Valerie Wilmer on John Gilmore in THE WIRE

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It was probably an IU number (the 856 prefix)... you never know around these parts--it may have been picked up by a Sun Ra fan/office worker. Or, quite possibly, by a mystified university bureaucrat. ("John Gilmore: a Quiet Screamer From Mississippi"??)

I skimmed through it and it will be very useful for the show--thanks again, Chuck. It's the longest piece on Gilmore that I've come across, and it looks like Swzed drew on it for his Ra book. I'm going to the School of Music library later today to check on a December '73 Downbeat article.

Does anybody have a copy of Valerie Wilmer's piece on John Gilmore in the July 1985 Wire (issue #17)? And if so, is it possible to scan or somehow post it here? Unfortunately, the IU School of Music library doesn't appear to carry that periodical, and I don't believe it's been anthologized anywhere.

Ah! The good old days when WIRE covered jazz.

Gilmore does allude to Coltrane's supposedly having come to see Sun Ra shortly before his death, expressing problems with a lack of inspiration. Sun Ra suggested that JC come play & record with the Arkestra, and, according to Gilmore, JC agreed and also said he'd donate some money to the group as well:

"But," says Gilmore, "he went right out and donated the money to Olatunji instead and he never did come to rehearsal. And he died about a week or two later."

Later on Gilmore says, "(Trane's) whole history could have been changed if he had done what he said he was going to do. Coming over to Sun Ra would have energised him to the point where he could have recuperated from whatever ailment he had."

Guest youmustbe

Doubt it!

I saw John shortly after that article in Philly. He looked great, hip suit, jewelry.

A lot of talk how he inspired Trane...I don't about that, but I consider John to have been one of the great thematic improvisers in Jazz. His soloing on the Hubbard Impulse record is equal to Rollins. Just stunning.

Clifford--Mr. Nessa was able to send me a copy. Many thanks, Chuck.

any chance you could post it here?

Well...There's a whole thing to do with copyright. I know Val got pretty peeved with the online Ayler biog because it used great chunks of her stuff (also without attribution). So, it's probably best to leave it.

I mean if you do all that work...

Simon Weil

• 4 weeks later...

Jordi Pujol has Birdland broadcasts of Gilmore in Philly Joe's band.

Wow, I didn't know recordings of that band existed! I'm a big Gilmore fan and have tracked down all (not very many) of the releases with him outside of the Arkestra. Is there any chance that Mr. Pujol would release these recordings? Also looking for a copy of the Halfnote broadcast when Gilmore was with Blakey. Anyone know of any others? I wish that Blue Note would release that Grant Green studio session with Gilmore, perhaps added on to a reissue or something.

Also wondering if there exists any complete footage of Gilmore playing in Mingus' band that appeared in the "Mingus 1968" film.

Wow, I didn't know recordings of that band existed! I'm a big Gilmore fan and have tracked down all (not very many) of the releases with him outside of the Arkestra. Is there any chance that Mr. Pujol would release these recordings? Also looking for a copy of the Halfnote broadcast when Gilmore was with Blakey. Anyone know of any others? I wish that Blue Note would release that Grant Green studio session with Gilmore, perhaps added on to a reissue or something.

Also wondering if there exists any complete footage of Gilmore playing in Mingus' band that appeared in the "Mingus 1968" film.

There's video of Gilmore with Art Blakey (Jazz 625 show) with Lee Morgan, John Hicks and Victor Sproles.

There's video of Gilmore with Art Blakey (Jazz 625 show) with Lee Morgan, John Hicks and Victor Sproles.

Yeah, that's some great footage! I've got the laserdisc. What a band! It's too bad this band didn't go into the studio again after the tour. (maybe they did?) That's not to say I didn't enjoy S'Make It :)

Gilmore's playing, sound, and concept really has a way of propelling the music forward. He took a different road, that's for sure. In addition, everyone (who I've had a chance to speak with) who knew him has had nothing but praise for the man. I got a chance to speak with some legends at various times like Art Davis, Joe Chambers, Reggie Workman, and Junior Mance (who knew him from way back in the Chicago days), and they have nothing but great things to say about him, his playing, and his reputation among all the players "in the know". In fact, both Art Davis and Reggie Workman talked about how Coltrane held John in the highest regard.

Hey, does anyone have any contact info for Michael Cuscuna or Jordi Pujol?

Guest youmustbe

Theres' France 65 video which I have and is better 'hotter' than London.

I didn't know of broadcast from Half Note but I have the Raymond Ross photos.

Pujol can't release the Birdland tape I forget why.

John playing is dare I say, 'Monkish', in that he took fragements and built them up into a whole...whether on chords, or modes, or 'free'.

Theres' France 65 video which I have and is better 'hotter' than London.

I didn't know of broadcast from Half Note but I have the Raymond Ross photos.

Pujol can't release the Birdland tape I forget why.

John playing is dare I say, 'Monkish', in that he took fragements and built them up into a whole...whether on chords, or modes, or 'free'.

A France '65 video? Wow, I'd love to work out a trade or something for a copy of that one.

Yeah, in '65 when those broadcasts were being done from the Halfnote hosted by Alan Grant, the Jazz Messengers w/ Gilmore performed but curiously Lee Morgan was not able to make the gig due to illness (as reported by Alan Grant during the broadcast). I believe it's Gary Bartz sitting in on Alto. Once I spoke with a fellow who had actually heard it years ago but he couldn't seem to recall who had played it for him. Are the Raymond Ross photos of this band?

The 'Monkish' observation of his playing seems to be right on the mark. He was apparently influenced by piano players (ie: Sun Ra, Monk) and even studied early on with Chicago guitarist George Eskridge. You know, I'd even dare to say that Lee Morgan picked up on this 'frag-rhythmic' concept of playing, or at least brought it out more than usual, when Gilmore was in the band.

Gary Bartz was in to replace Lee. Photos of everyone in band.

I have Paris tape INA footage on Beta, don't have machine anymore.

Wow, I'd love to have that Beta tape transfered. Any places near you that could do it? I'd be willing to do it myself if you wouldn't mind loaning out the tape. I'd cover the Fedex cost too.

I'd also love to see those photos as well. Do you have them in a digital format at all?