Sonny Rollins

mrjazzman

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nearly impossible to list the "best," but I'll have some fun and list my favorites (two each) from each decade:

1940's

• Bud Powell and His Jazz Modernists (Blue Note)

• Babs Gonzales and His Orchestra (Capitol)

1950's

• Way Out West

• Tenor Madness

1960's

• Sonny Meets Hawk

• Now's the Time

1970's

• In Japan

• The Cutting Edge

1980's

• G-Man

• Falling in Love with Jazz

1990's

• Old Flames

• This Is What I Do

2000's

Too early to tell!

Fifties:

- SAXOPHONE COLOSSUS

- FREEDOM SUITE

- WAY OUT WEST

- A NIGHT AT THE VILLAGE VANGUARD

- NEWK'S TIME

Sixties:

- SONNY MEETS HAWKS

+ What is now the BONUS TRACKS of THE STANDARD SONNY ROLLINS (meaning the long version of NOW'S THE TIME, FIFTY SECOND STREET THEME, TRAV'LIN' LIGHT, etc.)

For the other decades, I'm afraid I just don't know.

Edited by P.L.M

Looks like the sessions for 2000, so far, are "This Is What I Do" and "Without A Song: The 9/11 Concert [Live]. Have you heard these? They sound very good coming from a guy whose been playing masterful jazz in each of the last 7 decades...............

Don't forget about his latest, "Sonny Please", which is currently available exclusively through his website, but is to be available through normal retail sources shortly.

Edited by Aggie87

• 8 years later...

I think we need a new volume of Road Shows to brighten the mood.  What say you, Sonny?

And actually, Sony owns the RCA tape archives and has Sonny under contract (under the Okeh imprint).  They can easily do a "bootleg series" for Sonny.  I nominate for the first release, an authorized version of:

5138iVGOY8L._SX425_.jpg

I missed this thread the first time around, but the decade by decade thing is an interesting frame. With Jim's previous caveat in mind -- the records are by no means the whole story; true for any artist but particularly Sonny -- here are my picks. This was actually easier to do than I thought it would be at first glance. Pretty clear choices all the way around.

1950s: "A Night at the Village Vanguard"

1960s: "Alfie" (but on another day I might pick "The Standard Sonny Rollins" and the reality is that if bootlegs were an option, I'd take the 9/6/68 Copenhagen recordings or the 11/4/65 Paris concert with Taylor and Rovere)

1970s: "The Cutting Edge" (underrated)

1980s: "G Man" (but "Falling in Love with Jazz" is also underrated)

1990s: "Sonny Rollins + 3"

2000s:  "This is What I Do"  ("Road Shows Vol. 3" might be contender if it counts since all the tracks were recorded between 2001-12)

2010s: "Road Shows Vol. 2" (all tracks from 2010)

I think we need a new volume of Road Shows to brighten the mood.  What say you, Sonny?

And actually, Sony owns the RCA tape archives and has Sonny under contract (under the Okeh imprint).  They can easily do a "bootleg series" for Sonny.  I nominate for the first release, an authorized version of:

5138iVGOY8L._SX425_.jpg

I agree, if not a new Road Shows, how about a new studio album. I know Sonny is basically retired, but one last swan song from one of the greatest tenor players in history would be a treat. But a new Road Show may have to do. I have accumulated  nearly 475 private recording by Rollins, and there is a ton of material, for many Road shows.  

I'd say 5 (or more) from the '50s, 3 (or more) from the '60s and anyone's guess after that.

I agree with Chuck.

For my taste, the fifties had a load of outstanding recordings by Rollins as both leader and sideman.I liked a few things from the sixties, but after that there were some recordings i enjoyed, but nothing at the level of his 50;s sessions.

Just my opinion.