NFL chat thread

Frankly, I don't know how anyone can root for those guys with such a dickhead for an owner.

As Big Al's alluded to, some of us are Cowboy fans in spite of the owner. Probably most that fall in this category have been fans since long before Jerry Jones rode into town on his wildcat.

Correct.

But just to show you what a gutless bunch this is, NOBODY sounded angry or frustrated after this loss. Tony Romo shrugged this game off by saying "I've had worse things happen to me." Well, isn't that comforting? Apparently the plane ride back from Philly was something of a party atmosphere. Coach Candyland was his usual whimpering sniveling self in today's press conference, saying that he was working on a plan and that he was putting it together and that there would be changes. Not in his personality, style, personnel, attitude, or anything else. But there would be changes.

The only person who was even remotely pissed was Bradie James, and that was only because some idiot fan went out to Valley Ranch wearing a sandwich-board that said 'The Cowboys have no heart." Unfortunately for this guy, one of the few people on that team that has any heart--James-- happened to walk by. Anybody else would've just shrugged it off.

Then it was revealed that Jason Garrett is interviewing with the Lions. Do you know how COOL that would be if Garrett takes over the Lions and leads them to the playoffs (or even a victory), while the Cowboys continue to languish in mediocrity? I'd love it, since it isn't likely the Cows are gonna be anything resembling a playoff contender, much less a Super Bowl team, in my lifetime.

• Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All you guys bitching about your teams not being in the playoffs can kiss my butt. At least your teams WON a game.

Marinelli is out, but big whoop. The same doorknobs that were here under Matt Millen are still here and got promoted. Look for another abysmal season next year. Here's hoping no one is stupid enough to actually buy a ticket and support this worthless franchise.

All you guys bitching about your teams not being in the playoffs can kiss my butt. At least your teams WON a game.

Marinelli is out, but big whoop. The same doorknobs that were here under Matt Millen are still here and got promoted. Look for another abysmal season next year. Here's hoping no one is stupid enough to actually buy a ticket and support this worthless franchise.

IF, and I realize this is a VERY BIG IF, the Lions draft well they could be a very good team in a year or two. They have two first round picks(1 + another around 15 courtesy of the Cowboys), and two third round picks(Cowboys again), so the Lions have 5 picks out of the first roughly 80 picks.

IF, and I realize this is a VERY BIG IF, the Lions draft well they could be a very good team in a year or two. They have two first round picks(1 + another around 15 courtesy of the Cowboys), and two third round picks(Cowboys again), so the Lions have 5 picks out of the first roughly 80 picks.

Plus, they might hire Jason Garrett, which I believe could be a good thing.

I know Detroit didn't win this year, but AFAIC they were a far better team than the Cowboys. The Lions don't have the talent, obviously, but they've got the heart. The Cows, OTOH, are a talented, overrated, gutless bunch of weasels "led" by a simpering wisp of a "head coach" and the man who pulls his strings.

Having said that, I think I'm gonna apply for the Cows head-coaching job. Apparently qualifications don't matter and expectations are extremely low, so I should fit right in. Plus, my press conferences would be more like parties:

Me: Hey folks, how’d ya like our Boys out there, eh? Wasn’t that a blast?

Star Telegram columnist Randy Galloway: You guys are gutless pigs.

Me: Hey, hey, heyyyy…. we’re just out there having a good time! So we lost, big deal! We all had a great time in this big fancy Death Star…. oops, sorry Mr. Jones: brand spankin’ new stadium! (light laugher from the media)

Star Telegram columnist Mac Engel: Coach Rearick, do you think that Terrell Owens will be facing any punishment for dropping 45 straight passes?

Me: Awww man, come on! Did you see how smooth he was out there? I was giggling right along with him! I mean, yeah, we’re still working on him running the right route, but hey, we got all the time in the world, right? Super Bowl Bound, babies!!!

Star Telegram columnist Jennifer Floyd Engel: Coach Rearick, will there be extra practices this week to work on the offensive line, seeing as how they all lined up backwards every play?

Me: Alright, that one’s on me. Right before the game, I told the guys “Hey, listen, I got an idea: line up BACKWARDS! It’ll completely freak out the other team, they’ll try to run around in front of you guys and they’ll be called offsides!” The beauty of that little scheme is that Flozell Adams can jump all he wants and he won’t be called for another “false start!” Hey, just call me Mr. Fix-It, right?

Jen Engel: Yeah, but are you going to practice at all this week?

Me: Mmmmmm, probably not. Romo’s got a Hollywood premiere on Tuesday; TO’s shooting an Orville Redenbacher commercial all week; plus, that defensive line played hard today, don’t you think? I mean, they were out there for 54 minutes today; they need a week off!

Dallas Morning News columnist Jean-Jacques Taylor: What will you do next week if you lose and your Cowboys become 0-16 for the first time in franchise history?

Me: Way ahead of you there, pal: I’ve already called the folks in Detroit and what we’re gonna do is have a special playoff game. Well, it won’t really be a playoff game, it’ll be a charity game. Cause we need all the charity we can get, y’knowhatI’msayin? (hearty chuckles from the media) Seriously, we’re going to have a giant fundraiser at the Jerrydome between our two teams to raise money for Arlington’s Homeless and Displaced by the Stadium. We’re gonna call it the Stupor Bowl! We figure, between our two teams, after four quarters, ONE of us has to be ahead! You can’t score negative points, right? (more hearty laughter)

FOX4 sportscaster Steve Dennis: Coach Rearick, you’re the best thing to ever happen to this team.

Me: You the MAN, Steve, but really all the credit goes to the man who signs my checks. If it wasn’t for Jerry, heck, I’d still be an accountant staring out my office window only dreaming of this kind of lifestyle where there are no goals, no accountability, just party party party. Now I’m getting paid millions of dollars to have the time of my life! Who could ask for anything more?

Galloway: A Super Bowl ring, maybe?

Me: We’ll get there eventually, but right now: PARTY AT THE RANCH!!!

I plan on FAXing my resume tomorrow!

Not so fast. There is talk about the Lions going after some new management and coaching. We already know that they own a fistful of high picks in the draft. Teams can turn around quickly in the NFL.

I think the key for the Lions is new management and coaching. Gotta change everything, top to bottom, to break the culture of losing. I don't think bringing in a young offense-minded coach like Garrett, while leaving the personnel/management side intact, would be successful. With the right hires, the thing could turn around, but it'd likely take a couple of years. Miami turned 1-15 around in a single season, but that was a flukily bad year, not extension of a longstanding tradition.

On the coaching side, Giant defensive coordinator Spagnuolo (sp?) is going to be a hot candidate. I'm more concerned with the GM/personnel side, though.

Not so fast. There is talk about the Lions going after some new management and coaching. We already know that they own a fistful of high picks in the draft. Teams can turn around quickly in the NFL.

Whereas the Bears are an organization that thrives on rewarding mediocrity. The last I heard Lovie Smith was interested in going after the Lion's ex-head coach and stick him on defense coaching somewhere (maybe he once was a defensive guru but not this past year) and make room for the Bears' existing defensive coordinator (who sucks). As it turns out, they all have the same agent. When the fuck did coaches get agents? I've never been a big Bears fan, but I've been begging my wife not to support the team in any way, shape or form until they fire at least half the coaching staff and really shake up the team. Bears' fans are some of the biggest enablers in the league (ok, maybe not quite as bad as Cowboy fans :P ).

I'm not the sharpest tool in the shed, but isn't offense the Bears' big problem? Gee whiz, the QB situation is awful. When I see the Bears on TV, the offense doesn't even look up to NFL standards.

Funny thing, but I grew up in the Chicago area, and the Bears have almost always had rotten QBs. I recall non-entities like Jack Concannon, Bobby Douglass (would've been a better RB), Virgil Carter,... Jim McMahon's about the only significant QB they've had for decades. It's really strange.

Agreed, Chicago fans are enablers. When I moved to the East Coast, the NY fans' emphasis on winning, though kind of obnoxious, was a real sea change. Chicago is a great sports town, though.

I'm not the sharpest tool in the shed, but isn't offense the Bears' big problem? Gee whiz, the QB situation is awful. When I see the Bears on TV, the offense doesn't even look up to NFL standards.

The last two years the Bears' defense has slipped mightily (and most of us believe was in no small part due to Lovie forcing out Ron Riveria and putting in his friend/tool Bob Babich). In fact, this year, it ranks in the bottom half of the league and one of the worst against the pass, and yet the defense collectively is the second or third highest paid in the league.

So you have an anemic offense and a defense that it simply going down the tubes. Well, no suprise that you have a mediocre team. If it weren't for generally good contributions from special teams (esp. two years ago but even this season) the Bears would probably wouldn't even be a .500 team.

Lions have been to ONE playoff game in the 40 years that Ford has owned the team. Unless he suddenly figures out how to run a football team and how to hire talented managers... or until he sells the team... nothing will change.

The Broncos just fired Mike Shanahan!

also, Mike Singletary fired Mike Martz.

shanahan is the second best coach in the nfl. the denver owner has rocks in his head.

I was thinking the same thing, Aloc. Shanahan is the second best coach in the NFL to Belichick. I would rate Jeff Fisher up there as well and maybe Tony Dungy. These guys have a long history of success.

Best of the young coaches: perhaps Mike Tomlin and Jim Harbaugh.

Reason no.1 why I can't get fully into the NFL: Roethlisberger has a "mild concussion" and will probably play this weekend, so he can get another concussion. The NFL just doesn't seem to care about the health of its players.

If it was during the season I'm sure they'd rest him...but once the playoffs arrive most of your usual safety precautions fly out the window.

Reason no.1 why I can't get fully into the NFL: Roethlisberger has a "mild concussion" and will probably play this weekend, so he can get another concussion. The NFL just doesn't seem to care about the health of its players.

If it was during the season I'm sure they'd rest him...but once the playoffs arrive most of your usual safety precautions fly out the window.

Yeah, it's too bad that attitude is there. Well, I forgot the the Steelers have the bye this week. Even so, it's still dangerous for Big Ben.

Edited by Matthew

Lions have been to ONE playoff game in the 40 years that Ford has owned the team. Unless he suddenly figures out how to run a football team and how to hire talented managers... or until he sells the team... nothing will change.

Holy shit.... THIS is what Cowboys fans have to look forward to!