The single artist you listen to most

Soul Stream

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It changes all the time. When I get interested in somebody's music, I buy lots of it and have it spinnin' all the time. I used to go through months of daily listening to Horace Silver, 1960's Coltrane, Wes Montgomery, Cal Tjader, Mongo Santamaria, Herbie Hancock, Wayne Shorter, McCoy Tyner, Duke Ellington, Fletcher Henderson, Lucky Thompson, John Lewis and the MJQ, Lester Young, Hank Mobley, Tina Brooks, Bud Powell, Grant Green, Larry Young, Billie Holiday, Jane Ira Bloom, Thelonious Monk, Dexter Gordon, Charles Mingus, Charlie Parker ... it even was a time period once: 1940's, or it was vocalists one time.

The ones I played and still play most frequently are Monk, Duke, Prez, Wes and Tjader.

my initial listening habits are similar to Roosters - i got into jazz by listening to Miles & then titles by the various sidemen that worked with him.

Overall i think ive listened to more Miles than anybody(i certainly have a lot more of his recordings than any other artist in my collection - but maybe because of the variety of different styles in his back catolgue it makes it easier to keep dipping into) but lately its been more Trane & Monk .

Edited by Gary

for the past 5 or so years and currently, definitely, without question: j3.jpg the most detailed listening I've ever done being a non musician. And then wol02.jpg

also Miles, Hank, Wayne, and anybody who's been a sideman on those albums. A lot of the recurring names in my collection are due to their apperances as sidemen.

pretty much as I'm collecting an artist I go through phases but with the guys I really love there is usually several albums that remain in constant rotation.

Edited by CJ Shearn

I go through phases - especially after making new discoveries - but I always come back to Duke, Monk, and Mingus.

I've bought a lot of discs lately (various CD and LP sales and all that) so I haven't been "repeating" artists a whole lot lately, but for a while I was immersing myself in those cheap Z-boxes of Art Pepper, Bill Evans, and Sonny Rollins.

Then there's those Blue Note periods - usually after a new batch of RVGs or Conns come out - where I'll listen to nothing but BNs for weeks on end...

Over the last 10 years or so I've logged many hours buried in the music of Peter Hammill. He's kind of obscure, but he writes the kind of lyrics that beg for deeper examination, so I'd probably say that I listen to him more than any one particualr person or artist...after that Zappa and then probably Coltrane!

Some good stuff. I'll have to pull out some VDGG...

For casual listening, it has to be Nat King Cole more than anyone else; his trio sides, piano combo sides, Basie and Billy May big band-ish sides, gummy Nelson Riddle pop ballad sides and beyond--he recorded tons, and I love it all.

As far as REALLY close listening goes, I'd have to say Miles.

Jazz: in order of appearence: Coltrane, Miles, Ornette, Monk, Bird, Mingus.

with upcoming appearences by: Dolphy, Kirk & Blakey.

Rock: what I've never gotten rid of: The Beatles, The Who, Husker Du, Guided By Voices, The Ramones, Syd Barrett (solo & with Pink Floyd).

Honorable mention: The Rolling Stones, Kiss (original make-up years), Sonic Youth.

I very much go through phases, more like binges, actually. Duke, Prez, Mobley, Sonny Clark are among the figures I come back to again and again. Lately I'm on a bit of a Benny Carter thing, along with some Pepper Adams.

As for pop-rock: Fountains of Wayne are numero uno right now.

Edited by BruceH

My jazz obsession started with Mingus (wouldn't give anything else a try for awhile), once I heard 'Love Supreme' it was Trane, once I heard 'Take Twelve' it was Morgan, quickly moving into Art Blakey and other hard bop players.

When I started listening to jazz, for some reason I stayed away from Miles. Maybe it was a kneejerk reaction to the "ya like jazz? yer gonna luv Miles" attitudes I got from otherwise uninformed record store employees (you know the type, ask for some good hard rock suggestions and they'll send you to the latest Metallica and completely pass over the Melvins), so for a lot of years I never gave Miles much of a listen to.

After putting plenty of other jazz under my belt (the aforementioned along with some Dolphy, Roland Kirk et al) I started to give some serious listening to all of Miles' music, and he quickly became a giant in my jazz world. IMO nobody personifies the depth of jazz music as much as he has.

So, in other words, I guess I've been listening to a lot of Miles lately.

Some good stuff. I'll have to pull out some VDGG...

It's so rare that anyone knows what the hell I am talking about.

Of course I got a chance to see Mr. Hammill in '94 at the QEH in LOndon. I am still bothered by the fact that my roomate wouldn't let me bring along his cassette recorder to the gig.

I like the post retirement stuff the most (Godbluff/Still Life/World Record) the most. Guy Evans is a monster drummer!