NFL chat thread

what a gas it would be to see T.O. embarrassed in Philly, especially since if the Eagles win, THEY go to the playoffs!

Pray for me, Sunday. It'll be like rooting for the Cards against the Cubs. As much as it pains me to say it......GO EAGLES!!!! :bad:

hm.. as an avid Cowboy hater, if you insist.

Don't the Cowboy's still need help next week even if they do beat Philly or do they control their own destiny? If they get to play Arizona in the first round they will beat them easily, even at Az.

The Cowboys are fine, trade T.O to get some help with the run defense. You have one of the best QB's in all of football, a good to great running game, OL and pass rush. The team underachieved but it is still one of the most talented squads in all of the NFL.

I see Bill Cower becoming a rich man this off season and coaching the Boys next year.

Edited by WorldB3

• Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the Cowboys will be in the Super Bowl against the Steelers. Giants are fading.

I know the Giants looked awful, if only they could run the ball. :blink:

Great game, hopefully that will be a preview of the NFC Championship game this January.

Edited by WorldB3

Speaking of needing to win to make the playoffs: The Sunday night game is San Diego vs. Denver, and it's in San Diego. Think the Bolts will take it easily, their offense is clicking right now, with Brees looking great against Tampa Bay yesterday. Maybe LT can get his act together for this game and make an impact, he's been out of it the whole year. I've kind of gotten back into football this year, having time to actually watch games on Sunday, it would be very cool seeing the Chargers, who were left for dead three weeks ago, make it in -- that would be a major choke job by the Broncos

Edited by Matthew

Don't the Cowboy's still need help next week even if they do beat Philly or do they control their own destiny? If they get to play Arizona in the first round they will beat them easily, even at Az.

The Cowboys are fine, trade T.O to get some help with the run defense. You have one of the best QB's in all of football, a good to great running game, OL and pass rush. The team underachieved but it is still one of the most talented squads in all of the NFL.

I see Bill Cower becoming a rich man this off season and coaching the Boys next year.

Amazingly, the Cowboys control their destiny. If they beat the Eagles, they're in the playoffs. If not, they're done. So effectively the Eagles game is a playoff game for them.

And I'm not so sure they beat the Cardinals head to head. The Cards beeat the Cowboys earlier this season already, 30-24, though it was an OT game.

As far as their talent, I am not so sure Romo's already topped out. This may be the best he ever gets. His decision making is questionable at times, and I don't see that they've worked with him at all on that since Parcells left. T.O. is on the downward side of his career, so it would make sense to trade him if you could get anything in return. They've committed to Roy Williams, so they need to work him into the offense, I think at Owens' expense. Their offensive line needs improvement, and the defensive secondary - mainly the safetys - needs work too.

The underachieving is a reflection on the coaching. I don't think there's a coach on the team that is a long term answer either. Better to overhaul the staff with a Cowher or Holmgren at the top, and - here's the key - let them hire their own staff and let them be in charge, unlike now.

Speaking of needing to win to make the playoffs: The Sunday night game is San Diego vs. Denver, and it's in San Diego. Think the Bolts will take it easily, their offense is clicking right now, with Brees looking great against Tampa Bay yesterday. Maybe LT can get his act together for this game and make an impact, he's been out of it the whole year. I've kind of gotten back into football this year, having time to actually watch games on Sunday, it would be very cool seeing the Chargers, who were left for dead three weeks ago, make it in -- that would be a major choke job by the Broncos

You mean Rivers, not Brees I think. And yes, I think they're playing well finally. If they get in, they'll be a force to be reckoned with. I hope LT still has something left in the tank though.

Better to overhaul the staff with a Cowher or Holmgren at the top, and - here's the key - let them hire their own staff and let them be in charge, unlike now.

Like Jerry will ever let THAT happen. <_<

Holmgren's retiring, and I don't think he'd want to put up with Jones's antics anyway. (I'm not that high on him as a coach, but what do I know?)

Living in NY State and occasionally reading NYC tabloids, I'm very familiar with the "hire the biggest name out there" strategy. Cowher fits from that perspective, and Jones hired Parcells before, so I wouldn't rule Cowher out. But I'm not sure Cowher'd take the job, even if they threw piles of money at him: as an owner/boss Jones couldn't be a bigger contrast to the Rooney family... <_<

Edited by T.D.

As far as their talent, I am not so sure Romo's already topped out. This may be the best he ever gets. His decision making is questionable at times, and I don't see that they've worked with him at all on that since Parcells left. T.O. is on the downward side of his career, so it would make sense to trade him if you could get anything in return.

I think that is a bit unfair as he has played hurt most of the second half this year. He pretty much willed the Boys to victory last week and while he was a bit off in the first half this Saturday we need to remember that the Raven's D is ferocious and it wasn't Romo that gave up two 80 yard td runs after he got them in position to have a chance to win the game. Not to mention having to overcome T.O's bullshit.

If the Boys want to trade him to the 49ers for a mid round draft pick we will gladly take him. He might not help much as the 49ers need help at OL and pass rush first.

Edited by WorldB3

You mean Rivers, not Brees I think. And yes, I think they're playing well finally. If they get in, they'll be a force to be reckoned with. I hope LT still has something left in the tank though.

Duh, of course I meant Rivers -- see what turning 50 does for you.

This Cowboy team has to be THE worst ever, in terms of talent and expectations. Eagles are annihilating the Cows, 34-3 barely into the 3rd quarter. Actually, the Cows are giving it away, which leads me to believe this is nothing more than open revolt against Jerry and Wade.

Remember how Jerry ripped Marion Barber a new one a few weeks back? Jones has yet to say anything about the antics of TO and Pacman (who just muffed ANOTHER kickoff as I type this), but he rips one of his hardest players. As a result, Barber has been playing DOWN to Jones' expectations, and the rest of the Boys have been following suit. Can't say I blame 'em. If I was getting paid millions of dollars to be mediocre, I'd phone in my performance, too!

I'd like to see Jerry explain THIS one!

This Cowboy team has to be THE worst ever, in terms of talent and expectations. Eagles are annihilating the Cows, 34-3 barely into the 3rd quarter. Actually, the Cows are giving it away, which leads me to believe this is nothing more than open revolt against Jerry and Wade.

Remember how Jerry ripped Marion Barber a new one a few weeks back? Jones has yet to say anything about the antics of TO and Pacman (who just muffed ANOTHER kickoff as I type this), but he rips one of his hardest players. As a result, Barber has been playing DOWN to Jones' expectations, and the rest of the Boys have been following suit. Can't say I blame 'em. If I was getting paid millions of dollars to be mediocre, I'd phone in my performance, too!

I'd like to see Jerry explain THIS one!

Interesting. I also thought the same about the Barber situation. As for Pacman he doesn't deserve to wear the NFL uni for what he did imo. Earlier in the week after Jones gave Wade the vote of confidence I though he may keep his job but after today there is no way.

I had something of a premonition last night that the Eagles would get into the playoffs. In spite of this, given all that had to happen, I still thought there was no way. Now that they're actually in, I couldn't be happier. And to think they made it by beating the Cowboys like a rented mule makes it that much sweeter. Frankly, I don't know how anyone can root for those guys with such a dickhead for an owner. It'll be interesting to see how long Jones holds onto his "our coaching staff is already set for next year" declaration in the face of today's organizational embarrassment. It must warm the hearts of Roger Goodell and the rest of the league to know that once Al Davis assumes room temperature, there's someone who is ready, willing and able to take his place.

The Eagles draw Minnesota next weekend. If they're good enough to win there, they go to New York in two weeks. Who'd have thought?

Up over and out.

Happy that a bunch of new teams are in the postseason, and some regulars are out -- Patriots mainly. I'll be rooting for the Eagles, Falcons, Dolphins, Chargers and Vikings and see how fare any of those can go (that should about cover it).

Cowboys and Bucs didn't deserve anything. Both played like shit down the stretch. I guess the Cowboys were a bigger el-foldo, considering they had gobs of talent. The Bucs absolutely went in the tank in December for the third year in a row, but maybe the last month of the season was more indicative of what they are anyways, which is not much. The defense finally ran out of gas after about a seven- or eight-year run. Time to retool at multiple positions, beginning (again) with QB, middle linebacker (Brooks is fading fast), corner (Barber, too), running back (Cadillac may be history with another ripped up knee). The best thing they have going right now is a young and fairly sturdy O-line.

Cowboys need a new coaching staff, no doubt. But it's not a surprise that Jerry Jones prefers a weak staff he can dictate to easily.

Cowboys need a new coaching staff, no doubt. But it's not a surprise that Jerry Jones prefers a weak staff he can dictate to easily.

Today was such a banner day for us Cowboys fans who despise Jones and how he's brought this team down to the depths:

1) The aforementioned embarrasment in Philly. This should finally expose Terrell Owens as the NFL's biggest fool, along with Jerry Jones who wanted him in the first place.

2) The Miami Dolphins are in the playoffs, and the Cowboys aren't. For anyone not paying attention, Miami was 1-15 last year, and then they brought in a new head coach: former Cowboys head coach Bill Parcells, a man Jerry Jones was still deriding as recent as a couple of weeks ago.

3) The San Diego Chargers are in the playoffs, and the Cowboys aren't. The Chargers' head coach is Norv Turner, the man all us Cowboys fans thought would be the perfect successor to Big Bill; the man who was passed over by Jerry Jones in favor of Coach Candyland himself, Wade Phillips.

This Cowboys fan would love nothing more than to see the Super Bowl being played between the Eagles and the Dolphins/Chargers. Then I'd want to watch the Super Bowl with Jerry and say, "See? This is what happens when you have a REAL GM and a REAL head coach."

Dave James said it best:

It must warm the hearts of Roger Goodell and the rest of the league to know that once Al Davis assumes room temperature, there's someone who is ready, willing and able to take his place.

The Dallas game wasn't a surprise to me, I knew they were going to tank. You could just feel it in the air, no team this out of sync with each other has a chance...you can fill the roster with stars but in team sports it's all about chemistry and the Cowboys have NONE. Almost all the blame lies squarely on Jones, Phillips is just a figurehead coach...although some scorn needs to be lumped upon Jason Garrett who has Romo so confused he doesn't even look like he knows what play he's running when he calls it, it's like he's only got one option and no checkdown receivers on any play. Garrett should be playcalling to Romo's strengths, instead he's just amplifying his weaknesses.

But enough about "America's laughing stock"

Here's the main thing I take away from this season:

4 rookie head coaches (Miami, Washington, Atlanta, Baltimore) - 3 of those teams are in the playoffs, the other finished with at .500. Now THAT's something worth celebrating. In a year when the media focused on "big names", these guys quietly put together actual TEAMS and they just kept winning. Extra kudos to Miami, from 1-15 to Division title is remarkable.

P.S.

Chad Pennington is a much better quarterback than he was ever given credit for.

The Dallas game wasn't a surprise to me, I knew they were going to tank. You could just feel it in the air, no team this out of sync with each other has a chance...you can fill the roster with stars but in team sports it's all about chemistry and the Cowboys have NONE. Almost all the blame lies squarely on Jones, Phillips is just a figurehead coach...although some scorn needs to be lumped upon Jason Garrett who has Romo so confused he doesn't even look like he knows what play he's running when he calls it, it's like he's only got one option and no checkdown receivers on any play. Garrett should be playcalling to Romo's strengths, instead he's just amplifying his weaknesses.

But enough about "America's laughing stock"

Damn straight!!!

Here's the main thing I take away from this season:

4 rookie head coaches (Miami, Washington, Atlanta, Baltimore) - 3 of those teams are in the playoffs, the other finished with at .500. Now THAT's something worth celebrating. In a year when the media focused on "big names", these guys quietly put together actual TEAMS and they just kept winning. Extra kudos to Miami, from 1-15 to Division title is remarkable.

Damn straight!!!!

P.S.

Chad Pennington is a much better quarterback than he was ever given credit for.

Damn straight!!!!!

The Cowboy collapse surprised me. I figured they'd lose in Philly, but not in such an ugly way. I'm more or less a Cowboy hater (kudos to Jerry Jones here), but the meltdown was even painful for me to watch.

Coach firings: Marinelli had to go (you have to get rid of all traces of an 0-16 season). Also Crennel, just based on his record (and I'm a longtime fan of all the Giant Parcells alumni). Mangini was less clear, but it's New York and there were some warning signs. Trouble is, the Jets bet the ranch on a bunch of veteran free-agent signings, and that rarely seems to work in the NFL.

Great job by the Dolphins, but I felt Parcells maneuvered himself into a great job. Last year's 1-15 was a freakish meltdown, and I thought the Fish could go 7-9 to 9-7 this year with minimal changes. Still, Parcells, Sparano et al. got it done...I'm very happy for Pennington (a very classy guy), although I felt his arm just wasn't strong enough for the Jets.

To say the Chargers looked good tonight is an under statement. It'll be interesting to see how they do against Indy next week.

Well the Bronco's can't run the ball or tackle anybody on defense. Cutler has been doing it on his own all season. However it's nice to see SD get in after they got robbed earlier in the year at Denver.

for me it was good year. The 49ers won 4 more games then I thought they would and they finally fired Nolan. To top it off the Boys and the Pats both miss the playoffs.

Edited by WorldB3

Frankly, I don't know how anyone can root for those guys with such a dickhead for an owner.

As Big Al's alluded to, some of us are Cowboy fans in spite of the owner. Probably most that fall in this category have been fans since long before Jerry Jones rode into town on his wildcat.

The Cowboy collapse surprised me. I figured they'd lose in Philly, but not in such an ugly way.

I actually thought they'd lose too, but I thought they'd at least show up and make a respectable showing, since there actually was something still on the line. My guess would have been a 24-17 score or something like that, with a typical Romo interception that sealed their fate.

Not like the steaming pile of manure that showed up in Cowboys uniforms.