And the AOW Chairman for Aug 24-30 is...

Joe Christmas

OK, decided sooner than I thought. West Coast? Allright ...

The Album of the Week for August 24th-30th is:

criss_sonny_sonnysdre_101b.jpg

Available here. Yanow Says (which is a variant of Simon Says):

For Sonny Criss this was an unusual date. The altoist is backed for the set by a nonet arranged by the great Los Angeles-legend Horace Tapscott. The arrangements are challenging but complementary to Criss's style and he is top form on the six Tapscott originals. The CD reissue includes two additional alternate takes and is highly recommended for both Criss's playing and Tapscott's writing.

As he's posted in this preview thread, I thought I'd list the AOW Chairman for August 31st - September 6th. The nominated member is ... Joe Milazzo. (Applause!)

Ghost, does that autobiography list the musicians that Tapscott intended for this session? Though I've heard that Tapscott was infuriated when Don Schlitten had already hired musicians for the gig, I can't say that Schlitten didn't make good choices. Who would have thought that Conte Candoli and (even) Tommy Flanagan would mold their own aesthetic so fittingly to Tapscott's music?

At any rate, it would be interesting to see who Tapscott personally had lined up. If I remember correctly, only the drummer was Tapscott's choice.

Now — must ... catch up ... on back-logged AOW's ... :rhappy:

WAIT a second here!!! How is it that a "coming soon" thread is running laps around my own AOW thread? Maaaaaaaan..... :g :g :g

Seriously though, I can't wait to see what Joe has in mind (and if I'm not mistaken, I believe this means that the entire Texas contingency of Organissimo has been properly represented in the AOW!).

Edited by Big Al

Great choice - one of my all-time faves ! :excited:

I seem to recall reading that drummer Everett Brown was the only musician in the original Tapscott lineup that did the recording. Having said that, I'm suprised that Al McKibbon and Ray Draper were not automatic choices but I guess they were not part of the Arkestra.

Interesting time this for Ray Draper. Within a couple of years of this recording he was temporarily resident with his wife in London, having left LA. From the tone of an interview he did for 'Jazz Monthly' around 1970 the LA scene of the late 60s must have gone into near free-fall.

Edited by sidewinder

• 14 years later...