Herbie Hancok

king ubu

Ubu,

'Three Wishes', the bonus track from Donald Byrd's Free Form, is also by Herbie. I asked him about it a few years ago at the Monk Competition, and he did not even remember the tune!

About Swiss not being the same as German - I knew a woman from Switzerland who spoke English, French, and German, but none of them fluently; she had no mother tongue!

Bertrand.

Edited by bertrand

Any essential recommendations re. Headhunters? Don't have "Thrust" yet - is it as good as the first one?

It's better.

Guy

I totally concur. It's a shitload FONKier and the telepathy between Paul Jackson and Mike Clark is just...well, they invented that style so you make the call on that one!

I'd pick the version of "Maiden Voyage " from Bobby Hutcherson's Happenings album, which is as good as the original IMO.

I'm glad someone mentioned this. Herbie's work with Bobby Hutcherson is wonderful. I would suggest any of the tracks on "Oblique" as possibilities as well.

A truckload of good recommendations! Thanks a lot, guys!

reg: yep, that Morgan Standards album would be nice, and not too obvious.

Guy & Templejazz: I'll look out for Thrust as soon as possible.

bertrand: I thought about Free Forms, too. Have to relisten.

(and on language: I've got to defend us swiss a little bit - I am genuine swiss, by the way. Our mothertongue - we are only seven millions, of them foreigners, but we have four languages spoken here: german, french, italian and a fourth language which I don't know what it's called in english. Now speaking for the german two thirds of swiss people: swiss german IS german, it's a dialect, just as everybody in Germany speaks some dialect, and as in Germany (or Austria), we also learn what I called *proper* german (the formulaic language - actually a mix to accomodate the several very different german dialects: it's north-german but spoken with a southern accent). Now as with anyone from Germany, you can hear swiss origin when swiss people speak proper german. One problem over here is a sort of exaggerated modesty, which also leads swiss people to believe that they can't speak a proper german. Anyway... <_< )

catesta: I like those two albums a lot - but as I try to escape the rather obvious (no harm!)

kazak: cool, forgot about that one. Will relisten.

Shrdlu: don't have any of those you mention :(

vibes: I love the Hancock/Hutcherson stuff. Happenings is one of my very favorite albums by Hutcherson. And that beautiful cover...

thanks again to everybody

ubu

It will be in german - swiss german actually, which is not even proper german, so not even germans do understand it...

But yes, I think it will be available online. Will have to check if anyone's interested.

Part one is next sunday (aug.17), part two sunday aug.31. Part three sometimes in september.

ubu

There are many regions in Germany having a reputation that the local dialect is not "proper German" (whatever that is). And never again say that Germans do not understand it! I do, enough at least to follow your broadcast, so please post when it's going to be!!!! Remember: Jazz fans sind cheine durchschnittlichen Loiite, niirgendwoo!

Looking forward to it!

Ubu,

I did not mean to knock the Swiss in any way. Your comment about 'proper German' just reminded me of this one woman who spoke *no* language fluently. It's not that her French or German were regional dialects or anything - she just did not quite speak them right.

I have met many Swiss people who speak several languages fluently.

No hard feelings, I hope.

Bertrand.

mike (Michael, I presume :P ) and bertrand: no offense! (neither taken here, nor to be taken from my post. Just tried to avoid any unuseful misunderstandings.)

Back on topic: listended to some Herbie while having dinner tonight. Due to time constraints, I'll omit Feelin the Spirit and Cornbread. Though I love both sessions a lot.

But won't forget Mogie: that version of God Bless the Child (and Billie - if there is such a strange thing as God, that is ;) ) on the Standards album is terrific! :excited::excited::excited:

And Herbie seems to be the one who holds the music together (on the whole album, I think) and he - besides Shorter, who has some stellar solos as well - gives us some of the best moments of the date. Also check out his fills on If I Were a Carpenter. Fonky!

Then I also had a dose of Happenings (don't have Oblique - would be another fine Connoisseur reissue), and already decided to play that version of Maiden Voyage. When You Are Near is a perfect beauty, too! Maybe there will be enough time. An aside: Happenings always seemed to me one of Bob Cranshaw's strongest outings.

kazak: I sure forgot about the Blue Mitchell Mosaic. Yes, that's very fine music. Have to relisten.

Will give you the link to the show when it's up (will be next monday)

Thanks again everybody,

ubu

Just meant to improve Swiss/German relations .. ;)

I forgot about Sam Rivers' Contours which has some fine freestyle Herbie.

His versatility really should come through in your show. Don't forget the CTI's in the second or third part.

The Box indeed does not cover anything from the late 1950's.

If you don't have Oblique, which really is a great choice, I could help you out ... send me a pm. (but I'm out of town for a workshop I co-lead all of next week).

A bunch of Herbie´s 60s recording as a sideman (apart from Miles´) where you can pick many, many good themes:

-Hub-tones (Hubbard, Freddie) Blue note 1962

-No room for squares (Mobley, Hank) Blue Note 1963

-The Illinois concert (Dolphy, Eric) Blue Note 1963

-Some other stuff (Moncur III, Gracham) Blue Note 1964

-Speak no evil (Shorter, Wayne) Blue note 1964

-Up with Donald Byrd (Byrd, Donald) Verve 1964

-The complete Blue Note sessions vol.1 (Rivers, Sam) Blue Note 1964 (64-67)

-Adam´s apple (Shorter, Wayne) Blue note 1966

Edited by EKE BBB

many more good suggestions! gotta stop now, coz otherwise it will need like 15 or 20 shows... :D

Also thought about Moncur's Some Other Stuff yesterday. Truly outstanding album, in my opinion.

Search for the New Land - hellyeah! I love that album. Maybe it's my favorite Lee Morgan date, but how to fit those 20 minutes in a 60 minute show (which has time for 45-50 minutes of music) ?

EKE: thanks for your suggestions. Yesterday I listened to quite some of those on your list. All good or great of course. don't have the Bird Verve album - was that the one attached to the Grant Green Majesty King Funk CD? Will have to look for that.

(I emailed my friend in Madrid, by the way!)

mikeweil: duly taken note -_- . Don't have any CTI album with/by Herbie - are they available in nice Legacy reissues? Will have to look.

About Rivers I forgot completely. But as I have made some choices, it won't fit in anymore. Because what I'll want to spin to give an idea of the adventurous music Herbie was playing, is some track from Tony Williams' Life Time (the trio track with Hutch-Herbie-Tony). Then I'll give them Watermelon (alt - coz I love that Dexter solo on that one!), something from Inventions & Dimensions (which I absolutely love!), then the Happenings take on Maiden Voyage, and some more... Can't tell everything, otherwise our german friends won't listen B)

thanks again everybody,

ubu

EKE: thanks for your suggestions. Yesterday I listened to quite some of those on your list. All good or great of course. don't have the Bird Verve album - was that the one attached to the Grant Green Majesty King Funk CD? Will have to look for that.

(I emailed my friend in Madrid, by the way!)

re Donald Byrd: yes, it is that one paired with Grant Green´s

Hope your friend will find many RVG at 9€ in Madrid Rock