The single artist you listen to most

Soul Stream

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Changes for me from year to year. I went through a HUGE phase about a year or two after I first got into jazz, where at least half of what I listened to was Miles. Then - about 4 years later - I moved away from Miles almost completely, and got interested in other things. (And I'm only not getting back into Miles, now that all the box sets are coming out, one by one.)

Any more, I seem to be getting really interested in a particular time-frame, and I'll explore that area with wild abandon. Lately it's been 1965-1972, but about a year ago I was really big into 1956-1962. A couple years before that it was about 1963-1968.

Had a big "Sun Ra" phase several years ago too.

But overall, I don't seem to have any one particular artist that really dominates over all the rest.

It definitely goes in phases for me. Over my entire listening history, I can't even pick out one that I know I've spent more time listenting to than others. Dexter would be up there for me, Miles, Chet, Sarah, Kenny Burrell... Jobim, and Joao Gilberto.

My latest jazz fascination has been pianists, and I've been focusing a lot on Eddie Higgins and Bill Charlap.

It definitely goes in phases for me.  Over my entire listening history, I can't even pick out one that I know I've spent more time listenting to than others.  Dexter would be up there for me, Miles, Chet, Sarah, Kenny Burrell... Jobim, and Joao Gilberto.

My latest jazz fascination has been pianists, and I've been focusing a lot on Eddie Higgins and Bill Charlap.

It goes in phases for me, too.

In the years just before I switched from LPs to CDs, Tommy Flanagan, Dave McKenna, Mel Torme.

More recently, Basie especially the '70s small groups on Pablo,. Martin Taylor, Bill Charlap, Kenny Barron (although I have only a few CDs where he is the leader, I keep coming back to those).

I go thru pahses myself. There was one point in time where I listneed to nothing but Zappa, 2 years of that and enough is enough!! Then it was Phish for a year or so...collected a ton of bootlegs!! After that it's a mishmash, I'll listen to nothing but a certain thing for a whole day, the other day I listened to Rush all day, I just got the Herbie Blue Note box and listened to that all day and once not long ago I listened to Dylan for two days straight.

Over the last 10 years or so I've logged many hours buried in the music of Peter Hammill. He's kind of obscure, but he writes the kind of lyrics that beg for deeper examination, so I'd probably say that I listen to him more than any one particualr person or artist...after that Zappa and then probably Coltrane!

Miles, Monk, and Satch are pretty constant. Like most everyone else I go through phases as well, often linked to what I am reading. I went through a big Prez phase while I was reading his bio. More recently I have been listening to Art Pepper after reading Straight Life.

I also find that discussions here will spur me to go back to the shelves to listen to artists I haven't put on in a while.

Lately, it's been 311. I go through phases, and those phases rarely last more than a few weeks. In the past, it's been:

John Patton

Larry Young

Sam Rivers

Andrew Hill

Wayne Shorter

Miles Davis

Jackie McLean

...and many others

Overall, Bobby Hutcherson is probably the one jazz artist I've listened to the most over the years. It's easy with Hutch - he's played in so many different groups and contexts that it's hard to get bored listening to him. :tup