NFL chat thread

What happened to tackle football?

I was watching some of the Jets game today and it seemed like every running play the defenders would just try to wrap up the running back by grabbing him up high, go for the ball, and the back would move the pile 10 yards downfield and STILL never hit the ground. The refs just blow the whistle when the scrum stops moving forward. It's stand-up scrum football, is what it is. ... I see the same deal in other games, and this high "tackling" bullshit is part of the reason Ronde Barber kept getting planted by galloping Panther running backs last week. Is this a technique they're teaching these guys? It ain't working.

Bring back tackle football.

/rant

Lets see if the Giants and Cowboys remember how to play tackle football.

Edited by papsrus

• Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lets see if the Giants and Cowboys remember how to play tackle football.

Yes, they did! The Giants D was solid, sacking Romo 3 times, and hitting him many more. The Cowboys sacked Manning 8 times, with Demarcus Ware getting 3 by himself to lead the NFL, with 19. The sack record of 22.5 is within reach for him.

The Cowboys held NY to no touchdowns, which has to be a first for them in a long time. And the Cowboys rose above the silliness of the past week and were able to get the win. The Defense is playing at post-season level, hopefully the offense continues to re-gel over the next 2 weeks, and there are no more squabbles.

NOW the problem is that the game with the Ravens on Saturday night is on the NFL Network, which I don't get. :bwallace:

He's an amazing player.

Bill Parcells knows talent!

I agree. There was alot of grumbling during that particular draft, when the Boys bypassed Shawne Merriman in favor of Ware. But based on Merriman's 'roid rage and Ware's potential (especially at draft time, when he was considered more of a reach), Parcells did well.

Good Parcells picks:

03 - Terence Newman, 1st rd

03 - Jason Witten, 3rd rd

03 - Bradie James, 4th rd

04 - Patrick Crayton (good because he was a 7th rd find)

05 - DeMarcus Ware, 1st rd

05 - Marion Barber, 4th rd (a steal here!)

05 - Chris Canty, 4th rd

05 - Jay Ratliff, 7th rd, dude's an unsung monster (EDIT - Ratliff just got selected to his first Pro Bowl today, as a starter!)

He did have a few busts, though:

04 - Julius Jones, 2nd rd

04 - Jacob Rogers, 2nd rd

04- Stephen Peterman, 3rd rd

06 - Bobby Carpenter, 1st rd (guy can't even crack the starting lineup)

06 - Skyler Green, 4th rd (dunno if a 4th rounder can be called a bust, but he couldn't even make the team as kick returner)

The Cowboys' 07 draft was pretty bad, but the '08 was pretty good again - Felix Jones, Mike Jenkins (jury's out on him still), Martellus Bennett, Tashard Choice, and Orlando Scandrick have all contributed fairly significantly.

Edited by Aggie87

As if there was any doubt left, the Cowboys prove once and for all that they have no character.

Congrats to the Ravens. They played with heart, and rookie Joe Flacco outplayed Romo, with maybe an equivalent offensive line and fewer weapons.

Ugly, ugly loss. Cowboys' offense didn't show up, except for Tashard Choice. And the defense was on the field too long. At the end they couldn't tackle to save their lives.

The blame for this loss falls squarely on Romo's shoulders though.

Sad way to close out the Texas Stadium era.

The blame for this loss falls squarely on Romo's shoulders though.

Oooohhhh, I don't know....This team has lacked character for far too long, and for that, I think that Wade has to be held accountable. I mean, when a team repeatedly shows an inability to mentally perform at crunch time, it's more than just talent that hasn't been developed...

Ugly, ugly loss.

Sad way to close out the Texas Stadium era.

Couldn't agree more, but it's also perfectly fitting for the Jerry Jones era and an ominous sign for the Death Star in Arlington era which begins next year.

I agree with Sangrey: this isn't all Romo's fault. AFAIC, the blame starts and ends with the men at the top: Jerry, Wade, and Jason Garrett.

What do you think the Cowboys will do in the off-season? "Back up the truck" and make wholesale changes? I doubt they can, because such a prominent team, going into a new stadium, can't afford a rebuilding year. That seems to suggest coach firings. But I won't even try to predict Jones's strategy...

I think the Cowboys will be in the Super Bowl against the Steelers. Giants are fading.

Don't see how, especially with Marion Barber continuing to be out and Romo just playing flat-out terrible. As an added bonus, Dallas was way out coached last night. Just don't see it happening, if the Eagles get in, they might be the team to beat in the NFC.

Edited by Matthew

As for Romo, I only was able to watch the highlights but it looked like he was under a lot of pressure from that defense. I saw him get chased around and pounded more than a couple of times. That points to the O line, maybe? Or blocking schemes (coaching). And the Ravens ripped off a couple of huge runs. (maybe points to defensive schemes and coaching again). Eliminate those and it could be a different game.

Comes down to coaching, me thinks. Dallas certainly has the athletes. Their playoff chances were wounded badly with that loss though.

Wow! I had no idea that the Ravens beat Dallas last night. Of course, Dallas is out of it now. I really thought that they would defeat the Ravens.

Are the Giants back as NFC favorites then? We'll have to see if Carolina proves to be the better club.

I still like the Steelers in the AFC, though Peyton Manning is getting hot at the right time.

As for Romo, I only was able to watch the highlights but it looked like he was under a lot of pressure from that defense. I saw him get chased around and pounded more than a couple of times. That points to the O line, maybe? Or blocking schemes (coaching).

Yes and yes. A QB is only as effective as his offensive line lets him be. Of course, having Butterfingers Owens on your team doesn't help, either.

As for Romo, I only was able to watch the highlights but it looked like he was under a lot of pressure from that defense. I saw him get chased around and pounded more than a couple of times. That points to the O line, maybe? Or blocking schemes (coaching).

Yes and yes. A QB is only as effective as his offensive line lets him be. Of course, having Butterfingers Owens on your team doesn't help, either.

I agree. There's plenty of blame to go around, as Jim has also mentioned. Romo had a bad night, as did Owens, who quit on some routes and didn't catch a few that were catchable again.

The offensive scheme was questionable, play calling was bad, and Wade Phillips seemed very reactive (like his shocked face when the Ravens faked the field goal).

It wouldn't bother me if Phillips & Jason Garrett both got pink slips, as well as Brian Stewart, if he's anything more than DC in name. And the offensive line coach. Hell, all the coaches.

Jerry Jones screwed up, again.

I agree. There's plenty of blame to go around, as Jim has also mentioned. Romo had a bad night, as did Owens, who quit on some routes and didn't catch a few that were catchable again.

The offensive scheme was questionable, play calling was bad, and Wade Phillips seemed very reactive (like his shocked face when the Ravens faked the field goal).

It wouldn't bother me if Phillips & Jason Garrett both got pink slips, as well as Brian Stewart, if he's anything more than DC in name. And the offensive line coach. Hell, all the coaches.

Jerry Jones screwed up, again.

Re: Garrett -- I have never understood this cult in the NFL regarding assistant coaches. Supposedly Garrett was so good they gave him big $$$ to stay, and now Garrett's value has taken a big hit he might not even be taking over next year. Seattle fell into this group think with Jim Mora Jr., naming him the head coach for 2009, way before the 2008 season started, and again, the team is tanking, and now that urgency to keep Mora doesn't look so great.

Re: Garrett -- I have never understood this cult in the NFL regarding assistant coaches. Supposedly Garrett was so good they gave him big $$$ to stay, and now Garrett's value has taken a big hit he might not even be taking over next year. Seattle fell into this group think with Jim Mora Jr., naming him the head coach for 2009, way before the 2008 season started, and again, the team is tanking, and now that urgency to keep Mora doesn't look so great.

I agree Matthew. In the Cowboys' case, Garrett was hired by Jerry Jones prior to the hiring of Wade Phillips as head coach. There was the potential for him at the time to have been head coach, had Jones not hired anyone else. I think Garrett is intelligent, and perhaps will make a head coach, but I'm not sure he's that good of an offensive coordinator. He had one really good year last year, when the Cowboys went 13-3, but in retrospect it might have been luck, or simply good playing by the offense regardless of the plays called.

Garrett's star is definitely not shining as bright anymore though. Was Mora hired to be the next head coach after Holmgren had already announced his retirement?

I don't really get the thinking either way.

Re: Garrett -- I have never understood this cult in the NFL regarding assistant coaches. Supposedly Garrett was so good they gave him big $$ to stay, and now Garrett's value has taken a big hit he might not even be taking over next year. Seattle fell into this group think with Jim Mora Jr., naming him the head coach for 2009, way before the 2008 season started, and again, the team is tanking, and now that urgency to keep Mora doesn't look so great.

I agree Matthew. In the Cowboys' case, Garrett was hired by Jerry Jones prior to the hiring of Wade Phillips as head coach. There was the potential for him at the time to have been head coach, had Jones not hired anyone else. I think Garrett is intelligent, and perhaps will make a head coach, but I'm not sure he's that good of an offensive coordinator. He had one really good year last year, when the Cowboys went 13-3, but in retrospect it might have been luck, or simply good playing by the offense regardless of the plays called.

Garrett's star is definitely not shining as bright anymore though. Was Mora hired to be the next head coach after Holmgren had already announced his retirement?

I don't really get the thinking either way.

Yeah, Mora got the gig when Holmgren said 2008 was his last year. Seahawks panicked when Mora Jr. said coaching at the University of Washington would be his "dream job," and named him head coach for 2009 back in January 2008, making Holmgren the lamest of lame ducks, and now they're stuck with Mora Jr. Seattle has stunk this year -- you know you're really bad when you can't even make it in the NFC West, I mean, Arizona gets killed anytime they play a decent team. I should talk, for the first time in twleve years my Sunday afternoons are free, so I've picked up watching the Chargers again (I grew up in San Diego during the Air Coryell years), just as frustrating of a team as ever to follow; well, at least they won today, but LT is not even close to what he once was.

I hope the Cowgirls destroy the Eagles next week so that we can finally fire Andy Reid. Unfortunately, they will probably keep him and get rid of McNabb.

While I certainly understand your frustration with your hometown team, I would ask you all to mark Sunday on your calendar as the ONLY time in my life I'm rooting for the Eagles to beat the Cows, and here's why:

1) If the Cows win, they get to the playoffs, where they will lose. This is a team that deserves to MISS the playoffs altogether. This team NEEDS to miss the playoffs. If they miss the playoffs, Jerry Jones will have no choice but to acknowledge that his way has failed AGAIN. The ONLY way this season is an improvement over last season is if the Cows have a Super Bowl ring on their finger in February. Anything else is a failure compared to last season. I won't hold my breath for Jerry to make that statement, though.

2) Come on: even the most die-hard Cow fan has to acknowledge what a gas it would be to see T.O. embarrassed in Philly, especially since if the Eagles win, THEY go to the playoffs!

Pray for me, Sunday. It'll be like rooting for the Cards against the Cubs. As much as it pains me to say it......GO EAGLES!!!! :bad: