Elvin Jones and Gerry Mulligan CJB in "Running Low"!

Ron S

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well hell, I don't really "need" the CLB set, I mean, I know what it is, I know what it's gonna sound like, and I know I'm gonna "like" it just fine, but I really don't have a need to explore this music beyond what I already know of it, not now, and probably not later.

But $68.00? Hell, that's a good price for some good recreational listening, so I went on ahead & bit.

I'm quite the sucker!

I hope you too checked the Sweden Post option!

I can only assume that this 'European Integration' thing has come full circle and SW England is now classed as part of Scandinavia.

:lol:

Edited by sidewinder

This set is the total package -- great music, outstanding mastering, very nice booklet by Bill Kirchner (love the pictures of Mulligan and his son). Into big-band music at all, you need to get this set. If it means anything, my set is #4867. Who does those funky 8's anyway??? :blink:

Went through the CJB set last night and was a little suprised at how "corny" some of it was. Not corny in a bad way, though. "Hip corny", if that makes any sense. "Retro-modern", if you like. Shouldn't have been surprised, that type of corniness comes with Mulligan, it's OEM, but I was anyway, probably because it's been so long since I listened with any duration or intent to this type of music. The distance set off what I had probably in the past been too close to notice.

Good set. Glad I bought it. Makes me realize I'm not as old as I used to be. ;)

Still listening to the CJB set. This is good stuff, "corniness" and all. The band had spirit. And Gene Allen on bari is the non-soloing hero of the band, I think, outside of the rhythm section. Ok, Nick Travis on lead trumpet too. Aw hell, Gene Quill on lead alto while we're at it. But that's your tops and your bottom, and that's where the ensemble flayva builds from.

Big bands don't play like this any more. Long story, to be sure, but...

Edited by JSngry

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

I went into the computer lab at school to print out the Chu Berry discography off of the website (I like to make notes on a printed one instead of the book) when I noticed that the Mulligan was on the site. I called them on my cell and they said they found five of them, so I ordered one for a friend to celebrate finishing his PHD this Spring.