Elvin Jones and Gerry Mulligan CJB in "Running Low"!

Ron S

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Mulligan is definitely one of Mosaic's best, an essential purchase IMHO. To sell out 7500 copies in less than 3 years must be a record for Mosaic (released in 2003). Get it now! :tup

Well, that number includes that european versions, that's why I think those will be around longer than the Mosaic version. Mosaic hasn't sold 7500 sets, but only their share of sets.

Edited by Claude

Both are great sets. The Mulligan was remastered by Malcolm Addey — the sound is tremendous. The first disc alone is worth the price of admission.

I'm a little surprised at the enthusiasm for the Jones set. I love it, but only a few years ago it seemed that this Mosaic was receiving fairly lukewarm to cold reviews on this board. I'm glad to see the change of heart! This set has some monster tenor playing on it. I don't play it enough.

I was quite surprised to see this, as some sets hang around forever and just time out, but these two really must be selling. It will be interesting to see what happens if there are still EU sets of the Mulligan floating around.

Is it possible that the license to sell these are going to expire and that they haven't actually sold as many as we think?

I was quite surprised to see this, as some sets hang around forever and just time out, but these two really must be selling. It will be interesting to see what happens if there are still EU sets of the Mulligan floating around.

Is it possible that the license to sell these are going to expire and that they haven't actually sold as many as we think?

It's definitely possible that that is the case for the Elvin.

Another thing I love about the Elvin set... is IMHO there is not a weak disc or set in the entire thing.... Often with a 6-8 (or more) box set... there's always a few "throwaway sessions." (The Sarah Vaughn comes to mind as an example...) But I have to say this is in my top 3 Mosaics.... Just excellent all around...

Another thing I love about the Elvin set... is IMHO there is not a weak disc or set in the entire thing.... Often with a 6-8 (or more) box set... there's always a few "throwaway sessions." (The Sarah Vaughn comes to mind as an example...) But I have to say this is in my top 3 Mosaics.... Just excellent all around...

Couldn't have said it better myself!!! :tup:tup:tup

A couple of the final sessions (chronologically) from the box set strike me as a bit sub par, sounding a bit like they were trying too hard to ride the fusion wave. But those comprise maybe one and a half discs worth of material at most. There's still at least a good six discs worth of stellar stuff here IMO, and this set shouldn't be missed.

I hoped off the fence and ordered the Elvin set. I have all of this stuff already on Lp and cd but it's nice to have it all in one place. If nothing else, I'll keep it sealed for investment purposes. Who would have thought that count basie and Maynard OOP cd Mosaic sets could bring prices north of $75 PER DISC :wacko: