NFL chat thread

Arrrgh...

Cowboys' D played an exceptional game for 3 quarters versus the Steelers, then went conservative for some reason. But Romo couldn't throw the ball for beans today anyway, and he cost the team a win today.

If he connects with a wide open Roy Williams in the end zone (throwing left handed? what was that for?), the game might have been out of reach, given the dominance of our D. But he was overthrowing the ball all day, maybe due to the cold weather.

8-5 with 3 tough games remaining, I'm not sure they've got it in them to win out, and even if they somehow did, that may not be good enough this year.

• Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So.... any thoughts on the whole Plaxico gun incident?

Remarkably stupid behavior. You're wearing expensive jewelry and carrying a large wad of cash and worried about being robbed, so you pack a piece? Dude, hire a bodyguard! It's a lot cheaper than losing a month's pay and maybe getting your contract terminated. Stay home with your two year old boy! JERK!

Exactly.

Maybe the Raiders will trade for him for next year....he's their kinda guy :rolleyes:

What a dork.

The average American will travel 100 miles this holiday season, except the Detroit Lions... They can't even go ten yards.

The average American will travel 100 miles this holiday season, except the Detroit Lions... They can't even go ten yards.

0-13....what a pathetic football team.

Dude, it's one thing to repeat someone else's joke. But you're repeating yourself!

Cowboys played a great game, as Agg says for three quarters, but they ran up against a very good Pittsburgh squad at home. Might have been difference if "beast" Barber were playing.

Damn, more injuries for the Pats. I wish they would lose a game soon so they don't make the playoffs. Otherwise, they'll have to comb the retired list for replacements. Pats have been decimated by injuries. Looks like Bruschi is out now for an extended period. He can join his fellow linebacker Adalius Thomas on IR. Damn, we've lost everybody. I wish we could just pack it in for the season and look for next season with a fist full of draft picks. Injuries have done us in this year. I know it's part of football, but some teams are cursed worse than others.

Cowboys played a great game, as Agg says for three quarters, but they ran up against a very good Pittsburgh squad at home. Might have been difference if "beast" Barber were playing.

Damn, more injuries for the Pats. I wish they would lose a game soon so they don't make the playoffs. Otherwise, they'll have to comb the retired list for replacements. Pats have been decimated by injuries. Looks like Bruschi is out now for an extended period. He can join his fellow linebacker Adalius Thomas on IR. Damn, we've lost everybody. I wish we could just pack it in for the season and look for next season with a fist full of draft picks. Injuries have done us in this year. I know it's part of football, but some teams are cursed worse than others.

Don't make the playoffs...?

The hell you say.

My Niners might finish at 8-8 if they win out.

Count your blessings, Dude.

It's all about reloading for next year. If the Pats make the playoffs, they drop in the draft round a little bit. The team is competitive year in and year out. If there are so many injuries this year then their chances in the playoffs are nonexistent. I'd prefer to let them sit it out, and save the player's bodies for a few more games. Years and years of playing extra games takes a toll on the players. We're going nowhere this year.

We're going nowhere this year.

Right there with ya, buddy. Except we dont' have a first round pick this year, thanks to the acquisition of Roy Williams, who they don't really even try to throw to anyway.

Well, at least the 49ers will be going somewhere. They might go 8-8 this season! ;)

We're going nowhere this year.

Right there with ya, buddy. Except we dont' have a first round pick this year, thanks to the acquisition of Roy Williams, who they don't really even try to throw to anyway.

Well, at least the 49ers will be going somewhere. They might go 8-8 this season! ;)

For the season that wasn't...I'm thinking it would be an improvement over what we faced if Nolan was still the coach.

[heaviest of sighs]

Go SF Giants.

It's all about reloading for next year. If the Pats make the playoffs, they drop in the draft round a little bit. The team is competitive year in and year out. If there are so many injuries this year then their chances in the playoffs are nonexistent. I'd prefer to let them sit it out, and save the player's bodies for a few more games. Years and years of playing extra games takes a toll on the players. We're going nowhere this year.

Good point.

My wife and mother-in-law aren't real happy about that prospect though.

Oh well.

Is Dallas ready to implode? This is actually a very interesting article about what's going on.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3763209

Some highlights:

Owens feels that Romo and Witten -- close friends and road roommates who came to Dallas in the same offseason -- hold private meetings in which they create plays the two will use in upcoming games without including Owens in the conversations, according to a source who speaks regularly with Owens' teammates. Owens believes these discussions have worked to his detriment as Romo seeks to deliver the ball to Witten regardless of whether Owens is open.

and

But Owens seems to be finding it increasingly difficult to conceal his irritation. Last week in Pittsburgh, on the first possession of the Cowboys' most important game of the season, a team source who reviewed the game tape said Romo threw an interception when Owens mysteriously failed to complete his route. Troy Polamalu intercepted the ball at the place where Romo expected Owens to be. Later in the half, Romo underthrew a pass for Owens that was intercepted by Ike Taylor and Owens gestured openly in Romo's direction as he walked toward the sideline that the ball should have been thrown further upfield.

But what upset Owens' teammates most of all was his response to the interception Romo threw on a pass intended for Witten that Deshea Townsend returned for the game-winning touchdown in a 20-13 defeat. Both the quarterback and tight end publicly accepted blame for the Cowboys' season-high fifth turnover. In contrast, Owens said the offense stunk, that the team can't win with turnovers like those and then suggested his defender was playing off in single coverage and that he was open but Romo decided to throw elsewhere on the fatal play.

On the sideline, Owens was seen yelling at a Cowboys assistant coach. In his news conference after the game, Owens implied that Romo's decision to throw to Witten was the wrong one, saying, "It's his job to go out there and assess what the defense is, and he made that decision.''

That incensed some Cowboys, one of whom said, "If you only knew all that guy does. It's gonna go down with him before it's all over with. He is unbelievable. Tough loss and he does that?''

Edited by connoisseur series500

... he was open but Romo decided to throw elsewhere on the fatal play.

This is one of the things that I dislike about the NFL. and perhaps this is the fault of the press rather than of the coaches and players. As I see it, football on the pro level is a game of 300-pound men beating on each other for three hours, yet they always act as if the entire game was won or lost because of one play, as if what they have been doing for the rest of the three hours doesn't matter.

... he was open but Romo decided to throw elsewhere on the fatal play.

This is one of the things that I dislike about the NFL. and perhaps this is the fault of the press rather than of the coaches and players. As I see it, football on the pro level is a game of 300-pound men beating on each other for three hours, yet they always act as if the entire game was won or lost because of one play, as if what they have been doing for the rest of the three hours doesn't matter.

In general I tend to agree with your point. But in this particular case the game was tied, Dallas had played admirably well on the road in freezing cold weather against the best defense in football, and with a number of key injuries (some playing like Witten, others not, like Felix Jones).

Romo's final interception was a fatal play in this game though, as it came with less than 2 minutes remaining in a tied game in which they had the ball and could have gone down and scored to win the game themselves.

Is Dallas ready to implode?

Owens has had a very subpar year by his standards, though he's still got a shot at a 1,000 yard season - he's at 848 yds with 3 game remaining. But there have been a number of reasons I think that he's not done so well - Romo's injury and absence, spaghetti armed Brad Johnson filling in, and some strange play calling by "Red Jesus" or whatever they call Jason Garrett (who seems to have regressed as an OC over the past year).

Knowing Owens it's easy to see why he's upset and throwing blame all around.

I think Roy Williams has more reason to be uspet since he's been in Dallas, but he's been a model citizen despite being wasted on the field so far.

Alright... who of you are Broncos fans? Just looking at the last few posts, I can tell there is some Cowboys chatter here... PANTHERS are lining y'all up right now! We've got some tough games late in the season. The build-up has been incredible. Monday night was a blast!!! Redemption. Redemption. That first Tampa Bay game was torture.

Cowboy's saga continues: (from Profootball talk)

WAS WITTEN WERDER’S SOURCE?

Posted by Mike Florio on December 12, 2008, 5:09 p.m.

As it turns out, Terrell Owens’ suspicions regarding teammate Jason Witten might have been on the mark.

The talk in the Cowboys locker room is that Witten was one of the sources for Ed Werder’s recent ESPN item, which has sparked a firestorm within the organization.

Per a league source, center Andre Gurode and receiver Roy Williams called out Witten in a team meeting regarding their belief that he has been talking out of school to Werder, accusing Witten and/or his agent of feeding the information to Werder — as the song “Back Stabbers” played in the background.

According to our source (and it pains us to type this), Owens isn’t as bad as he’s made out to be in the media (i.e., by ESPN).

“Ed Werder didn’t make anything up,” the source said. “Witten or his agent gave the story.”

And here’s where it gets really interesting. Witten’s agent is Jimmy Sexton. And Sexton represents — you guessed it — former Cowboys coach Bill Parcells.

Parcells wanted no part of Owens, and presumably Parcells would love nothing more than to see the Cowboys fail to make the playoffs in the same year that Parcells is in the process of propelling the previously 1-15 Fins toward the postseason.

We’re not saying that Tuna has his finger in this one, after all he’s not the kind of guy who’d stick his nose in business that doesn’t pertain to him. We’re just pointing out the straight line from Witten to Sexton to Parcells, who by the way drafted Witten in 2003, the same year that Parcells signed Romo as an undrafted free agent.

Giants seem a little vulnerable this weekend, but the 'Boys are fighting each other instead. It's shameful.

Giants seem a little vulnerable this weekend, but the 'Boys are fighting each other instead. It's shameful.

Agree. I think the Cowboys could beat the Giants this weekend, if they have their heads on straight.

And I believe Owens is a more divisive lockerroom cancer than Witten is. I have a hard time Witten is purposely sabotaging anything.

TO has the history, let's put it that way.

Like I said before, Cowboys have it all in terms of talent. It's just that all the different chemicals on the team just lead to combustion. I don't think it is a good approach to pick up all the talented driftwood across the league and sign them to your team.

The Roy Williams trade is not good. Cowboys gave up a lot for him. TO is a pain in the ass. Pacman is a disaster.

The shame is that lost in the glare of these big egos are very talented and underrated players such as Demarcus Ware and Greg Ellis. I know Ellis has been known to complain here and there, but I would love to have him on the Patriots. He's a warrior.

Yawn.

Perhaps I'm missing something (admittedly, I'm a definite Cowboy non-fan if not outright hater), but doesn't this Dallas soap-opera shit go on every year? It's gotta be a combination of the owner (personnel decisions, showboating, talking crap to the press) and aggressive hometown media coverage. I'm sure Texas residents and Cowboy fans eat it up, but it gets tiresome for out-of-towners.

Meanwhile, all the principals have issued the obligatory denial of club turmoil.

Edited by T.D.

I'm sure Texas residents and Cowboy fans eat it up, but it gets tiresome for out-of-towners.

I think it's tiresome for most of the fans, too.

I'd like a lot lower profile team, but with this owner, that ain't gonna happen. He thrives on being in the spotlight, more than he does winning.