NFL chat thread

Speaking of the Jerry Jones Death Star (aka the new Cowboys Stadium), I took this picture the day after a wake for a friend of ours whose mother had passed away. Because of construction, traffic is being diverted all over the place, which leads to sign-placement such as this:

:rofl:

That picture almost makes me forget how bad the Eagles are. Thanks.

• Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pacman Jones was reinstated by the league today, though he has to sit out two more games. So the Cowboys should have him back after the Thanksgiving game.

I'm not sure whether he's worth having back on the field or not - his off-field activity is too much of a risk to depend on him to last through the rest of the season. And if he becomes a starter again he will simply delay the progress of the two rookie backs the Cowboys drafted, Jenkins and Scandrick.

He's talented for sure, but not sure he's worth it. Plus his punt returns have been pretty pedestrian this year.

ROMO’S GOOD DEED

Posted by Mike Florio on September 11, 2008, 10:25 a.m. EDT

Though we’re always skeptical of celebrities and pro athletes who do something nice for someone else and then send an e-mail to every newspaper in the country announcing their good deed, we’ve got a feeling that the recent Samaritan-style actions of Cowboys quarterback Tony Romo weren’t intended to garner the kind of good karma that comes from, say, a grandstanding donation of $10,000 to a smattering of charitable causes. (Then again, grandstanding donations of $10,000 to a smattering of charitable causes didn’t help Mike Vick in the karma department.)

On his way home from Sunday’s game against the Browns, Romo stopped to help a couple who was struggling to repair a flat tire.

..... <snip>

Romo apparently had another one of these good deed moments:

Further evidence that Tony Romo really is a swell fella

A homeless man who goes by Doc was cashing in change at a Cinemark theater in Dallas when a guy walked up and offered to pay his way into the movie. Doc, who planned to spend his day passing out flyers for a few bucks, accepted a rain check before realizing that he recognized the generous gentleman.

"Was that Tony Romo?" Doc asked the kid behind the counter.

It sure was. Doc hustled across the street to the consignment store that paid him to occasionally pass out flyers and requested the day off. By the time he got back to the theater, "Role Model" had already started.

Romo, who confirmed the story but didn't want to elaborate, waved Doc over to sit by him and his buddy. Doc sheepishly mentioned that he hadn't showered in a few days.

"Don't worry about that," Romo said. "I'm used to locker rooms."

And so the $67 million quarterback and a man who doesn't have $6.70 to his name sat next to each other and shared laughs for 90 minutes or so.

For Romo, who made news by changing a couple's tire on the side of the road on the way home the night of the season opener, it was just another kind gesture to a random stranger. It meant the world to Doc.

"For me, it was a blessing," Doc said. "It came at just the right time. It gave me some encouragement and faith in mankind. I just wanted to say thank you."

Well that's the end of the Donovan McNabb era in Philly. Hopefully Andy Reid will go too.

Have they come out and said it's Kolb's job for the rest of the season? Or was McNabb just canned for today's game, and be back next weekend?

In the post-game conference Reid said he hadn't decided on who would be the starting QB on Thursday, but I don't see how he could bring back McNabb after benching him like that. Your team is down by 3 points at halftime in a MUST WIN game and you bench the starting QB of the past 10 years for a 2nd year back up who has thrown just 9 passes in his NFL career?? You don't make that move unless you have totally given up on your starting QB. And with that loss the season is all but over for the Eagles. They have nothing to play for now so what's the point of bringing McNabb back?? They might as well play Kolb and see how he does.

The Philly papers are reporting that Reid didn't even tell McNabb he wasn't starting the 2nd half. Apparently he had one of his assistant coaches do the dirty work.

Take heart Niners fans....it could be worse: We could be Lions fans:

Q.Why do the Detroit Lions want a clone?

A.So they would have somebody they could beat.

Q. How do the Detroit Lions count to 10?

A. 0-1, 0-2, 0-3, 0-4, 0-5, 0-6, 0-7, 0-8, 0-9, 0-10

Q. What do the Detroit Lions & Billy Graham have in common?

A. They both can make 60,000 people stand up & yell "Jesus Christ" !

Q.What do a stolen car and the Lions have in common?

A.No Title.

Q. How do you keep a Detroit Lion out of your yard?

A. Put up goal posts

Q. Why did the Lion fan want to shoot a lion on safari?

A. Because it would be the only Lion Trophy he would ever see.

Q. What's the difference between the Detroit Lions & the Taliban?

A. The Taliban have a running game.

Q. Where do you go in Detroit in case of a tornado?

A. To Ford Field - they never get a touchdown there!

Q. How many people does it take to change a lightbulb at Ford Field?

A. Three. One to change it and two to talk about how good the old one was.!

Q. Why are the Lions like a tampon?

A. They are only good for one period and have no second string.

Q. What do you call a Detroit Lion with a SuperBowl ring?

A. A thief

Q. Why doesn't Flint have a professional football team?

A. Because then Detroit would want one

Q. Why was the coach upset when the Detroit Lions playbook was stolen?

A. Because he hadn't finished coloring it.

Q. Why did Rodney King want to play for the Lions?

A. Because they don't beat anybody.

Q. What's the difference between the Detroit Lions and a dollar bill?

A. You can still get four quarters out of a dollar

Q. What's the first thing Lions fans will hear when the Lions win the Super Bowl?

A. Their Alarm Clocks

Q. How many Detroit Lions does it take to win a Superbowl?

A. Nobody knows.

Q. What do you call 47 people sitting around a TV watching the SuperBowl?

A. The Detroit Lions

Q. What do the Detroit Lions and possums have in common?

A. Both play dead at home and get killed on the road

Q. How can you tell when the Detroit Lions are going to run the football?

A. The back leaves the huddle with tears in his eyes.

• 2 weeks later...

So.... any thoughts on the whole Plaxico gun incident?

Tough to say until more facts are known, and one hates to rely on tabloid coverage.

I'm an MSU Spartan and Burress fan, and also a Giant fan. I will say that Plaxico has been tough to deal with. Giants rewarded him with a big contract last off-season, and the difficult behavior continued (even seemingly got worse). Moreover, the club played well in his absence, and the passing game didn't noticeably fall off.

As far as the gun thing goes, I'm content to let the legal process take its course. NYC Mayor Bloomberg's comments don't augur well for Burress, but the league and Plaxico's counsel may get him some kind of behind-the-scenes break. I expect the Giants to part company with him after the season, and don't blame them. Pity, because the dude's a great talent.

Edited by T.D.

The Steelers rarely let go of players who are in their primes, unless there are some extenuating circumstances. Perhaps they didn't trust Plaxico's character and decided to let him walk. Another good player still in his prime they let go was Chris Hope, safety, who now plays for the Titans. I usually trust the Steeler front office when it comes to personnel decisions. They are one of the best in the league along with the Colts and Patriots.

So.... any thoughts on the whole Plaxico gun incident?

Remarkably stupid behavior. You're wearing expensive jewelry and carrying a large wad of cash and worried about being robbed, so you pack a piece? Dude, hire a bodyguard! It's a lot cheaper than losing a month's pay and maybe getting your contract terminated. Stay home with your two year old boy! JERK!

The Steelers rarely let go of players who are in their primes, unless there are some extenuating circumstances. Perhaps they didn't trust Plaxico's character and decided to let him walk. Another good player still in his prime they let go was Chris Hope, safety, who now plays for the Titans. I usually trust the Steeler front office when it comes to personnel decisions. They are one of the best in the league along with the Colts and Patriots.

if memory serves didn't Plaxico in his rookie year with the Steelers make a big catch downfield late in a close game and proceeded to spike the ball to show off before he was touched which resulted in a fumble?

Jackass, btw, there are laws about carring loaded guns in public for a reason.

oh, can the NFL adopt the rule that they have in Primeire League Soccer league where the really bad teams get demoted to a developmental league?

My cable company should send me a five dollar refund for having the Raiders on prime time tonight. Sorry Noj but they are a disgrace, how the hell did Denver lose to them?

Edited by WorldB3

Oh man, that was a b-a-a-a-a-a-d game. They shoulda had "Heidi" cued up and ready to go.

And is it just me, or is Rivers just not very good? He goes 10-of-22 against the Raiders? He was missing guys all over the field tonight. And it seems like he tends to get way too much arch on his intermediate passes. Then when he misses them, he'll stomp around, pout and show up his receivers. I can't imagine he's Mr. Popular. ... Course, he looked great compared to Russell, who was completely lost. Ill prepared. Bad coaching. Like a lamb to the slaughter, that guy. Geez.

The Cowboys' Marion Barber isn't going to play versus the Steelers tomorrow, so it doesn't look good for Dallas. I had picked them to upset the Steelers prior to the Barber announcement. But without Barber or their other stud RB Felix Jones, they aren't going to have a ground game to speak of, and it's supposed to be cold and snowy tomorrow in Pittsburgh.

I hope Tony Romo's got some of his Ro-Mojo back, but I'm not sure the passing game can carry them versus the stout Steeler D.