NFL chat thread

• Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think I've ever seen the Pro Bowl. I remember watching that game that had the college all-stars against the NFL (champs I think?) but that was long ago and far away...

Ah, here we go:

mike-garrett-college-all-stars.jpg

I particularly remember the year the big rainstorm hit the field; you couldn't even see the players at times on TV.

The Pro Bowl is nothing but an exhibition game which includes all the stars in the league. It should be viewed as such. I have always found that if I keep my expectations down, I will not be disappointed. The intensity of the Pro Bowl has never been the same as a regular season game, playoff game, Division Championship game or the Super Bowl. FYI that way you won't be disappointed if you don't see the game (which I did not this year)or if you do.

It is the only place you can see so many stars in the same football game. The powers that be tried to make it more than it was by changing the venue and it did not work, so it is back in Hawaii which is a holiday for the players participating. It is what it is.

It's a harmless exhibition game with not much defense. People want to see scoring and for nobody to be hurt. People also want to see their favorites out there. My son was looking for all the Jets players. My son and I watched part of it last night and it was fun. It's obviously not as competitive as a training game because there are people are tackling, etc. and fighting for jobs.

Didn't watch but a minute or two at the end of the game.

They might as well make it flag football, which ain't a bad idea, actually.

They could also have the captains choose up sides the night before, as the NHL did. That was kinda cool. And mic the huddles (maybe they did that, didn't watch enough to know). They could even outfit the helmets with two-way communications so the broadcasters could talk to the players while they're on the field.

They could go completely interactive and ask for the viewing audience to submit play suggestions during the game. Do quick vote things online such as: Team A is going back on offense. On the opening play, should they A) go deep on a flee flicker post play? B) Run a hook and lateral to Welker? C) Statue of Liberty play? D) Screen pass? Do a quick vote online and bingo, you've got the viewers calling the plays. Advertisers would eat that shit up, I'm guessing. Instant promotions for those who voted online for the winning play calls, etc, etc.

Stuff like that would get the viewers more into it, and make the game more interesting to watch. But they really ought to just go with flag rules or something similar if they aren't going to tackle. A flag on each side of the waste and both flags have to be pulled off to register a tackle. Something like that.

Edited by papsrus

I don't think I've ever seen the Pro Bowl. I remember watching that game that had the college all-stars against the NFL (champs I think?) but that was long ago and far away...

Ah, here we go:

mike-garrett-college-all-stars.jpg

I particularly remember the year the big rainstorm hit the field; you couldn't even see the players at times on TV.

That sounds like the last one they had. I'm guessing (perhaps incorrectly) that the Steelers didn't play their starters (or at least for much of the game), but I recall being scared for the college players having to play them. If O.J. couldn't do anything vs. the Steel Curtain and given the way that defense destroyed teams, it just seemed dangerous & unfair to the college guys.

Didn't watch but a minute or two at the end of the game.

They might as well make it flag football, which ain't a bad idea, actually.

They could also have the captains choose up sides the night before, as the NHL did. That was kinda cool. And mic the huddles (maybe they did that, didn't watch enough to know). They could even outfit the helmets with two-way communications so the broadcasters could talk to the players while they're on the field.

They could go completely interactive and ask for the viewing audience to submit play suggestions during the game. Do quick vote things online such as: Team A is going back on offense. On the opening play, should they A) go deep on a flee flicker post play? B) Run a hook and lateral to Welker? C) Statue of Liberty play? D) Screen pass? Do a quick vote online and bingo, you've got the viewers calling the plays. Advertisers would eat that shit up, I'm guessing. Instant promotions for those who voted online for the winning play calls, etc, etc.

Stuff like that would get the viewers more into it, and make the game more interesting to watch. But they really ought to just go with flag rules or something similar if they aren't going to tackle. A flag on each side of the waste and both flags have to be pulled off to register a tackle. Something like that.

Minstrel football, why not?

Congrats to the Packers, we had the chance to win it in the two last minutes but we failed miserably, lack of communication on two plays during the last drive. Other poor choice was going for the long field goal, woould have prefer to punt the ball and try to pin the Packers deep instead of going for the three points with an unreliable kicker.

Packers made the big plays three turnovers which all had a big impact on the game and they did it despite loosing key players like Woodson, ama Steelers fans but gotta say I'm happy to see a city like Green Bay being able to be host of the best football team of the NFL, have fun Cheeseheads.

Congrats Packers, great win and a great turnaround to what early on looked like a mediocre season. Turned out to be a pretty good game.

IMHO everything related to music was horrible, though. Really, there haven't been too many great halftime shows over the years, though. But the declining standards of what constitutes good (i.e., popular) music sure become evident in big events like this.

Packers dodged some big bullets...should have been too many missed catches, but hey...glad to see Aaron Rogers get out under Favre's shadow, glad to see the Pack back on top, drag to see the Steelers come that close and not get it done, but somebody's got to lose. Great game, really one of the best in SB history.