Elvin Jones and Gerry Mulligan CJB in "Running Low"!

Ron S

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great to hear that so many of you are buying the Elvin Jones set before it disappears.

I managed to obtain a copy on ebay a few years ago but without a box or booklet so I've been trying to get Mosaic to sell me them since then. However, I keep being told that they won't sell until the set has gone out of print, so the quicker that happens the quicker I'll get my box and booklet.

BTW I agree with tranemonk, this is terrific set with no weak CDs. I was very surprised with the quality of all the sessions and it's a great mystery that hardly any of the CDs have been released individually.

Edited by Head Man

Great to hear that so many of you are buying the Elvin Jones set before it disappears.

BTW I agree with tranemonk, this is terrific set with no weak CDs. I was very surprised with the quality of all the sessions and it's a great mystery that hardly any of the CDs have been released individually.

I just got my notice saying Bix/Tram/Tea & Stitt are shipping. And then today 33 discs from Concord arrived (thank ya Jackson!) So I'm going to let these slide on by and hope that as with the Byrd/Adams & Blue Mitchell Blue Note sets (which I own), that some of the Elvin Jones sets will be RVG'd.

I own a mini-lp disc of the Mulligan Village Vanguard set and while I don't dislike it, I have yet to get very enthused about it. I've played about 1/2 a dozen times over the past couple of years and I'm still stunningly neutral about it. The Mosaic is a cheap set (I've become warped about box set prices since hanging here :lol:) and I am a member of the Malcom Addey Fan Club, but I dunno know... Are the other sessions considered to be better than the Village Vanguard set, or is that I'm just not wired properly to appreciate it? (The 2nd part is more a rhetorical question btw. :P )

I'm kind of in the same situation as Quincy regarding the Mulligan, I have the V.V. date and I like it but don't really love it, so is it fairly representitive of the rest of this set?

Also have Elvin's "At This Point In Time", again, it doesn't really blow me away, but I am very curious to hear the sessions with Joe Farrell but don't really want to buy the whole set just to hear them.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm kind of in the same situation as Quincy regarding the Mulligan, I have the V.V. date and I like it but don't really love it, so is it fairly representitive of the rest of this set?

Also have Elvin's "At This Point In Time", again, it doesn't really blow me away, but I am very curious to hear the sessions with Joe Farrell but don't really want to buy the whole set just to hear them.

I would say yes, the Vanguard date is pretty representative of the whole set, the set is pretty consistent in that manner.

The material with Farrell on the Jones. . . most of it has been availalbe on separate cds, and who knows, that is the material I think would be most likely to be reissued in the future. . . .

I say this as someone who hestitated over the Elvin set, but who has become a true believer and one of its biggest boosters. I cannot speak highly enough about the WHOLE set. The dates with Farrell are excellent, but so is 98% of the rest. It is the one Mosaic set I own which greatly EXCEEDED my expectations. And there is something about putting all the sessions together in one set which makes each indivdual session shine more brightly. :tup:tup

thanks for not making us out to be a bunch of liars/exaggerators.... :D:D (Nice to know your'e digging the set...)

I say this as someone who hestitated over the Elvin set, but who has become a true believer and one of its biggest boosters. I cannot speak highly enough about the WHOLE set. The dates with Farrell are excellent, but so is 98% of the rest. It is the one Mosaic set I own which greatly EXCEEDED my expectations. And there is something about putting all the sessions together in one set which makes each indivdual session shine more brightly. :tup:tup

For me as a percussionist, it was fascinating how Elvin integrated percussionists into his group, starting with one and ending up with a whole bunch. Maybe this is too much for a non-percussionist, but it stands out among the efforts of its kind. It is also interesting to compare these to Art Blakey's Orgy in Rhythm etc. - drummers' meetings, but with Elvin they were really part of the band. I'm glad I'll get one at last - got my order and shipping confirmation today - I didn't have the money at the time it was issued but had sold my LPs to raise some funds which then went elsewhere .....

• 2 weeks later...

Just received the Gerry Mulligan CJB in the mail yesterday and I'm quite happy with it. I'd been thinking about getting it for a long time, but the "Running Low" notice finally motivated me.

So..... should I take the plunge on the Elvin Jones set? Is it worth it? Friends? Romans? Fellow jazz listeners? What say you?

Just received the Gerry Mulligan CJB in the mail yesterday and I'm quite happy with it. I'd been thinking about getting it for a long time, but the "Running Low" notice finally motivated me.

So..... should I take the plunge on the Elvin Jones set? Is it worth it? Friends? Romans? Fellow jazz listeners? What say you?

Get it. If you turn out not to like it, then sell it here for what you paid for it (or sell it on eBay in a couple years and score $50 to $100 in the process). Pretty low-risk purchase, if you ask me.

For some reason I'd never really considered this set at all, not on the radar so to speak, I saw Jan Hammer's name too often and could only think of Miami Vice, ugh... ....

However having had a sudden change of heart I'm more than impressed. Only listened to discs 1/5/6 so far. It's highly varied stylistically but fits very nicely together. I'm very glad I got it.