crimson with Bruford, Yes with Bruford, ELP...Hendrix w/ Mitch Mitchell.

The Who have been on a downward spiral for three decades. "Who Are You" was a good album, but a several notches below their glory days. Losing Moon didn't help. Led Zeppelin knew they couldn't go on without Bonham; The Who have become a 70s rock answer to the Beach Boys. Even the Stones and Deep Purple occasionally come up with something new; The Who should just tour as a Townsend/Daltrey oldies act.

Once they lost Moon it was over. Without Entwistle it's even more of a disgrace. Hard to think of a single rock band where the rhythm section was more integral to the sound.

Led Zeppelin, Cream, King Crimson with Bruford, Yes with Bruford, ELP...Hendrix w/ Mitch Mitchell.

More integral, or just as?

just as.

just as.

We're cool then :cool:

dont even start w/ me here on the jazz board about bruford- alan white is 90 million times the drummer bruford will ever be and i even think alan should go back in the studio and overdub over brufords original drum parts. alan is the only drummer for yes

Them is fightin' words. <_<

You took the words right out of my keyboard.

Will Daltrey tour as "The Who" after Townsend kicks it, or vice versa? Give us a break.

Edited by BruceH

I saw the Who in 1974 while the group was still intact and also in 1987 after Moon's death. Frankly, the latter edition was not at the same level, while I can't imagine the group without Entwistle and his sardonic pieces.

Saw that later tour too - Boris the Spider was a highlight

I saw the Who in 1974 while the group was still intact and also in 1987 after Moon's death. Frankly, the latter edition was not at the same level, while I can't imagine the group without Entwistle and his sardonic pieces.

Saw that later tour too - Boris the Spider was a highlight

umm that was 1989 not 87 and I also saw their rendition of Tattoo. I saw the 96 Quadrophoenia tour and that was a lot of fun even if the Ox was generally buried in the mix. A Naked Eye encore was truly special. I saw the 2000 tour which was also generally good with some excellent quad material. I have mixed feelings about Rabbit on keys as I think he overplays a lot. Zak Starkey is the real deal and their best drummer after Keith. When the Ox died that was it for me as Pino was an uninspired replacement choice. I'm collecting as much of the Moon years as possible these days.

umm that was 1989 not 87

whoa, drug induced daze in year calculations perhaps.... was thinking second year of university, but was actually second year of high school. Concert was at the Pontiac Silverdome, September 30, 1982. It's Hard tour.

Actually, I was off by at least one year. I remembered where I was working at the time and was off by at least

a few months. So it was either 1988 or 1989 for my second time to see the Who. I just didn't have anything to

refer to for a suggested date.

You took the words right out of my keyboard.

Will Daltrey tour as "The Who" after Townsend kicks it, or vice versa? Give us a break.

The last man standing gets to tour as "A Who."